1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Need some info on high flow catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Need some info on high flow catalytic converters

I bought headers and an exhaust system for my fit. This is the exhaust kit I bought and currently have on my car,Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust Honda Fit 2006-2008 2007 HS06HF1GTP .

After spending that much money I went with these headers,
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And I don't regret a thing! (The one album I have shows these installed on my fit.) However, my exhaust kit didn't come with a catalytic converter. I still have the stock one on there. The two pictures below will show the top of the pipe and the converter underneath the car, one end hooked to the new headers and the other hooked to the new exhaust.

I was looking for a high flow catalytic converter to replace the stock one with. I can't really find on, expect on auto zone, a bunch of magna flow ones. But I would like input from some experienced people first. I am new to fixing up my fit and Im ready to take it further.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, that's pretty much it. You could get a Magnaflow cat that has an inlet and outlet size of your header and exhaust and take it to a muffler shop to do the piping (assuming they don't have a plug in play model with the size you need).

Seeing that you're in Florida, another option is getting a test pipe, like T1R's since you don't have a smog check.

A&J Racing :: Exhaust :: Converters and Downpipes :: T1R Racing Convertor - Honda Fit/Jazz 06-08 (GD3/GD4)

Hope that helps. Oh if you decide to go with a high flow cat or test pipe, are you going to sell your OEM cat? If so, I would like to buy it

Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I heard that a test pipe is the way to go, however, like I said I'm a little new. This is my everyday car, and as of right now I'm taking all the restrictions off until I find another upgrade I want to do.

I'm wondering since it says for race use only, does that just mean they don't want people like me buying these? Or would this damage my car due to the high flow of exhaust?

I would sell it, but I always have in the back of my head that one day I may sell this fun little car, so I kept all my parts to put back onto the car so people wouldn't avoid buying it because it had upgrades.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Typically, "Race Use Only" is to cover the manufacturer's butt, in this case modifying an emission component (or removing one). But since Florida doesn't do emission test, you could get away with it. With a stock motor, a test pipe shouldn't cause any real harm. It will lean out the air fuel ratio, but it should still be safe (typically OEM makes them pretty rich). But to be safe, if you do decide to do a test pipe, take it to a dyno and see where your air fuel ratio is at. Also a test pipe will make your exhaust louder, so if your exhaust came with a silencer, you might see yourself putting it on if it's not on already.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Yea my system came with one. I might put it on haha, I don't want to be annoying my neighbors to much with it.

I searched for a dyne shop and one is down the street from me.

Thanks for your help Wytt, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Nevermind about that test pipe dude, they shot me an email saying it was discontinued.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Nevermind about that test pipe dude, they shot me an email saying it was discontinued.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
You could try some of their dealers to see if they have any left over in stock, like Evasive:
Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: T1R Test Pipe - Honda Fit 07+

If not, you could take it to a muffler shop and have them make a test pipe.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
I took mine off and cut a 2x2 or so hole in it and gutted it then welded it back together with a nice piece of sheet steel. Turned out really good and sounds nice (I think anyway). Not exactly "Legal" but in Ohio no one really cares. 'Less I ran headers only! Haha

Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Nice. I ended up getting a Megan Racing straight Flow. Love it! Though, when the car sits till and vibrates, it makes a squeaky type noise. Not sure if I tighter the spring bolts too tight or too loose. I put an 02 simulator on and other than just that little squeak it runs perfectly.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 AM
I think I've read somewhere on here that something in the dash likes to squeak. Not to sure though. I think I hear it in mine at times as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ZTHammonds
I bought headers and an exhaust system for my fit. This is the exhaust kit I bought and currently have on my car,Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust Honda Fit 2006-2008 2007 HS06HF1GTP .

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And I don't regret a thing! (The one album I have shows these installed on my fit.) However, my exhaust kit didn't come with a catalytic converter. I still have the stock one on there. The two pictures below will show the top of the pipe and the converter underneath the car, one end hooked to the new headers and the other hooked to the new exhaust.

I was looking for a high flow catalytic converter to replace the stock one with. I can't really find on, expect on auto zone, a bunch of magna flow ones. But I would like input from some experienced people first. I am new to fixing up my fit and Im ready to take it further.

regardless of who may say so, there is no such thing as a high flow catalytic converter. the purpose of a catalytic converter is to convert remaing nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide etc into compounds, such as carbon dioxide, that can be released with less harm to the environment. Those conversions require intimate contact with catalsts, moslt platinum, and sufficient residence time for the conversions t occur.
many 'tuners' have tried to get higher flows with more cross-section with finer 'open' area in the exhaust container or using more baffles and by increasing container length, but there really has not been much success. The only success we had required cat converters that were too big ti fit in the car.. worse, the pressure drop was too great as well; one of the difficulties with bigger cross sections is the change in exhaust flow velocity which means more pressure drop.

The headers and after cat exhaust is pretty much the lesser of evils.
Oh, and don't rod out the cat either if you want to avoid troubles with the envirogestopo. The stock cats are pretty goodso itsnot likeyou're goig to get a big gain anyway.

Last edited by mahout; 04-18-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 AM
BTW they have trucks with smog devices on em in certain states you could get a ticket and there not light fines neither they don't mess around no more unless you have a classic car with certain designations and mileage restrictions

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ZTHammonds

And I don't regret a thing! (The one album I have shows these installed on my fit.) However, my exhaust kit didn't cCatalytic Converter , Cat Converters, Replacement Catalytic Converter at Partstrain.comome with a catalytic converter. I still have the stock one on there. The two pictures below will show the top of the pipe and the converter underneath the car, one end hooked to the new headers and the other hooked to the new exhaust.

catalytic converter

Apologize for reviving this up. Just a share with this. Actually had no problem with magnaflow. In fact got weld it into the exhaust , get the correct size measured and there you go. It's working great. I guess in that way it wont have to have built in or anything else especially if you had the issue on the header.