3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELP!! Unplugged/re plugged battery, now no power!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 PM
HELP!! Unplugged/re plugged battery, now no power!

OMG I'm stressing out lol please forgive me. I unplugged my battery (because it was suggested in another thread as a possible means to restart the computer, to fix a different problem I'm having) and re plugged it back in. But now I have absolutely NO POWER to anything. I'm assuming it activated some anti theft thing.

How do I get my car to work again? The battery is plugged in (properly).

Old 03-16-2015, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my battery unplugged for a couple of hours while I worked on my stereo. The only anti theft thing I ran into was I needed to enter a code to reactivate the radio. So I dont think your problem is any anti theft.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:09 PM
did you get the wires back on the correct terminals? Make sure the clamps are tight, also there is a small chance that a fuse could have gotten blown when you hooked the battery back up.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Oh my god delete this thread before I'm the laughing stock of these forums. I re-screwed the wire into the wrong bolt (probably the ground). Once I screwed it back in REALLY properly everything works fine.

However, I'm still having the problem where it shows a door open when they're all closed which prevents me from locking the doors electronically.

Sorry to waste everyone's time and make a fool of myself. Moving on... :/

Old 03-17-2015, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by newhere
Oh my god delete this thread before I'm the laughing stock of these forums. I re-screwed the wire into the wrong bolt (probably the ground). Once I screwed it back in REALLY properly everything works fine.

However, I'm still having the problem where it shows a door open when they're all closed which prevents me from locking the doors electronically.

Sorry to waste everyone's time and make a fool of myself. Moving on... :/
TOO Late OP....

Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
Newhere - step away from the vehicle..... NOW.

At least you did not fry anything.... or did you?

Let us know result of door locking problem.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM
it's a new car take it back to the dealer and make them fix it before you hurt yourself!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 PM
As far as I can tell I didn't ruin anything. There were sparks when I was unscrewing the wire from that bolt which must have been the ground, but that's all.

The "door open" light persisted though, even through to this morning, even through my lunch break. However, the light was no longer present at the end of work today and excitedly I tried to lock my doors with the key......it worked!

So something's fishy, but not really bothering me at the moment. Hopefully it develops into a more proper electronics issue sooner rather than later so that when I inevitably have to bring it in the technicians will have a clue where to start while it's still under warranty.

On an unrelated note, some fucking barbarian knuckle dragging neanderthal opened the door of a white vehicle into my passenger side door and I didn't notice until a day after the fact (yesterday) and left a white dent. Ugh... I can't win.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 AM
I concur, you should take your car to the dealer before you hurt yourself or the vehicle.

Sorry about the dent but that's the cruddy world we live in today. People care even less about other people's property.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Terminating to the wrong polarity on the car battery can and will fry the electronics in your car, including ECU. I think your car has already screwed. No warranty will save you this time. At least, you are lucky enough to tell the tale alive. There are tons of videos out there, please do your homework before attempting another suicide.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
If the OP is given a hard time at the stealership service department, he could just let them know that he is a proud recipient of the famed Darwin Award. It's a good thing that natural selection weeds out the unfit over many generations and not just one, or the OP would not be here to tell his tale.

Just kidding (I think).

Old 03-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by newhere
As far as I can tell I didn't ruin anything. There were sparks