1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Royal Purple Max ATF

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Royal Purple Max ATF

My 07 fit is closing in on 90k miles and will be due for a tranny fluid change. Has anyone used the Royal Purple in their transmission? Curious to see what everyone has used and the results.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
never used it in the fit. But my boy did a full fluid change in his sti. He said that the car ran smoother, the differential with the dccd controller didnt make as much noise going from open to closed as before on the subaru oem fluid. I mean its his opinion nothing we really tested out.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FattyMcGee
My 07 fit is closing in on 90k miles and will be due for a tranny fluid change. Has anyone used the Royal Purple in their transmission? Curious to see what everyone has used and the results.
Have you changed the tranny fluid?, if not I would not use Royal Purple. It would loosen up all the varnish and cause the trans to malfunction. For stock application its not need anyways. Royal Purple is a good fluid in the right application.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Have not changed it yet. I have heard some people say it doesnt matter if you change and others saying I could screw up the transmission if I use anything accept OEM fluid. Just wondering if anyone has used it without any problems.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FattyMcGee
Have not changed it yet. I have heard some people say it doesnt matter if you change and others saying I could screw up the transmission if I use anything accept OEM fluid. Just wondering if anyone has used it without any problems.
Its not under warranty so that doesn't matter, but OEM is all you need and since you should have changed it at least once already, I would not use RP. I think it would hurt your trans. The OEM fluid got you this far with out any problems why use Royal Purple? Honda has a new trans fluid DW-1 and is synthetic. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...omparison.html

Last edited by SilverBullet; 02-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the link Silver. I have changed the fluid once before and used the Honda fluid since it was still under warranty. I did not know that they had a synthetic now though. I will probably go that route.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Interesting visit to the Honda dealership this morning. Went to pick up 3 quarts of DW-1 and I hate it when I talk to people that have no idea what they are saying. I asked if they had the new DW-1 fluid and if I could use it in my 07 fit. He said they had it but that I would need to use the older fluid instead. I then asked him if they were phasing out the old fluid in place of the new one and he said yes....... I shrugged my shoulders and asked for him to explain to me what I am supposed to do when the Z-1 fluid is completely gone and I need to change my fluid. He excused himself then walked back to confer with some sort of higher up. A few minutes later he came back with 3 quarts of DW-1 and told me that he had it backwards and that the old fluid could not be used in 2011 models. That made much more sense. paid for the fluid and new crush washer (more on this later) then went on my way home to change it out.

I get the car jacked up, the plug off, and the fluid drained. grab the new crush washer to put it on the plug and.......he had given me the one for the oil plug. Needing the excercise anyway, I hopped on the 10speed and pedaled off to the dealer with the wrong washer. Strolled into the parts office rocking my cycling shorts and asked him why he would give me a oil drain washer when I bought 3 quarts of transmission fluid. Long story short, got the right washer as well as an extra one with 3 free quarts of fluid ( I just think he liked my shorts).

Fluid is in, went for a 20 mile drive and it shifts much, much better. The uphill shifting is smoother than I can ever remember it being. Thanks for listening

Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
I would say that really how would the fluid hurt?? I have used AMS and Royal Purple and others to include OEM. This is not just in my tranny but im talking in over all fluids. I would say this i have not really seen or felt any change with any fluid. Weather it be pricey top brands or cheaper OEM ones. Now i have never sent them in to get tested ethier. Which i need to look into doing soon. But i will say this i use to own a 03 evo 8. I beat that car every day always taking it to redline. Never had one problem with it used Royal Purple every 2-3k miles for the oil. That is what makes me like RP so much. But i did use AMS oil in my S2K just to give it a shot. Seemed like a good fluid as well. Over all i think it depends on you. I don't see any fluids hurting you except maybe youre pocket with the funds. But for me i am useing RP in my XB right now and will be switching the Fit over to it as well when it is time. I just feel like it gets more protection with it. But hey i'm probaly wrong and paying way to much for this fluid. No real proof till i get the fluids sent into the lab and they tell me how they did.

Last edited by 08fithappy; 02-03-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I looked around and everything when thinking of switching to RP and found things from both side of the argument. I don't know much about cars but there are a lot of people on here that do and they were pretty much equal in that half said I shouldnt switch and half said I could and wouldnt have anything to worry about. In the end, I really dont drive in extreme conditions and rarely go above 70 or climb any hills and 95% of my driving is freeway driving so I just went with the OEM.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
OEM is the way to go with MTF in a honda I asked all the instructors at school (uti) and they said RP is great in an engine but go with OEM Honda MTF so you dont run into problems...hope this helps

Old 02-05-2011, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
In my performance shop, I almost always recommend using oem transmission fluid, unless an aftermarket lsd requires something else. engine oil is a different story however. automatics are extremely particular on fluid type. fluid and oem additives are very important to internal clutch packs and their friction material. for instance if you buy royal purple and it has a different friction modifier than stock, and the clutch packs don't hold as well because the fluid is too "slick", the clutch packs will glaze and burn up...

Old 07-27-2021, 11:29 AM
Switching to aftermarket oil

I’m stationed in Italy. Honda fluid is 30+ dollars a quart. I bought three to do the small change but it was over 100 dollars. I have three quarts of royal purple and three of multi vehicle Castrol synthetic. I’ll let everyone know how the transition goes. 2009 Sport with 140K miles. I got it used with 105k and it was very very well maintained. This will be my first auto fluid change.