1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Torque converter problem with 08'

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Torque converter problem with 08'

Hello everyone,

My wife has a 2008 fit auto with 70k on it. Just recently we have been experiencing a pulse or surge when the car is stopped and in drive. it feels like the TC is trying to engage and move the car forward. Has this happened to anyone? When moving the car drive 100% normal with lockout and everything. The car seems to do it more often in the heat and when the AC is running.
Any help?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
After further reading it seems this could be an AC compressor problem. any ideas?

Last edited by deadphishy; 08-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Problem

Okay so I have an 08 automatic fit. (currently 70k miles)

FUNNY STORY...lol...you were correct the first post (Torque Converter)

When my fit-auto-'08 had around 68k I got the same stuttering kind of effect, anyone in the car would notice it. have a carMD auto diagnostic tool and it said the tc was not functioning properly. So did dealership. my car's warranty was of course expired.

LONG STORY SHORT: torque converter piece: $1300, then $400 to "move the tranny". It did, however, fix the problem (they also replaced o2 sensor, tranny fluid, oil and tie rod ends for an extra $100 which I gladly accepted)

Price sucks, but it did make the fit run like new.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy I have been told my Torque Converter on my Honda Fit Sport 2007 is sick.

I went to my local Honda Dealership to have them check why my 2007 Honda Fit Sport was still acting weird. And after a lot of tests the service manager came out and asked if the "Head Tech" could drive along with me to see if I could get the my car to act out what was wrong. So we did a test drive together. And at first everything seemed fine? Then on the expressway my car made the moves it has been doing for over a month. And the "Head Tech" said he felt it and this diagnosis was it's the "Torque Converter" he said the ballpark figure would be around $800.00 for parts and $800.00 for labor around $1,600.00 give or take. But he then asked what kind of gas I was using I told him whatever was cheapest. He said just make sure it's not anything with more then 10% ethanol. And he said it wouldn't hurt to even put in Ethanol Free Gasoline? But this stuff costs more per gallon. I was then told that I will really have to change the Torque Converter if the "D" light begins to flash or the engine light turns on.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
I had the surging issue as well.....and I fixed it by......wait for it....

Coil packs.

I was quite scared it was my tranny as well, considering Honda's reputation for auto trannies. But thank god the CEL came on a few days later about misfiring. Replaced the coil packs and the surging was gone.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have had the coil packs replaced?

Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
I had the surging issue as well.....and I fixed it by......wait for it....

Coil packs.

I was quite scared it was my tranny as well, considering Honda's reputation for auto trannies. But thank god the CEL came on a few days later about misfiring. Replaced the coil packs and the surging was gone.
Trust is one word I have little faith in anymore. So I will ask Honda could this have anything to do with the coil packs that they replaced. Thanks

Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I've had my flashing D light come on with a CEL. When it did, it was the code for the transmission fluid sensor shorting or not operating. I checked the fluid, and it was clean and full. The car was shifting fine, but when the CEL was on/D flashing it wouldn't shift above 3rd gear which is I believe is a safety on the ECU's part.

To clear it out, I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it was fine (I wasn't in a position at the moment to change the sensor). A week later it happened again. I went to pull the code with a OBD reader and the battery had drained just that short time I had the key in the ON position. I replaced the battery right there as it was the OEM battery I bought the car with six years ago. This was about 2 months ago, and I after I changed the battery I had no more problems with the sensor. I talked to a few techs and they said if the battery had dropped a cell, it could cause various issues with sensors shorting, losing power, etc.

Anyone ever heard of that?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:09 PM
I have the same problem as deadfishy at the beginning of this thread and strongly suspect the torque converter. My Fit is 2007 CVT bought in Mexico and has approx 70K (kilometers). The problem usually occurs shortly after start-up and I notice that without touching the gas pedal the engine revs rise to about 1500 and the drive tries to kick in causing the car to shudder and try to lurch forward (handbrake still on) - I've tried changing the transmission oil using the Honda CVT stuff but the problem is still there. Not every day and does not seem to occur once the car is thoroughly warmed up and not in heavy traffic. It doesn't seem to misfire so not sure about the coils answer. - Could something else cause the revs to rise without my input?