1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

New Recall on 2007-2008 Fits

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
New Recall on 2007-2008 Fits

Received a notice in the mail today from Honda concerning a second recall about the drivers side front door switch unit.
They say that even with the water shield they installed during the last recall about the switch, water can still get into the switch.
Parts will be available in the fall for switch replacements.
Gregg

Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, this is a pain in the ass if you ask me. More interaction with my local dealer = more headaches.

For the last two recalls (both done at Conicelli Honda) they:
A. Left greasy hand prints on my seat and door card (was disgusted and just left and cleaned it myself). The window switch suddenly started not letting me put my rear right window up randomly after this "fix". Still does it, but if I wait a few minutes it starts working again.

B. Broke the steering column plastic surround (when doing the headlight switch recall)...had to bring it back to get them to fix. Tech obviously thinks customers are idiots and won't notice things like this.

I'd much rather Honda offer the option to install the upgraded part myself, though I know that's not possible for liability reasons (person installs switch wrong, car burns to the ground in person's garage, burns down house, kills family). Really tired of shitty dealer interactions.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jared592
Yep, this is a pain in the ass if you ask me. More interaction with my local dealer = more headaches.

For the last two recalls (both done at Conicelli Honda) they:
A. Left greasy hand prints on my seat and door card (was disgusted and just left and cleaned it myself). The window switch suddenly started not letting me put my rear right window up randomly after this "fix". Still does it, but if I wait a few minutes it starts working again.

B. Broke the steering column plastic surround (when doing the headlight switch recall)...had to bring it back to get them to fix. Tech obviously thinks customers are idiots and won't notice things like this.

I'd much rather Honda offer the option to install the upgraded part myself, though I know that's not possible for liability reasons (person installs switch wrong, car burns to the ground in person's garage, burns down house, kills family). Really tired of shitty dealer interactions.
That's part of the reason I have never had it done. It's working fine and I can't afford to be stranded for a day. Honda has too many recalls, they need to do better..some of us only have 1 car.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Yup, aren't dealerships outstanding Jared? It is like entering a house of horrors. My dealer backed one of my cars into a floor jack as they were so eloquently attempting to do a final checkout of my new car before turning it over to me. Larry, Moe and Curly had to do body work on my car before I even drove it for the first time.
:
I got my notification yesterday. Since I just bought the car and had the "new" shield put on, I can assume they inspected the window switch at that time so I won't be bringing it in just for another inspection. Paragraph #2 of the "What Should You Do" section says: "To help insure proper function until a new switch is available,................." This seems to imply that they are automatically going to install new switches this time. I was assuming they were just going to put on a different style of hoodie. Any insights from our insiders here????

Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Jared pretty much said it for me. One warranty service on that driver's window is enough for me. I still can't get the armrest to mount properly. I think that plastic tabs are broken off.

Looks like everyone in this thread is on the same page with this.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I've ignored the recalls on my GD3 simply because I can't stand setting foot in a Honda dealership after they ripped me off on my first visit. I either fix anything myself or go to an independent if it's something I can't handle. So far, everything under the recalls is working fine.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
They go for recalls on easy and cheap stuff only. They never touch expensive and dangerous issues like this one:

Service Bulletin

Honda FIT Steering - 2007 HONDA FIT Problems With Steering

Over $1K for the Electronic Steering Unit.

Chris

Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm. Problems with steering? Never saw that.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM
I have that steering problem especially when car left in hot temps for long time. When it happens you gotta know how to handle the car as NO power steering AT ALL, exactly how cars used to be 20+ years ago, right?
It sucks big time but personally I don't have the money for the repair.
Chris

Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
The TSB says they replace the EPS under warranty. No money required. Or am I missing something here?

Replacing an EPS seems like a no fuss, no muss op. to me. Low anxiety for us in this thread.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM
1) Sorry, what's TSB?
2) When the steering issue started on my car: over 200K MILES mileage
3) Brand-new parts: $1,000 plus tax plus labor.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2007Fit5AT

1) Sorry, what's TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin. In effect, it is the recall notice as it appears to dealer service departments.

2) When the steering issue started on my car: over 200K MILES mileage
I think you're still covered, bud. This is a major safety issue. Honda doesn't want to litigate the case when your power steering goes out and you plow into a bunch a school children crossing the street.

