1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Throttle cable adjustment GD3 CVT

Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Throttle cable adjustment GD3 CVT

Hi all,

I have been desparately searching for an answer for this.

Over the weekend, I decided to be a smart bum and adjusted the throttle cable ( it seems loose) on my GD3 1.5 VTI CVT. only to realize that throttle adjustment should only be done on manual cars, because auto cars have something called TV cable to communicate with auto tranny stuff..

Is there any guide on adjusting these cables? I want it back to normal so far no difference in performance or drivability yet. Am i going to die or am I going to die?

P/S: this is a lesson for anyone who hasnt touched this cable yet. Its better left alone

Have a good day!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Quick update: i have had a look again, theres only one cable going to the throttle. Phew..

Still, does anyone know if adjustment of throttle cable affect CVT or ECU in any way?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Banned
NOPE no worries Honda CVT and automatics don't have a TV cable. Adjustments in engine speed is regulated by the ECM reading the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is located on or near the throttle cam. The TPS can be adjusted WARNING WARNING you need to really really know what you are doing if you attempt to "adjust" the TPS.

It is extremely sensitive and you need a digital multimeter (analog multimeters are not accurate enough) and be able to read the difference in milivolts. It is something amateurs SHOULD NOT MESS WITH.

To adjust your throttle cable very simple unhook the cable from the throttle cam buy turning the cam with your hand until the slots line up and the end of the cable can be rotated to the slot and removed.

Get a helper to sit in the car and floor the gas, you manually open the TB all the way by turning the throttle cam check and see if the cable lines up with the hole in the cam.

If it doesn't loosen the lock nut on the throttle cable and make it longer or shorter so the end of the cable is lined up with the hole.

Put the end of the throttle cable back where it goes on the throttle cam. Finally have the helper floor it again and manually check and see if the throttle cam is going to full throttle. Done time for a slab.

Last edited by loudbang; 04-08-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks loudbang for the detailed info. and the warnings. You are the best!

So in other words, throttle cable adjustment and TPS adjustment are two separate things and doesn't affect one another?

When I readjust the throttle cable I will take some photos so others can maybe benefit from it.

Thanks again

J

Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by azn310
So in other words, throttle cable adjustment and TPS adjustment are two separate things and doesn't affect one another?
Yes the TPS is held to the TB with screws it has wires coming out of it. Just leave that alone.

The throttle cable is separate and CAN be adjusted.