1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

New to thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
New to thread

Bought a '08 Base MT couple of weeks ago with 120K miles on it. Runs tight like new, had to get new pads and grind the rotors up front, and put full syn.

Potential work to do:
1. The small water leak onto the spare wheel well (I already see the fix in this forum)
2. The boots on the front wheel axles are showing wear due to age and drying out, so may need to replace them along with tie rods at some point.

Otherwise great. Got 39.9 mpg with the first tank, 40.2 with the second, with only 20% of them on freeways. I look forward to the mileage with the Summer formulation in May, on a long freeway trip. I am OK without hybrid or diesel.

Added a bottle of Techron with the third tank, and raced the engine on the freeway to 4K, touching 80mph. Amazing stability and smoothness, no wonder Honda has a winner in this format. And yes, I can sense that extra oomph above 3500 rev when all 16 valves open, yo. Have to say this Fit loves to race at 80 mph more than my old Civic did.

Some first impressions:
1. Had to do quite a bit of iteration to get a comfortable position, given there is no seat height adjustment or telescoping wheel. I am about 5'10", 150lb (may be that's why I was getting good mileage ;=))
2. No thigh support, combined with no cruise, I am not going to be able to take this for any longer than 3-4 hours at a time.
3. I miss elbow support, so I just hold the parking brake for support.
4. I miss one wheel cover, so anyone out there with one or knows where to get one, please let me know.
5. This car pulls better than my 05 Civic (that I crashed due to black ice) on 5th going uphill even at 40-45 mph. I have to downshift on my Civic before I hit the top of the hill, not with this Fit.
6. I thought the Civic had a sweet sewing machine sound, the Fit beats that, thanks to the higher rev.

Wife drives an 04 Accord V6 since new, now nearing 200K, only oil changes & routine maintenance.

I had my Civic from 140K to 183K over 2 years before I crashed it, otherwise I was hoping to see it top 300K.

Fit is my primary car for commuting, I have my 06 BMW 325i for hitting those autobahn speeds once a week. I have had it since new.

This forum is great, but not as great as the ninja250.org where there is detailed tech notes for the little Ninjette, my other toy. You could take every part out and put it all together with those instructions, including pictures, and it includes all the tricks too. Go check it out and tell me if I am missing something. To be fair, Ninjette ran unchanged for nearly 2 decades, and it is a lot simpler machine than a car. It redlines at around 13K. You can see, I love the high revving engines, and therefore my draw to this Fit.

Last edited by Kruntal; 04-07-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Nice! Glad you're liking the Fits!

Do some mods! Axleback or something, it'll let you hear the revs a lot better!