3) Brand-new parts: $1,000 plus tax plus labor.
If it's warranty, then this is not your problem.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM
LOL
My friend, Honda has NEVER EVER issued any recall on the Electronic Steering Power (EPS) Unit.
Free of charge, parts and labor, if your car is still under warranty. Out of warranty, obviously I've called Honda Canada, they've asked about the car mileage, the guy started laughing at me. But he asked me where did I find out about the EPS Service Bulletin. Dealers are prohibited to advice customers about such Service Bulletins.
But again, never ever a Honda recall on the EPS issue, 2007 up to date.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM
E J
5 Year Member
Just bought my Fit in Feb. and got the recall notice yesterday. According to their website, it wasn't recalled the first time for this so are they now recalling ALL 07-08's?

I had to read the letter twice to make sure I was seeing it right. They want me to drop the car off for half a day so it can be inspected, and if it's not ready to catch fire, bring it back a second time when there are more parts available.

Also, they don't want me to park it in my garage. Instead I should leave it outside....in the rain.....so water can get inside the door???

I'd like to see before/after pics as far as what they are doing to correct this.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
LOL
My friend, Honda has NEVER EVER issued any recall on the Electronic Steering Power (EPS) Unit.
Free of charge, parts and labor, if your car is still under warranty. Out of warranty, obviously I've called Honda Canada, they've asked about the car mileage, the guy started laughing at me. But he asked me where did I find out about the EPS Service Bulletin. Dealers are prohibited to advice customers about such Service Bulletins.
But again, never ever a Honda recall on the EPS issue, 2007 up to date.

I'm sorry. I don't think I understand what you are saying.

I'm looking at TSB 09-043. Dated July, 7, 2009. It's the TSB in the link above.

You say, "Honda has NEVER EVER issued any recall on the Electronic Steering Power (EPS) Unit." Why are you saying this?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Marrk
I'm sorry. I don't think I understand what you are saying.

I'm looking at TSB 09-043. Dated July, 7, 2009. It's the TSB in the link above.

You say, "Honda has NEVER EVER issued any recall on the Electronic Steering Power (EPS) Unit." Why are you saying this?
YES, NO EPS RECALL AT ALL, NEVER EVER!!!

When a particular recall is announced, it applies to all vehicles in the recall category no matter if they are still in warranty OR out of warranty. As you can easily see in that particular EPS TSB, for the out-of-warranty Fits and Civic Hybrids it's up to the Service Manager to do it for free or at your own expense, obviously nobody is gonna do a very expensive job, over $1K, for free if they are not mandated by any national recall.

Why no EPS recall at all? No crash with victims b/c of the EPS issue YET.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
I see. You are saying that it's a TSB, not a recall per se.

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Marrk
I see. You are saying that it's a TSB, not a recall per se.

Thanks.
YES, just an ordinary TSB, unfortunately and sadly not a recall as well.

Sometimes the issue goes away in couple of secs, other times in minutes or even... HOURS, that includes city and/or highway driving with NO Power Steering AT ALL. Very hard to steer, similar to all old cars before 1990 I think.

Brand-new EPS Unit: $1,000 + tax. Plus labor.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Can we talk about the window switch recall and not issues with other TSB's.

I haven't received my notice, yet.

For the person with the broken armrest, its 20 bucks for the new at the dealer.

Sounds like alot of you are way to picky, and complain about small things. So what the car was a little dirty, deal with it. Its a car, not the Mona Lisa.

When I took my Honda in for the last recall, they broke my piece under the armrest, I was more greatful for the fix, than the damage.
Some people here act like they drive a 500k car, its the cheapest Honda made.
GET OVER IT.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
Can we talk about the window switch recall and not issues with other TSB's.

I haven't received my notice, yet.

For the person with the broken armrest, its 20 bucks for the new at the dealer.

Sounds like alot of you are way to picky, and complain about small things. So what the car was a little dirty, deal with it. Its a car, not the Mona Lisa.

When I took my Honda in for the last recall, they broke my piece under the armrest, I was more greatful for the fix, than the damage.
Some people here act like they drive a 500k car, its the cheapest Honda made.
GET OVER IT.

I don't have to respond to this, do I? No, I don't. Good. Have a nice day.

Quick Reply: New Recall on 2007-2008 Fits