General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is this normal? US Fit passenger airbag

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Is this normal? US Fit passenger airbag

I've only had my Fit for week now and I thought this was kinda weird.

When is the "passenger airbag off" supposed to come on?

I work for VW, the way the VW's work is if no one is on the seat the light comes on and stays on, if the passenger gets out the light will flash a few times then turn off, if they get back in it flashes a couple times and stays on.

In my fit the light never comes on when your driving in the car by self. But last night when I was driving I had put my arm up on the backrest of the passenger seat. As soon as I did that the "off" light turned on. When I took my arm off the seat the off light turned off.

Is that normal or should I take it to the dealer?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know if it's normal, but the passenger seat has a weight sensor used by the airbag system. Perhaps your arm is triggering the sensor.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Its normal. It thinks you have something in the seat or someone isnt sitting/positioned right in the seat.
Its a safety thing I guess?

If you lean too much on either side of the seat the light will pop on. I had a friend handing out side of the pass. side window, the light came on and I freaked out. I thought something was wrong. I told him to look at it, once he moved it turned off.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
IIRC the way it works, the airbag is always off if no one is in the seat. If someone is in the seat, there is also a sensor in the back of the seat to check if the person is in a seated position. This is so if the person in the passenger seat is leaning forward or something the airbags wont deploy and hit them in the face.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I know there is a weight sensor.

The issue is why is the "off" light coming on with the weight of my arm on the seat, but NOT when the seat is empty. I would think the off light would come on whenever the seat is empty, not when it has some weight on it.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
The Airbag will turn off when there is under 65lbs on the seat. The car is also equipped with "OPDS" which when there is a akward force on the seat where there shouldnt be it will shut off. This is what you are experiencing. The light WONT stay on if no one is in the seat, however the airbag will be off.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
The Airbag will turn off when there is under 65lbs on the seat. The car is also equipped with "OPDS" which when there is a akward force on the seat where there shouldnt be it will shut off. This is what you are experiencing. The light WONT stay on if no one is in the seat, however the airbag will be off.

perfect. Thank you

Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com

you beat me to it. LOL

Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 AM
It was already explained^^^ but I would just like to add you will notice it as well if you engage the seatbelt and dont sit in it. I often carry stuff on the passenger seat and usually pull the seat belt on over it and that engages the light.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
The answer to this question (and many others too!!!!!) can be found in the little book that came with your Fit.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
yeah jdm chris is right about hte answer
wouild be nice if you could turn the passenger airbag on or off with your ignition key like on some fords

Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
When you start the Fit the light comes on briefly so you know it works then comes on if there is a weight detected but less than 30 kg ( ca 66 lb). That way if you have a small child that would be injured by an activating airbag you know it won't.
Or in my case my small 35 lb dog since my children are all way over 60 lb.
PS Having being smaked by an activating airbag I assure you thats a good feature. If you want to see yourself have your 150 lb teen-ager give you a swift fist in the chops. Let him wear boxing gloves.