1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water leak in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I wish I had seen all this before drilling a 1" hole in the bottom of my wheel well so that water stops accumulating there!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Super thread on the issue, the only thing I would suggest is to not use silicone sealer, instead use Polyurethane, 3m makes a clear that is transparent. Its nasty stuff do it outdoors.. You can tell how much better material it is by the earth killing smell when you first put it on..

The advantages are that its a way stronger adhesive and is not as reactive to UV and some chemicals as silicone sealer. Its also paintable with most auto paint. Has a way better stretch factor too. Its basically what shops glue your Windshield in with..

Old 04-24-2016, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
So Despite my best sealing effort, I still have water in the trunk. I removed like 1.5 litres of water yesterday. It was water accumulated in the winter and spring, so it's a lot, but it took a long time for it to reach that amount. Still, really annoying. While swapping my Rubber winter carpet for my summer ones, I also notice my rear seat wells were super damp, so I pulled out the floor carpet... yep, water there too. So my Fit now as both leaking issue. I love my small car, I have it for 9 years now, but damn this really pissed me off. My car is clean from the outside, but Rust will eat it anyway because of that poor sealant Honda used. and I don't have time to dry it and repair this. So I feel more like "F*** it, tired of this". I don't have money for another cars, I wanted to wait 2018, but I think that next year the blue fit will go away.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sylak
So Despite my best sealing effort, I still have water in the trunk. I removed like 1.5 litres of water yesterday. It was water accumulated in the winter and spring, so it's a lot, but it took a long time for it to reach that amount. Still, really annoying. While swapping my Rubber winter carpet for my summer ones, I also notice my rear seat wells were super damp, so I pulled out the floor carpet... yep, water there too. So my Fit now as both leaking issue. I love my small car, I have it for 9 years now, but damn this really pissed me off. My car is clean from the outside, but Rust will eat it anyway because of that poor sealant Honda used. and I don't have time to dry it and repair this. So I feel more like "F*** it, tired of this". I don't have money for another cars, I wanted to wait 2018, but I think that next year the blue fit will go away.
Before you dump your car, consider using actual silicone caulk. If I recall correctly, you just used "Leak Seal" before. Silicone will last much longer and should be an effectively permanent fix.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I did, back then I though it would be a good solution, but it seems it doesn't hold up to wear. The problem in the trunk is not too bad. It's easy to drain it, and rust is easier to prevent there ( end drilling a small hole might help too). But now the rear foot well... a harder fix. I will probably try to fix it, I don't have time right now, SO I trying to dry the moisture for now.
I was kind of piss off the other day. My car has only 113 000 Km ( around 70 600 miles), so it's still kind of fresh in that respect and still drive pretty, so to have that kind of bug that can ruin a perfectly usable car, made me really angry.

Thanks for the advice.

Fit are awesome, but that bug is a major fail for honda.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
I agree that it's an annoying issue.

Here's a more detailed description of the fix for the rear door leak:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-leak-fix.html

Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jared592
I agree that it's an annoying issue.

Here's a more detailed description of the fix for the rear door leak:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-leak-fix.html
Thank for that link! I will look at that. Should be able to do that this weekend.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
@Jared592 and crew, thanks for this thread.

Just found water in the spare wheel well of my 2008 Fit Sport and found the cracks up top while looking to see if it was a gasket sealing issue. The photos here are exactly what I'm seeing. I initially worried that it was a structural problem (and wondered how far up the roof the cracks went). This thread was what I needed, thanks all!

Now it's off to Canadian Tire to get some sealant...

Old 01-26-2017, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Glad it helped you!

Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jared592
I'd imagine there's probably a lot of people with this issue who'll never know because they never look under hatch floor/cover (or have AAA/some other roadside assistance/simply won't ever change a tire themselves)

This is true... just noticed this on my 2010 fit sport AT last week. the tire place needed my lug nut lock and when I went into the spare tire area it was filled with ice... I am all about adding weight in the winter, but this is crazy.

