1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Just replaced my plugs/coils because of a common issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Just replaced my plugs/coils because of a common issue

Hello everyone - yes, yes. I am new to these forums. I have been prowling for years but just signed up this month. My Honda Fit knowledge mostly comes from this community, thanks everyone!

Anyways, I decided to take up the task of repairing my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. Right before my wedding last August, my car started to feel jerky with the A/C on while sitting at idle. And from the moment on if I accelerated too much (like more than ~30-40% acceleration) it would start to "jerk (/sputter/hesitate/stuttering/etc.)" pretty bad. but if I drove below ~4k RPM I could not reproduce my issues. Oh, and if my A/C wasn't running it would act normal at idle.

So, thanks to several hours digging around on here I concluded at least ONE of my coils were bad (some people argue it could have been the fuel filter, but the Fit's is in the gas tank... and it isn't really even a typical fuel filter).
Due to lack of any equipment (besides a socket and some gloves) I chose to replace ALL coils (Beck Arnley from Amazon, $55 per coil!) AND chose to replace my plugs (again, went OEM with these from Amazon, another great buy at $7 per plug.)

I finally pull my old coils out only to find no "damage" or any sort of "burn" marks to the coils (from what I could see). Several members on here that have had bad coils say, when they found the bad ones, it was charred/damaged to some degree. This worried me because I felt maybe the coils weren't bad after all...

However, after I replaced them (using anti-seize grease on all threads I pulled) the car has not reproduced its former hesitation...
After about 100 miles, I nearly red lined it in 3rd and it felt like it was new again!! I guess it was a damaged coil after all, just not visibly damaged I suppose.

I had a friend tell me that if a coil isn't delivering the correct voltage (12v, I believe) then it can cause misfiring. Perhaps this is what happened to me.
Also, he told me that if you have bad coils and ONLY replace the plugs, the bad coils will "cook" the new plugs and the issues will come back after a few days of driving. This makes sense to me considering a lot of people on here with the same issues started out by replacing only plugs to find out 2-3 days later the "jerking" under acceleration came back. In my opinion, replace all 4 coils instead of just one. If one went bad, another of the same set could go out at anytime... There is my argument for skip replacing just one coil.

I hope this thread assist future Googlers that have the same symptoms with their car.