1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Water puddle at foot paddle area

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Water puddle at foot paddle area

So I notice there was a water puddle right at the gas brake pedal area after a night of heavy rain

It turns out that the whole front driver and passenger floor area of the car is soaking wet.

I pulled the carpet and the rubber/foam flooring up and realize the whole foam is soaked with water.

The foam behind the dash board next to the firewall appears to be wet too.

I had a windshield replacement about a year ago and I suspect that my windshield is leaking.

I purchased a tube of 3M silicone seal to attempt to "reseal" the windshield.

I am not exactly sure where is the best area to apply this seal I am planning to apply the seal between the rubber molding and the car frame.

Can there be any other place that is leaking.

Also what is the best way to clean up the water. I can only pull the flooring up so much without having to tear the interior apart.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited by omygod711; 06-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by omygod711
So I notice there was a water puddle right at the gas brake paddle area after a night of heavy rain.
I think you meant pedal area.

Had a similar previous experience a while back with a mini van, still under warranty at the time. Dealer did a smoke test to find the leak. They used expanding foam to fill the firewall seams. Plus it didn't help that the mini van was parked on an inclined driveway.

As to drying the inside, a wet/dry vac and blower should help. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I meant pedal, but if it keeps raining like this i gonna need a paddle.

lol

My FIT is out of warranty long ago so I am not planning to bring it to dealer.

However I saw wires down there so I am a bit nervous.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
While water is generally not a good mix with electrical stuff, a 12V circuit doesn't pose an electrocution hazard as a normal household AC circuit might. Getting just the wires themselves wet (on the outside) isn't a real concern; the insulation seals them against moisture.

Before you get too far with the windshield sealing, check that the vent drain lines are not plugged up with something. I'm afraid I couldn't easily come up with where this drain is located on the Fit, but it must have one somewhere. The intake for the heater/AC is at the base of the windshield, and the drain system is designed so that rain and such will not collect in the cabin; if it's clogged, the water will run down the ventilation ducts, and generally end up around the floor pans. I would suspect that this is much more likely the problem over a failed windshield seal. The windshield glues are very strong, as the windshield needs to stay in place if there's a collision (it's a part of the car structure). If it is leaking, bring it back to whomever replaced the windshield and ask them to fix it; it generally should be warranted against leakage basically forever by any reputable repair place.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
I definitely want to know where the Vent Drain line is so I can clean it up if anyone know please show.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 AM
Banned
There are no drains other than the one from the A/C unit and that would not release enough to cover the floor.

this will show you about applying sealant. This site MUST be used in IE or the photos will not show up.

Windshield Replacement

Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
Water on the floor

You might want to look at my web page and others related to water coming in at the bottom of the door seal, which quite a few of us have had problems with.
-Rod

Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Since the back of the dash is also wet I am leaning toward the windshield.

Also looking at the wind shield replacement instruction from the link above, the shop I went to didn't do that much installing the wind shield.

I think I want to replace the windshield molding and apply some 3M silicone around it and see what happen.

What is the part number for the wind shield molding. I am having trouble locating it.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 AM
I definitely want to know where the Vent Drain line is so I can clean it up if anyone know please show.

Thanks
i would like to know this

Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toll
i would like to know this

loudbang mention above that there is only a AC drain line. But I don't know where that is.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Since the back of the dash is also wet I am leaning toward the windshield.

Also looking at the wind shield replacement instruction from the link above, the shop I went to didn't do that much installing the wind shield.

I think I want to replace the windshield molding and apply some 3M silicone around it and see what happen.

What is the part number for the wind shield molding. I am having trouble locating it.
Just for future reference,
found the molding at bernadiparts.com
it's 04731-SAA-000

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned
loudbang mention above that there is only a AC drain line. But I don't know where that is.
It comes out of the lowest section of the A/C housing and runs through the floorpan to the outside and that is why sometimes you get a small puddle of water under your car as it continues to drain even after you stop and shut off the engine.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I took the wipers out and the plastic below the windshield and find out that the windshield replacement job was bad.

The bottom of the windshield was not seal properly. The installer probably just slide the windshield in during replacement.

I use about half a tube of 3M super silicone and seal up whatever I can. We had some rain for the past few days including a really hard 10 min rain this afternoon.

The floor and the insulation are dry so far.

I consider my issue fixed, or fixed enough that it won't bother me.

Thanks everyone that gave me info.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Banned
That is good news.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by rodpaine
You might want to look at my web page and others related to water coming in at the bottom of the door seal, which quite a few of us have had problems with.
-Rod
Rod, I have a question about the plastic sheet on the front door (passenger's side). Do you actually remove it and reglue it to eliminate the spots where the water leaks through? Does it come off by just peeling it off and is it intact after you do that? Once you do that, how do you reapply it?

I also ended up having to wet-vac about a gallon and a half of water from the car, the majority of which was in a puddle in the passenger's side. I've got it pulled back right now and will have to wet-vac it again, and fortunately, it's going to be clear and warm for the next few days.

Any suggestions about preventing mildew, especially under the seats? I probably won't be able to completely take care of it, since I probably won't be able to remove the seats and the carpet, but I'd like to put the kibosh on as much as possible.