I am reading through these threads to see what I can do and/or find out.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
I use fish tank silicone sealant from Home depot . Works well so far!
BTW, my 79 Supra developed leak around cracked hatch door glass rubber seal when it was 13 years old!
Based on the number of engineering flaws and shortcuts our beloved Fit (as well as any modern car!) is Fukushima on the wheels waiting just for meltdown
I will not be surprised if entire floor will separate one day
too bad I cannot get this car anymore

Last edited by doctor J; 03-28-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Silicone won't hold up like Poly... Just sayin..

Old 03-28-2017, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind doing it every 3 years The roof should be attached different way to reduce flexing of the joints

Old 03-28-2017, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have had some brands of silicone affect the metal on cars in the past (Used to install sun-roofs once did a brand new bentley with 200 miles on it.. ) Silicone gives off ammonia when drying, and some other stuff that can cause corrosion on steel or aluminum if bare metal. (Some brands are not as bad as others and some don't do it...)

I know there will be 10 posts that say "I've never had any problems" YMMV

Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I found that the sealant the company used who installed my sunroof was crap... I replaced it and now it has been pouring for 3 days straight and my trunk is dry.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 AM
I had the exact same problem with my 08 Fit Sport. After reading this post I removed the top rail strips enough to confirm I also have the dreaded hairline cracks toward the end of the hatch opening. Did the cleaning and silicone application on both sides. Next rain storm I had significantly less water - wasn't getting much to begin with. Went back and did around the hatch gas strut mounting locations and so far has been dry since!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 PM
I have a 2008 Fit with water leaks mostly in the rear passenger foot well, but also driver and front passenger foot well. Any thoughts?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 PM
I wanted to say thanks for this posting and for everyone that has put there info in on this.

2007 honda fit sport I patched were the cracks are on the roof, I thought I stopped the leak and then come to find out it was leaking from my antenna, fixed that, and now its leaking at least on the passengers side if you were to remove everything, and look were it seems to be a "vent" its in that area, I'm trying to figure out how to fix that, I'm still reading what everyone has said so I'm hoping to find the answer I need lol, If anyone wants to point me in the right way it would help alot, and thanks again!

Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wallermh
I have a 2008 Fit with water leaks mostly in the rear passenger foot well, but also driver and front passenger foot well. Any thoughts?
Your water is coming in through the side windows. Go find my post on water leaks. Remove the interior panel on each door and seal up the large holes.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Based on this thread, there are many different possible sources of water leakage in a 1st generation Fit:
  • hatch opening upper corners
  • roof rubber rails
  • roof antenna
  • hatch rubber gasket
  • tail lights
  • rear door panels
  • front door panels
And I have now found yet another source to add to the list:
  • rear spoiler foam gaskets (Sport model only)
In my 2008 Fit Sport, this was a major leak. The water would get into the spoiler attachment points where the foam gaskets had worn away, then into the upper tail light housing, and from there either drip directly onto the trunk interior (!) or follow the inside of the rear window and hatch interior trim, eventually ending up in the spare tire well.

I was able to fix it by replacing the foam gaskets with silicone. This makes it harder to remove the spoiler in the future, but as I have never needed to do so anyway, it seemed like an acceptable price for fixing this very annoying leak.

Photos:

To remove the spoiler, pry up the plastic covers in each corner and remove the 10mm bolt underneath each one. Then the spoiler will come out easily.

I didn't take a before picture, but you can see here that the right foam gasket is still intact, while the left one is almost completely worn away. I just siliconed all of them. I also ran a bead of silicone all along the front edge of the spoiler, just in case.

Closeup.

This was in addition to working on the hatch corners, roof rails, antenna, and both rear doors to seal them. It's still winter here, so the real test will come in a few weeks when the rainy season starts. Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by Questolicious; 03-09-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Water leak in trunk