1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

How do I disconnect positive terminal of battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
How do I disconnect positive terminal of battery?

Feel like a bit of an idiot asking this but I'm trying to change the battery on my '07 Fit (will be putting in a 51R) but don't understand what the extra wire is on the positive battery terminal (see picture). Do I have to disconnect both of the circled screws or does this whole thing lift off the terminal as one piece? If so, how do I get the whole thing off?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gfrobe
Feel like a bit of an idiot asking this but I'm trying to change the battery on my '07 Fit (will be putting in a 51R) but don't understand what the extra wire is on the positive battery terminal (see picture). Do I have to disconnect both of the circled screws or does this whole thing lift off the terminal as one piece? If so, how do I get the whole thing off?

Thanks.
Just loosen the bolt closest to the post. No need too touch the othe one. Just a warning: I did the same switch and my positive terminal is now very loose, no matter how hard I tighten the bolt. I need a battery terminal shim and I hope to god Napa carries them, I'm going Monday.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. Do you have a 2007 as well? There are a few posts on here related to that problem and if you don't want to go the shim route, some suggest gently tapping the post with a hammer or mallet as the metal is soft and it will widen. I'm a bit wary of trying that given I can't even get the clamp off

Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. Do you have a 2007 as well? There are a few posts on here related to that problem and if you don't want to go the shim route, some suggest gently tapping the post with a hammer or mallet as the metal is soft and it will widen. I'm a bit wary of trying that given I can't even get the clamp off
I dunno if I'm game to start smacking my acid filled battery with a mallet. I'd just as easily unscrew a post and replace it with a larger post, I've seen them for sale. Another poster told me they do carry terminal shims at Walmart so I can always try there.

I also have a 2007 Honda Fit. Be aware that if you do this mod ou wil have to discard the battery cover and will have to cut of a part of the plastic base to accept the new battery.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
To get the positive terminal off, you really need an extension if you are to use a ratchet. The bolt size is 10mm hex

Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Just finished swapping the battery. Cut the tray as suggested in another thread and the battery fit fine.

I didn't need a shim on my battery as the positive post tightened just fine and holds well. I put in a Costco Kirkland 51R so if anyone else is installing that battery in an '07 Fit, I can confirm that no shim is needed.

MTLian, I assume you're putting in a different brand battery? Strange though as I figured all terminal posts for 51r would be standard and same size.

Last edited by gfrobe; 01-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just finished swapping the battery. Cut the tray as suggested in another thread and the battery fit fine.

I didn't need a shim on my battery as the positive post tightened just fine and holds well. I put in a Costco Kirkland 51R so if anyone else is installing that battery in an '07 Fit, I can confirm that no shim is needed.

MTLian, I assume you're putting in a different brand battery? Strange though as I figured all terminal posts for 51r would be standard and same size.
Nope. I installed a Costco brand 51r which is battery #11 by their numbering system. I've tried everything and it really won't hold tight enough for me, need the shim.