1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Vtec question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Dude did you read the link? It shows you quite clearly that in reality it opens at approx 2500 (the lines on the tach are too small to read clearly).

This subject has been debated to death since 2007 and the very first Fits to hit the streets and in this forum and the conclusion, proved by the installation of a VTEC light, is 2500 or close.

Are you saying all those members that put in a VTEC light and posted their results are lying? Including myself Why would someone lie about that?

No need to wait for a so called expert to do it hook up a test light yourself so you will believe the results. It takes all of 2 minutes to do. Find the VTEC solenoid locate the green/yellow striped striped wire coming out of the bottom of the solenoid.

Wrap the pointed end of the test light with a piece of extra wire about 3 feet long so you can see it outside the hood when the hood is closed.

Scrape the insulation off the solenoid wire and wrap with the extra wire free end.

Tape the end of the test light where you can see it while driving.

Ground the other test light wire.

Get in and drive. The vehicle MUST be moving so there is a signal from the motion sensor you can't do it standing still and revving.

Watch the tach and accelerate and when the light lights up that is the point of VTEC engagement. I have a permanently installed light and I see it everytime I drive and it is the same thing day after day year after year.

If anybody tells you any different than about 2500-2700 for a GD3 they are FLAT OUT WRONG prove it yourself and don't spread the 3500 myth anymore. The extra power you feel at 3500 is the engine going into it's powerband (going up on the cam... google it) NOT VTEC engagement.

If you are feeling particularly lazy you could buy a test light with lead for about 3-4 dollars at a parts store. Find a quiet street. Open your hood. Stick the pointed end of the test light in the green/yellow striped wire. Tape it in place. ground the other end of the test light.

Now the tricky part... with the hood open so you can see the light get someone else to drive or tape the light where you can see the lighted end while sitting in the drivers seat. Now start the car and get it moving ONLY AT A WALKING SPEED. Now either you in the drivers seat or your helper slowly raise the engine RPM WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL until the light comes on WHILE THE CAR IS ROLLING SLOWLY. Now watch the light either from inside the car or while walking beside it. The Light will turn on a 2500-2700. Proved it to yourself.
If he was feeling lazy why would be walk next to the car. Haha just bustin your ballz. I don't know why everyone is so worried about Vtec. The fits are dogs anyway. Probably one of the slowest nonhybrids on the road. Who gives a shit if your in Vtec or not. The cars are slow regardless.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Dude did you read the link? It shows you quite clearly that in reality it opens at approx 2500 (the lines on the tach are too small to read clearly).

This subject has been debated to death since 2007 and the very first Fits to hit the streets and in this forum and the conclusion, proved by the installation of a VTEC light, is 2500 or close.

Are you saying all those members that put in a VTEC light and posted their results are lying? Including myself Why would someone lie about that?

No need to wait for a so called expert to do it hook up a test light yourself so you will believe the results. It takes all of 2 minutes to do. Find the VTEC solenoid locate the green/yellow striped striped wire coming out of the bottom of the solenoid.

Wrap the pointed end of the test light with a piece of extra wire about 3 feet long so you can see it outside the hood when the hood is closed.

Scrape the insulation off the solenoid wire and wrap with the extra wire free end.

Tape the end of the test light where you can see it while driving.

Ground the other test light wire.

Get in and drive. The vehicle MUST be moving so there is a signal from the motion sensor you can't do it standing still and revving.

Watch the tach and accelerate and when the light lights up that is the point of VTEC engagement. I have a permanently installed light and I see it everytime I drive and it is the same thing day after day year after year.

If anybody tells you any different than about 2500-2700 for a GD3 they are FLAT OUT WRONG prove it yourself and don't spread the 3500 myth anymore. The extra power you feel at 3500 is the engine going into it's powerband (going up on the cam... google it) NOT VTEC engagement.

If you are feeling particularly lazy you could buy a test light with lead for about 3-4 dollars at a parts store. Find a quiet street. Open your hood. Stick the pointed end of the test light in the green/yellow striped wire. Tape it in place. ground the other end of the test light.

Now the tricky part... with the hood open so you can see the light get someone else to drive or tape the light where you can see the lighted end while sitting in the drivers seat. Now start the car and get it moving ONLY AT A WALKING SPEED. Now either you in the drivers seat or your helper slowly raise the engine RPM WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL until the light comes on WHILE THE CAR IS ROLLING SLOWLY. Now watch the light either from inside the car or while walking beside it. The Light will turn on a 2500-2700. Proved it to yourself.
Now I did read the link and the op said that unless you're flooring the throttle vtec will engage at 2500rpm if you're feathering it as he said it will engage at 3500. It's no myth and I'm wondering if you even read the thread as well. Oh and the so called expert that I'm referring to is someone who has way more knowledge on our vehicles than you or myself and is am active user on the site. So before you start bashing on other fit owners I would read the info you reference before acting like an ass.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thasniperwolf
Now I did read the link and the op said that unless you're flooring the throttle vtec will engage at 2500rpm if you're feathering it as he said it will engage at 3500. It's no myth and I'm wondering if you even read the thread as well. Oh and the so called expert that I'm referring to is someone who has way more knowledge on our vehicles than you or myself and is am active user on the site. So before you start bashing on other fit owners I would read the info you reference before acting like an ass.
Ha you have to resort to CHERRYPICKING ONE post how about the rest of them that agree with me???? Miss them??????

