1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Stock 08 Fit M/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Stock 08 Fit M/T

I have an 08 Fit (obviously....) that is completely stock. I'm looking into adding in an intake system to help increase my hp and my gas mileage just a bit, just for starters, and where I live, the K&N intake system is not smog legal (I live in CA).... I was looking into getting the Fujita cold air intake system or the short ram, but I'm not sure of what the difference is between the two... besides price.
Besides the Fujita, what intake system would you guys suggest for me to look up and into getting...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
just get a k&n drop in filter. an intake won't really make it get better gas mileage. plus you won't have to worry when it comes time to smog your car

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ I agree. You won't get better fuel efficiency by changing your intake. You might get 1-3 horsepower, but it's negligible really.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Your mpg might actually go down with an aftermarket filter according to what I have read. I'm no expert though and this is the internets so....................

Last edited by BlackUp; 10-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Snow White
I have an 08 Fit (obviously....) that is completely stock. I'm looking into adding in an intake system to help increase my hp and my gas mileage just a bit, just for starters, and where I live, the K&N intake system is not smog legal (I live in CA).... I was looking into getting the Fujita cold air intake system or the short ram, but I'm not sure of what the difference is between the two... besides price.
Besides the Fujita, what intake system would you guys suggest for me to look up and into getting...
Short Ram = draws in air from the engine bay, hotter, less power
Cold Air = draws in air from outside the engine bay, cooler, more power

Realistically, on a stock L15 I don't think you'd see much difference between the two. They sound different for sure though, cold air is much less obnoxious lol

I'd just get whatever is CARB legal at the lowest price. I just got a K&N drop-in and left it at that. IMO Honda did an excellent job desigining the stock intake and don't feel like it really needs to be messed with unless you're getting serious with the motor.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the help you guys.
And Wanderer, I have to agree, Honda did do a great job designing the stock intake, I just get a little ahead of myself sometimes and I "plan" out all these ideas to how to change my car... -___-

Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I was curious on this as well. Just looking at eBay pictures for aftermarket crap had me wondering how pulling hot air from the engine bay would increase HP, especially here in socal. 80 degrees in October!?

My real concern is a sportier exhaust. I've seen a bunch of youtube vids ranging from classy to downright obnoxious. I'd like a meaner, deeper sounding exhaust, but I'm not sure what to go for. Are there any HP gains to be had, and would I have to reprogram my ECU somehow to make up for the change in backpressure?

I'd like to avoid wrecking my engine just for the sake of sounding louder with no HP gains.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Short Ram = draws in air from the engine bay, hotter, less power
Cold Air = draws in air from outside the engine bay, cooler, more power
Short ram intakes do have an advantage - better engine response

Cold-air intakes lose response

Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
both have hot air entering the engine.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Short ram intakes do have an advantage - better engine response

Cold-air intakes lose response
Yes, that's a good point, I have seen this myself on a DIY intake I extended behind the bumper I did years ago. Ran a short ram for the longest time and after extending it I left the garage and immediately felt less responsive to throttle.

It was quieter (in the cabin anyway) so I just left it lol

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 AM
have you considered the HKS turbo kit for the fit? =)