1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Headlight switch SNAFU

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Headlight switch SNAFU

I've read a thread or two about a few users on here that have had issues with their headlight switches. Let me start off by saying that this issue only started to occur after having the headlight switch recall performed on the car (2008 Sport 5AT). Dealership replaced switch as part of recall and within 3 weeks my fiancee and I started noticing that when activating the right turn signal, while driving with the headlights on, the high-beams would come on. Only the right turn signal would do this. Started to assume that some poor contacts in the switch were responsible and dealer confirmed that the switch was defective and installed new headlight switch.

Guess what, 2 weeks later same thing. We are currently on our 3 new headlight switch, 4th for the car (including switch from the factory). What chaps my ace is that we never had this issue until a new switch was installed during the recall service, what gives? I'm guessing the parts supplier for the switch made a crap ton of these bad replacement switches for the recall with lax quality control and we just keep getting a new switch of the same lot. Anyone else have a situation like this? Love the car otherwise, but this is a pain (one dealer appt. for diagnosis, one for when the part comes in, times 4, you get the picture).

Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I am experiencing the same thing

I had my headlight switch harness recall done in May (the headlight switch didn't fail then, not it was not replaced). My low beam and fog just stopped working 3 weeks ago. So I went back to the dealer and they said the headlight switch was shorted out and they replaced it and it was paid for by Honda out of goodwill. Shortly after that, I noticed my high beam would turn itself on when I turn on the either turn signal with the headlight on. This issue can easily be replicated by gently tapping the headlight switch stack forward when both low beam and either turn signal were on.

Checked the car back in the dealer now and I hope the new switch they put in won't be a bad one again.

I know this is an old thread, but what's your situation now?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM
fai07, good luck is all I have to say about that. Honestly, after Honda did the headlight switch recall on our '08 Sport, every switch they put in had that exact same issue (when headlights were on, high beams would come on with right turn signal activated). And yes, I could replicate the issue and the dealer was able to see the issue first-hand. This happened multiple times, and shortly after our 4th switch was put in I heard an audible fizzling noise coming from the headlight stalk after turning on the car and switching on the headlights. Problem came right back. This issue, and some other issues (completely random and sporadic ABS activation) prompted us to actually get rid of the car in May and get a Mazda2. So far, best decision we could have made. Basically, our car was going to be out of warranty, and we didn't want to have all these ongoing issues, or even an electrical fire due to these shorting switches. Not worth it. Got top dollar for our trade and it's been piece of mind with the Mazda. My advice, call NA Honda and open a case to keep track of this, trust me, it will happen again. Pretty sure it's due to defective supplier made switches or damage from the recall work. Wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice Retroactivity, I am crossing my finger since they will put in the new switch tomorrow. If the problem do come back I will sure give American Honda a call. It's a shame that Honda doesn't build cars like they used to anymore.