1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 dies when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blue line
My fit with 104,000 started to give me a bit of trouble, stunmbling, sometimes to a stall on cold first starts. No CE light. Had read a lot about this on this forum and decided to bite the bullet and pay for the valve adjustments. During the process the tech came outow far off and ask me look at how far off, (3/intakes and 3/exhaust) they valves were by demonstrating the space with a feeler gauge. Something to said for hydraulic valves, which we don't have.
Car runs fantastic, I will do it again at another 50K

Hydraulic valves are not that good for 5000 + rpm; Suzuki has the best self valve clearancing I've seen; they are good to more than 10,500 rpm on long race tgrack enduros. And thats the swift, not the cycles. when you want precise valve action tappets, or something like tappets action, are the right stuff.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blue line
Valves (.007/.011) intake/exhuast Yours are not. This is most likley what is causing your troubles.

Eh, wot? I agree with your specs but I have no idea what you're saying.

The problem with setting valve clearances is the misperception as to just what the feeler gage feels like when sliding between the valve and rocker tappet. When its sliding back and forth is the correct measurement, not when gage is still.
The right amount of 'friction' is aleways difficult to teach. Too much and the clearance is too tight and too little is too loose.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone -

Just wanted to give you an update on my car. The problem with my car seemed to be the coils, and NOT the valves. All 4 coils were replaced on Wednesday and the car has not stalled when cold yet. No more sputtering and a noticeable difference in power (yay!).

I have a 2008 Fit Sport M/T, just in case anyone is in the same boat with the same car.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Unhappy 2007 fit on fourth battery

I bought my Fit in Aug. 2006. I live in the great white frozen north. Dec. 2006 when we had the first cold period my Fit started but with great groaning. The next winter it just died. 17 months old and it was deader than a door nail. With great protest Honda replaced the battery no charge in 2008. 2009 just a bit past the 12 month warranty and after many boosts the battery died again - no hope of resurrection another new battery. Early 2011 another dead battery replaced it again. March 2012 dies again - replaced again, this time under warranty. this brings us to Dec. 2012 - first cold snap and it is dead again. I am currently waiting for CAA/AAA to tow it to the dealership. Of course my car was the last in the driveway so my husband it currently trapped in. He is not a happy camper.

I guess I should learn to just pony up the money and replace the battery annually. Honda says it isn't a battery problem - yet replacing the battery solves all the problems.

Has anyone else had similar issues with batteries on their Fit?

It would be nice to know the numbers and feed them back to Honda.

TTFN
Stuck in the frozen north

Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skyedale
I bought my Fit in Aug. 2006. I live in the great white frozen north. Dec. 2006 when we had the first cold period my Fit started but with great groaning. The next winter it just died. 17 months old and it was deader than a door nail. With great protest Honda replaced the battery no charge in 2008. 2009 just a bit past the 12 month warranty and after many boosts the battery died again - no hope of resurrection another new battery. Early 2011 another dead battery replaced it again. March 2012 dies again - replaced again, this time under warranty. this brings us to Dec. 2012 - first cold snap and it is dead again. I am currently waiting for CAA/AAA to tow it to the dealership. Of course my car was the last in the driveway so my husband it currently trapped in. He is not a happy camper.

I guess I should learn to just pony up the money and replace the battery annually. Honda says it isn't a battery problem - yet replacing the battery solves all the problems.

TTFN

Unfortunately, Honda's Asuza batteries have failed at an alarming rate. You're in a large group of Fit owners; just wait the next CR ratings come out.
Part of the problem is the Honda battery is an oddball size and like most oddballs don't get much attention. I and a couple others have replaced the Azusa with batterioes intended for vehicles with ones intended for lawn tractors etc and so far have have good luck but a second winter will be a true test.
Sorry but my Fit isn't here right now so I can't tell you the battery model.
The Miata troops (who I learned this from) are using WallyWorld U1R-7 batteries (mine may be the same) but you may want a more capable battery than the 260 CCA that provides as you're a lot colder than us. Measure the space allowed for your battery and find one thatr matches in the farm and garden battery section. The prices are more inexpensive too.
Good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 12-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joemango
get the valve clearances adjusted. It's due at 109k miles and it will need it too. Made my rough idle/cold stall problem disappear.
Yup- similar issue here with a rough idle when started cold and a valve adjustment solved it completely! 2007 Fit Sport 5MT w/ 88k miles

Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skyedale

TTFN
Just sold our '07 Fit when we got our '15 EX-L. Love the new one....

But as for batteries....our '07 battery was in the car for six years and refused to die. We had a bad winter coming so I figured I would finally just replace it as a precaution. That battery was going strong after six years and might still be working had I left it in that car.

Sometimes if one has a short battery life there are conditions that shorten its life. Short trips, extra electrical equipment added to the vehicle, weather, and more. Cold and heat both shorted their lives as does short trips where they never fully charge, etc. Adding more electrical loads has the same effect, running the battery down and not letting it fully recharge. Its called "deep cycling" and it is deadly to automotive style cranking batteries. I could elaborate but there are good texts out there that explain all of this.

So, some of these batteries lived LONG lives without trouble when used under "normal" conditions. While you many hear a lot about battery failures here its mostly because the people who had failures complain, the ones who had good service never mention it.

And as for valves:
Honda says adjust the valves at 109,000. Hans says set them every 40,000-50,000 just to be sure. Besides, you probably need a new valve cover gasket after all those miles anyway. :-)

Old 01-20-2020, 10:28 AM
It was the valves

it was the valves. My car would not stay running for about five minutes until it was warm First the cold star keep it running for like a minute or two and then it would shut off. I had my valves adjusted because of what I saw on this thread and it worked! The car runs better now and is more powerful and better on gas!