1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

passenger airbag light under stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Question passenger airbag light under stereo

This may have already been addressed but I can't find it if it has. I just bought my fit (from a private seller) yesterday and the passenger airbag light is constantly blinking on and off. I am not sure why or if it is supposed to do that. I know the seat has a sensor and all that stuff but today when I rode as a passenger it continued to do that the whole time. I thought the light would completely go off when someone sat in the seat but it didn't. Anyone had this issue or know if its supposed to be that way or how to fix it? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
The weight sensor will disable the passenger airbag if there is a light object or occupant in the passenger front seat. Anything like a simple bag with a lap top inside, groceries, a young child in a booster seat, etc. will likely cause the light to illuminate to let you know that the airbag for the front passenger is disabled at that time.

If you want to see it work live action while the car is running, lean with your elbow on the seat with a bit of your weight and you'll notice the light will come on. After you get up and have no weight in the seat at all, the light should go off.

Another way to put the light on... buckle up the seat belt with no one in it.

Last edited by Hootie; 01-30-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Its on when I have nothing in the seat and nothing touching the seat... and by "on" I mean the light blinks on and off the entire time the car is turned on.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
How many miles/months on the vehicle? I believe the safety systems have a separate warranty that is longer than the standard warranty. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken. You could check with your dealer.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
honda has lifetime seatbelt/safety warranty

Old 01-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Hopefully the car hadn't had airbags deployed previously, but I'd be suspicious.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
There cannot be anything BENEATH the seat...that's why Honda factory floormats have a hook on the rear passenger side. (So that they won't slide up under the front passenger seat and confuse the sensors)

Look under there, maybe the previous owner left a bag 'o doubloons or pieces of eight under there! (Or unplugged the sensor harness.)

If not, I agree, at least inquire to a dealer, and tell 'em up front that you understand that the safety system is warranted.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Well we figured it out. The guys who sold it to us lied and did not disclose that it had been wrecked. Turns out it was a salvage vehicle... so there's that.

Thanks though!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Question How to fix?

I am purchasing a used 2011 Honda Fit from a private seller for my daughter's first car. I had it checked by a mechanic today. He said everything checks out fine except the passenger airbag light is blinking off and on with our without anyone in the seat. It did have a front end collision previously, but the airbags did not deploy. Any suggestions before I try a Honda mechanic? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed. . . thanks for any advice!