1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Check out this noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spdweb.net
I would say that's exactly right. We'll have to see how this new engine sounds if I ever get the car back from the dealer. I bet it will have the rattle... but hopefully not the knock. At least for some thousands of miles anyway. I wonder if anything can be done to prevent it.
I wouldn't worry about the replacement engine having this problem. I mean what are the chances. There's only a handful of people on this forum that have it.

I'd like to know if the tech who made the diagnosis is making an educated guess or if he verified a wrist pin being out of spec by taking a measurement.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by willy65000
I wouldn't worry about the replacement engine having this problem. I mean what are the chances. There's only a handful of people on this forum that have it.

I'd like to know if the tech who made the diagnosis is making an educated guess or if he verified a wrist pin being out of spec by taking a measurement.
I am just naturally a worrier. I'll drive my wife crazy for months listening to every little thing.

I very much doubt they did. MAY have pulled the pan but I doubt you could have even felt it by hand. They tried to do a valve adjustment first. Though I had just done one days earlier. Which is a good thing.. they had nothing to 'fix' that way. All in all they had the car for 7 hours.. who knows what they did.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
True. I kinda remember my EG Civic SI having a rattle around the same RPM when not under any load. Hopefully the engine rattle doesn't get any worse or cause problems down the road. I have auto OCD also and EVERY little squeak, creek, rattle, or clunk makes me go nuts trying to figure out why and what it is.

I have gotten use to the rattle.. just about all the 4 cyl Hondas I have owned ( 6 of them ) have a rattle somewhere in the mid RPM range under no load or very light load. Worse when the engine is cold. I attribute it to short piston skirts. Even the brand new 2012 Accord the dealer gave me to drive does it. It only had 150 miles on it. Sounds awful during a cold start.

The knock that everyone seems to be describing, at least in my case was diagnosed as a bad wrist pin. This also seems to be a problem with certain Honda engines... why they have problems with wrist pins I don't know. The only thing I can think of is lack of proper oiling. They are only oiled by "fling". Oil is thrown off the crankshaft and scrapped off the cyl wall by the lower oil ring. Some of this oil finds its way into the wrist pin.

Excessive idling, or running out of oil.. the wrist pins usually suffer first.

The 'good' news is that neither a loose wrist pin or sloppy pistons are really detrimental to an engine. They just sound like crap and make my OCD act up.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
You guys would have to be hospitalized if you had to spend a week or two driving an air cooled Volkswagen..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You guys would have to be hospitalized if you had to spend a week or two driving an air cooled Volkswagen..
Next time your in the Minneapolis area stop by and take a listen. I'll make sore they have a bed set aside for you at the local psych ward. This noise makes my 71 beetle sound like a brand new ceiling fan.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willy65000
Next time your in the Minneapolis area stop by and take a listen. I'll make sore they have a bed set aside for you at the local psych ward. This noise makes my 71 beetle sound like a brand new ceiling fan.
That sounds real bad.... To tell you the truth, I can't stand the noise in my Fit between 3000 and 4000 RPM but it is related to intake and exhaust... For all I know my car could be making the same noises yours does.. I just adjusted the valves but I need to install a Weapon R intake manifold after my throttle body is sent off to be bored and I am also having to put in a new exhaust manifold gasket... It's getting to where it takes a long time to finish projects that I start..

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed
Honda rattle - YouTube

Not even half as bad as the OP.. more like the second posters video under the hood.. Maybe my ears are just tuned to it... I dunno.

The strange thing about both these cars is their mid range power was not smooth at all.. The Accord and this Fit both surge at 50% + throttle in the mid rpm range.. 2500 - 4000.

My conclusion on that... call me insane if you will... the knock sensor is picking up this rhythmic tap/knock and mistaking it for slight detonation is pulling timing sporadically.

Another similarity... below average MPG. Granted this is my first tank of gas.. they filled it at the dealer.. but I only got 238 miles? What?
lol
omg, i have exact same issue, except mine is automatic 5 spd, i adjusted my valve today again, it was quiet for the first 5 minutes. i also have idle misfire, i thought maybe i didn't adjust my valves properly 3 months ago, so i did it again today.

but even after i adjusted my valves, the engine is still somewhat noisy and has random misfire at idle maybe once every other stop light. it runs fine while on highway or while the car is moving though... mpg is shit too, far from advertised number as well, doing 10L/100 (worst than my 1999 integra, 8.7L/100 with Hondata). I bought this 2008 Fit second hand last year, ran pretty good first 3 months I had it.

This is mine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZT1GnRTGtM

Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I think the surge that spdweb.net is describing is the VTEC transition when all 8 intake valves begin opening instead of just 4 of them... It occurs at about half way between 3000 and 4000 RPM on a stock engine..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by codenamezero
omg, i have exact same issue, except mine is automatic 5 spd, i adjusted my valve today again, it was quiet for the first 5 minutes. i also have idle misfire, i thought maybe i didn't adjust my valves properly 3 months ago, so i did it again today.

but even after i adjusted my valves, the engine is still somewhat noisy and has random misfire at idle maybe once every other stop light. it runs fine while on highway or while the car is moving though... mpg is shit too, far from advertised number as well, doing 10L/100 (worst than my 1999 integra, 8.7L/100 with Hondata). I bought this 2008 Fit second hand last year, ran pretty good first 3 months I had it.

