1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Newbie... Need Some Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
2 grand will get you a nice set of coilovers (probably the ProC's if they're still available) and a nice looking set of wheels/tires. i use 15x7 wheels 195/50/15 tires. i dont think endura-tech has any more GD kits left.

that's probably the best mod to start, lowering and adding wheels with aggressive offsets. GL with the mods.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
2 grand will get you a nice set of coilovers (probably the ProC's if they're still available) and a nice looking set of wheels/tires. i use 15x7 wheels 195/50/15 tires. i dont think endura-tech has any more GD kits left.

that's probably the best mod to start, lowering and adding wheels with aggressive offsets. GL with the mods.
@OP: lol... if you do have the money for coilovers then don't bother with springs, they will give a nice look and improved cornering, but nothing like coilovers, and it will wear out faster... btw most of the people don't keep the sway bar when upgrading to coilovers also this means you can easily find one in the for sale section if you're patient...

Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I think droping the car and getting new wheels and tires is definately going to be the first mod... I just want to know exactly what i need and which brands i can depend on. I dont really understand the difference between coilovers and springs... Which will be the best for my car? I just want to make sure i know every thing i need in order to drop it before i go somewhere and get hustled... I dont want 2g's to go down the drain.

Last edited by Yoshi11289; 09-15-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I owned my car for 2 years before I changed out the wheels and later on the springs... If you aren't racing and primarily interested in making improvements to your car that are easy to live with, improve the handling, extend the life of the suspension and drive train components get wheels that are light and with not so much offset that they create clearance problems and rub when you put shorter springs under it.... You can get a set of Swift Mach Sport Springs that drop the car a little but still ride very nicely but are more firm and offer more travel than any of the others... They work very well with the stock struts and shocks, don't cause premature wear like the other ones on the market that lack travel and cost $ 254 and I've read can be had for less at a place on ebay.... I still occasionally scrape the front lip on my car but I live on a dirt road and the closest town was built in the 1840s and most businesses driveways are steep because they were built before Honda built cars and most people here drive trucks. Definitely shop for wheels based on what they weigh... The stock 15" alloy wheels on the GD3 Sport weigh 17.4 lbs and are either 6" or 6.5" wide and Enkei RPF1s weigh 9.5 and are 7" wide in 15".... You will immediately be able to feel a difference in the way your car handles and performs and the wheels and springs will set you back about $1000.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM
My rep sucks so here goes. PLEASE DONT do any of this to your car. Surf this site in Fit Photos and Videos section first. These mods on a Honda are long gone (like 1995). We have moved on to bigger and better things with our Hondas, and have worked very hard to move past the Fast and Furious stereotype. Research the right parts for the right car before you buy. Dont waste your time with knock offs and plan your build.

Fit's have alot of older people driving them, and you may see some crazy things (neon lights, crazy painted engines, colored vacuum hoses, etc....). Look at all the threads and study others cars. This site DOES have a number of nice Fits check them out.

This is just my thoughts, many may agree or disagree. In the end YOU DO YOU, AND WE are not driving it.

Congrats on the FIT, they really are nice and fun. Have fun with it.

Last edited by Bthasht; 09-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
For lowering if your not wanting to slam the car then I would advise against Coilovers. I have the Skunk2 Pro C coilovers and as nice as they are, for daily driving they really suck at times. Before the coilovers I had Progress springs, those springs where very nice for daily driving. When you change the stock springs for lowering springs you typically loose ride quality but I really feel the the Progress springs where as good if not better then the stock springs. The progress springs took alot of the bounce and slop out of the stock ride and that paired with the rear sway bar the car was an absolute blast to drive.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Mn how many inches did you drop your fit??? Jus to get a rought idea of how much i should drop mine. Im leaning towards getting springs rather than coilovers for the reason you mentioned. This car is going to be for daily driving. Why do coilovers suck if its for daily driving?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Im guessing I dropped the car 2+ inches. With my 15" wheels I have no wheel gap. I can supply pics of the car on springs and coilovers if your interested

The reason coilovers aren't ideal for DD is because the ride becomes very bouncy and stiff. I see you live in Florida so the roads might be in better shape then up here in Minnesota, but when you are driving on rough roads it can be really unpleasant to drive.

One of these I might grab my camera and do a little video of some of the roads around here

Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Yoshi11289
How you doin peeps. I have a Purple 08 Honda Fit Sport (automatic) and i want to start doing some customizations... Only thing is, i dont know too much about cars and dont know where to start. I was thinking to start with the usual, like rims and sound system but if im gonna start doing mods i really want it to be perfect... I may not know specifics but i do know what i like
1. Black and Green. Definately want that to be the color scheme outside an in. Dont really have any ideas with regards to designs for the paint job or if i want to fade black to green or whatever. Could use some pics for some inspiration though

2. Lamborghini Doors. Call it lame but i just like it (probably wont happen anytime soon though)

3. Hid headlights with green foglights dont know about tail lights

4. I definately want to drop it... Just dont know how much. Im scared of dropping to low and causing damage going into steep drive ways or speed bumps or even parking blocks.

5. Performance is my weakest point but i do like fast lol . My friends say intake and exhaust are a given but beyond that ima wet match in a dark cave

6. Rims... I know... pretty straight forward but my question is how big? 17" or 18"??? And will it effect my ride quality if i go too big (18") as some people have told me? Also would want it to look flush with the rest of the car... how do i go about doing that?

Any way i know that was long but i would appreciate some help with a gameplan of where to start and how to follow up, from some of you more knowledgeable people out there. Im definately excited to get under way.

Here's our stand list for updating Fits for better driving. Disregard if you're wanting cosmetics.
1. Better wheels and tirtes, wheels 15, 16, or 17 WITH 45 MM offset.
195/40x17 , 205/45x16, or 195/40x17 tires.
2. Loering 1".
If you stick with stock wheels and tires but no lowering widen stance with 1/4" or 6 mm spacers.