That person doesn't know CRAP it engages each and every time every time all the time at 2500 feathering or not. However it DISENGAGES at varying rates maybe your expert is reading things backward.

It is and always will be a myth your expert doesn't know what he is talking about. And I have been here since when this site started and I only bash people that post INCORRECT INFORMATION and contribute to myths.

And since I walked you through it why haven't you PROVED IT TO YOURSELF BY HOOKING UP A LIGHT????? If you did you could stop posting these totally incorrect replies.

and I see this has been around for days where is your "expert" jumping in to help you out.... crickets.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Banned
Ok I outlined MY scientific method of checking for VTEC engagement so how about you checking back with your "expert" that says it's 3500 and ask him how he proved it is 3500 like what equipment and methodology did he use. SWAGs are not acceptable (scientific wild assed guesses).

Are you or him advanced enough to know the VTEC solenoid is ONLY an ON/OFF switch?? There is no gradual engagement it's like being pregnant either it's engaged or it's not that's it not partial or slow engagement.

As long as the ECM receives signals from sensors that there is sufficient oil pressure, there is wheel movement, and last but not least a preset engagement RPM is met the VTEC solenoid with be activated and a pin will be forced into the cam followers resulting in engagement.

AND make sure he is talking about a GD3 Honda Fit not his civic or some other vehicle.

I'm biting my nails waiting for his response so I can learn an "expert's" method that is new and unknown to everybody else.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned
Oh and the so called expert that I'm referring to is someone who has way more knowledge on our vehicles than you or myself and is am active user on the site.

Tell you what I'm going to do. Since you are unwilling or unable to test it yourself even after I lead you by the hand on how to do it in a couple of minutes.

FOR FREE I will take a video of my VTEC indicator light and the tach at the same time in the same frame and post it so you can see for yourself that what I'm telling you is the truth before your own eyes.

BUT before I do all that work you have to agree and take the results as they come and no BS like it's a faked video. I have skills but faking a video is not one of them.

What to you think? This could prevent you from spending your money for a flash pro to change the VTEC point when it engauges stock where you wanted to move it to.

No word from you expert yet ??

Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...9414-vtec.html

hopefully this may settle our differences. If not o well. Btw please don't touch my hand lol.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
It can be very difficult to engage VTEC, especially in the L15 engine. The process is very complicated and requires the use of at least one calculator.

Sometimes people blow their motors when attempting to hit VTEC for the very first time. And others who do succeed often find that they can't handle the power they've just unleashed, which often ends in destruction as well.

Please be careful when playing with fire.

Whaaaaaat?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dougr320
If he was feeling lazy why would be walk next to the car. Haha just bustin your ballz. I don't know why everyone is so worried about Vtec. The fits are dogs anyway. Probably one of the slowest nonhybrids on the road. Who gives a shit if your in Vtec or not. The cars are slow regardless.

SRT-4 eh? lets see your lap time and compare mpg. and repair rating by CR.
PS most of the replies here are not even good rat food.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Banned
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...9414-vtec.html

hopefully this may settle our differences. If not o well. Btw please don't touch my hand lol.
LOL from 2008 and has been proven to be a myth in later posts. Guess you don't really want to know or you would check it YOURSELF in a quick 3 minute process. So all's good go ahead and spend your money to change something that doesn't need to be changed ... good luck with that ROFLMAO
I don't charge for my services just trying to save a member from making a big mistake but nooooo you just ignore the evidence presented to you for reasons all your own that nobody else can figure out. If it were me I would listen to anybody trying to help me out FOR FREE.

No word from your so called expert yet???????????? crickets ......

don't want to watch a video of the truth??

Can we call you "The ostrich" keeping your head in the sand or maybe the little kid lalalala I'm not listening one?

EEEWWW strange thoughts you have I'm NOT touching ANYTHING OF YOURS.

Last edited by loudbang; 06-04-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Call me whatever you want if it makes you feel better of yourself. so we agree to disagree on the way vtec engages don't bother me none

Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM
Banned
Yea but you will be the one paying for something you don't need and I can think of several names for that but won't use them.

And LOL on the thread you posted you will note they do NOT provide any evidence nor do they explain HOW they determined the point all they have is SWAG.

I'm going to do the video anyway even though you do not want to see it so everybody but you will know I am correct and we can put this myth to rest until the next ignorant person brings it up again.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 AM
just rev a gear out. you will hit vtec