1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Electrical Problem... Help

Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Electrical Problem... Help

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker. I've had a problem develop with my 07 fit and I've searched and searched your website hoping for a solution. I have not found one. So maybe you can help.

I drive quite a distance to commute to work. When I was just about to get into work today the electrical systems of the car blinked out for a fraction of a second. I wouldn't have noticed except that the radio went out and had to power back on. This happened about 3 more times in 5 or 10 minutes until I parked my car. The car never stalled, and only once did I even notice anything other than the radio going off.

I recently replaced my battery but I doubt that is the culprit. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd check the battery terminal connections to make certain that they are tight. Unless you changed the battery size, the posts should be the same size, but you may need to insert a copper shim if the terminal connection won't tighten. I'm assuming you didn't remove the wire going from the battery positive post to the fuse box.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories on the car, specifically an amplifier wired directly to the battery?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 AM
There is nothing aftermarket about my car. It's just my daily drive so nothing special about it.

Thanks for the reply though. I'll make sure to double check the battery connections when I'm done with work.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the ol' Ignition Switch Failure to me.

This was a common problem on Hondas and Acuras about 10 years ago. Some models were recalled, but the replacement switches are starting to fail now.

Looked the switch up on Bernardi Honda just now, not too expensive at around $40 USD. #11

35130-SAA-J51

Plug that number ^^^ into your favorite internet seller to make sure that's the one.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks so much. Does anyone know if the fit had a recall on the ignition switch?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Was just the radio going out or did you notice all the lights inside the car turning off then on? Is the car doing anything else funny?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 PM
if it was the ignition switch, he should have felt a burp in the car's running as he was on the highway.

I vote no on ignition switch replacement, until you do further testing to confirm it.

Its expensive to replace parts that may not be the source of the issue

Old 02-04-2014, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a loose terminal connection, or something with wiring if the battery was recently replaced. Electrical issues can be a real pain sometimes.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit View Post
if it was the ignition switch, he should have felt a burp in the car's running as he was on the highway.
Not necessarily, the switch contains multiple contacts (different circuits) so unless the main ignition circuit is failed, the engine would continue to run.

Remember the glitch was only noticeable because the radio needed to be re-powered.

The OP needs to evaluate if he wants to gamble on the $40 switch. Heck... it could be a loose main fuse, too?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 AM
@MNfix I noticed the instrument panel blink off and then back on only once. But it was happening so fast that by the time I noticed and looked down it would always be back on. I was driving and the roads weren't great so I was trying not to get into an accident.

Speaking of roads...

@13fit I was off the highway. I was just pulling into the parking garage at work. And the roads were not well maintained (I got in super early that day). So I was spinning tire a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't notice a burp in the cars performance.

@thefit09 I did tighten the connections to the battery before I left work that evening. I haven't had that issue since. So maybe that is what it was.

The next morning I did have an issue with my passenger door speaker. It sounded like it was blown but only with the low end of the sound. So I turned down the bass and everything was fine. Half way to work I turned the bass back up and the distortion went away on it's own. I couldn't help but wonder if the two issues were related.

Either way, thank you all for the help. It is much appreciated.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
Not necessarily, the switch contains multiple contacts (different circuits) so unless the main ignition circuit is failed, the engine would continue to run.

Remember the glitch was only noticeable because the radio needed to be re-powered.

The OP needs to evaluate if he wants to gamble on the $40 switch. Heck... it could be a loose main fuse, too?

You are right, it does contain multiple circuits, but I believe the ecu would not have been able to avoid doing something if it was a burp in power.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post

I'll gladly pay 40 dollars for a switch. If it doesn't fix the problem then I can move on to other possible causes.

What would be the best way to test the switch?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NicktheEvil View Post

What would be the best way to test the switch?
If you have a multimeter with Peak Hold you could test for voltage drops at the radio power feed when you vibrate (slap) the steering column.

If someone has a wiring diagram (I don't) you could look for a common voltage source for both instrument lamps and radio. bUt AFAIK these are two different sources...radio from the acc power feed and instrument lights through the light switches. (<--- unless you mean, the lights that are always on with ignition, in the Fit cluster)

I don't know what to say about the speaker. Unless you have a separate amp on those speakers the power usually comes from the radio on stock systems.

Last edited by Carbuff2; 02-05-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 AM
I had an awkward problem where the cruise control wouldn't engage and sometimes the dash lights would stay on even when everything was turned off.

Surprisingly the problem was a burnt out reverse-bulb. Replacing it fixed my problem.

I didn't have any issues with the radio, but I also don't remember using the radio then.