This is mine...
Honda Fit GE - injectors click or valves tick? - YouTube
Forf crying out loud, for the ten thousandth time, buy a $50 OBD checker from one of the aftermarket parts suppliers and check for probkems. In about 1 in 4 coil pak prblems, more than one pak has to be replaced.
In general, if opne pak fails, replace all 4 and plugs,
Besides, there are a number of other things that can yield similar results and you need to be at least equal to tghe mechanic.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
My car is at 73k mi. The noise is still intermittent, but louder than ever when it is present. I have a rare once-in-a-while backfire/detonation, but no codes. Maybe needs a throttle body cleaning for the detonation.

The car is still fun as heck to drive and pulls pretty well. In other words, I havent been able to break it yet.

@codenamezero: I don't know what your noise is, but my noise is not valve related. I know this because I have been through the valves myself.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
I'm reviving this thread just to throw in an update. Not looking to stir up the dust.

Approx. 82k miles. I've been short-shifting and going for high mpg over the past few months. The engine noise usually doesn't show itself unless I rev up well into VTEC. However, yesterday I got to hammering on the Fit and blasting up to redline repeatedly. Just good, clean fun, as you all know. By the time I got to my garage to park it, the noise was clacking away louder than ever. I was indeed concerned. But two blips of the throttle and it vanished again.

Does that sound like something is sticking or what? VTEC solenoid? VTEC valve? Something like that?

Just thinkin' out loud here, sportsfans.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
I'm reviving this thread just to throw in an update. Not looking to stir up the dust.

Approx. 82k miles. I've been short-shifting and going for high mpg over the past few months. The engine noise usually doesn't show itself unless I rev up well into VTEC. However, yesterday I got to hammering on the Fit and blasting up to redline repeatedly. Just good, clean fun, as you all know. By the time I got to my garage to park it, the noise was clacking away louder than ever. I was indeed concerned. But two blips of the throttle and it vanished again.

Does that sound like something is sticking or what? VTEC solenoid? VTEC valve? Something like that?
Just thinkin' out loud here, sportsfans.
The fact your piston slap doesn't show til well up in rpm is not unusual with a piston 'bearing' failure; it comes on gradually usdually.
It could be something goofy like hte interference in some way with the piston and actuation system. But I still think the piston 'bearing' is at fault and yes thats an engine partial teardown.
Is there a way to isolate the sound in the engine with a recorder under the hood in various places? An external mic is useful to isolate the source of funny sounds while the car is driven.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
I realized this noise in my Fit a couple days ago when I was in the drive thru with my window open. I will be doing a valve adjustment in the next couple of weeks. If replacing the piston rods is easy enough, I may proceed with that as well. I do have 154,xxxkm on her and really do wanna get this issue fixed. Prefabably by myself.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
I realized this noise in my Fit a couple days ago when I was in the drive thru with my window open. I will be doing a valve adjustment in the next couple of weeks. If replacing the piston rods is easy enough, I may proceed with that as well. I do have 154,xxxkm on her and really do wanna get this issue fixed. Prefabably by myself.
My fit has been making a god awful piston slap/lower engine rattle type noise for the last 90K and still keeps going. If I were you I would just drive the car and if the engine goes just buy a used one and have it put in.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:30 PM
Metallic noise!!

Originally Posted by TMH42
I do, however we specialize in the higher-end and exotic cars. We do service everyday cars as well but our mechanics aren't Honda Master Techs.

We provide a brokering service which is how I originally sold this Fit when new.
2009 Honda Fit sport auto 165k I’ve serviced it on time I keep hearing this metallic noise only when I’m driving above 25mph I put foot on gas I hear a metallic noise take my foot off goes away any idea!!! I’ve changed water pump tensioner,belt,tranny fluid, and oil changes when due full synthetic noise is annoying I took my egr valve off today and I hit it against my palm sounds like something is loose in there but idk if that’s good or bad any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 02-07-2023, 10:16 PM
i have the same thing and removed every heat shield (bc theres a turbo now) and the sound is still there

Old 02-07-2023, 11:23 PM
Fit making weird noise

Originally Posted by I_IQ_I
i have the same thing and removed every heat shield (bc theres a turbo now) and the sound is still there

So as of now mines turned out it was a bad bearing & also my break pads are messed up and also my shield behind my rotor was touching a bit. But tommorow I will also change my pads to oem ones (eBay auto zone shit sucks)my fit has 183k running good but all highway miles

Old 02-08-2023, 12:47 PM
oh yeah, i had the same thing but it was so rusted i could pull it out with the weel bolted to the hub. i hate rust

theres other good options regarding break pads and rotors but if you bought them already then too late