1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Was is the difference between lb/ft and ft/lb?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Was is the difference between lb/ft and ft/lb?

I am going to change my spark plugs today, and will be using the NGK Laser Iridium's for my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. I am so confused with lb/ft and ft/lb. I read a post on here that says to torque spark plugs to 13 lb/ft. Is that the same as ft/lb? is 13 ft/lb really the correct torque spec. I don't want to screw this up.

NGK's website shows: Aluminum Clyinder Head (lb-ft.), 14 mm, 18.0 - 21.6.

Last edited by Letsclique; 04-13-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Letsclique
I am going to change my spark plugs today, and will be using the NGK Laser Iridium's for my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. I am so confused with lb/ft and ft/lb. I read a post on here that says to torque spark plugs to 13 lb/ft. Is that the same as ft/lb? is 13 ft/lb really the correct torque spec. I don't want to screw this up.

NGK's website shows: Aluminum Clyinder Head (lb-ft.), 14 mm, 18.0 - 21.6.
I say tom-ah-to, you say tom-ey-to! Same thing. I say foot pounds as most people do but I've it seen written as pounds per foot which has the same meaning. I don't have my service manual with me but 13 ft pounds sounds just about right for an aluminum head (it is a light torque value). Just for reference, the oil filter is only about 7 ft/lbs and the oil drain plug is about 30 ft/lbs so your value is right where it should be! Go ahead a torque away!

The one thing to watch out for are inch pounds (in.-lbs.). That's a different unit of torque. Most torque specs I've seen for my honda fit have always been in ft/lbs.

Last edited by MTLian; 04-13-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
I say tom-ah-to, you say tom-ey-to! Same thing. I say foot pounds as most people do but I've it seen written as pounds per foot which has the same meaning. I don't have my service manual with me but 13 ft pounds sounds just about right for an aluminum head (it is a light torque value). Just for reference, the oil filter is only about 7 ft/lbs and the oil drain plug is about 30 ft/lbs so your value is right where it should be! Go ahead a torque away!

The one thing to watch out for are inch pounds (in.-lbs.). That's a different unit of torque. Most torque specs I've seen for my honda fit have always been in ft/lbs.
Agreed: lb-ft and ft-lb are the same thing. Dimensionally, it's just feet multiplied by pounds—that is to say, if you have a one foot long wrench, you need to push it with 13 pounds of force at the end to get the proper torque. If you have a six-inch wrench, it's 26 pounds of force that are required. The distance (of the lever arm) and the force are multiplied together to get the torque.

To be pedantic, I should note that this is quite different from lb/ft and from ft/lb, which imply division (pounds per foot or feet per pound) and which do not describe torque. I can't think of any measurements offhand that would have either of these units, but there are plenty where you do need to divide the units. For example, pressure may be measured in pounds per square foot, or lb/ft^2, though it's more commonly measured in pounds per square inch. (I have seen pounds per square foot used for things like floor and roof load ratings.)

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Ok. Maybe shoulda used a hyphen instead of a slash. I didn't mean pound per foot. It's what DrewE said, a weight in pounds one foot away from the fulcrum.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by DrewE
Agreed: lb-ft and ft-lb are the same thing. Dimensionally, it's just feet multiplied by pounds—that is to say, if you have a one foot long wrench, you need to push it with 13 pounds of force at the end to get the proper torque. If you have a six-inch wrench, it's 26 pounds of force that are required. The distance (of the lever arm) and the force are multiplied together to get the torque.

To be pedantic, I should note that this is quite different from lb/ft and from ft/lb, which imply division (pounds per foot or feet per pound) and which do not describe torque. I can't think of any measurements offhand that would have either of these units, but there are plenty where you do need to divide the units. For example, pressure may be measured in pounds per square foot, or lb/ft^2, though it's more commonly measured in pounds per square inch. (I have seen pounds per square foot used for things like floor and roof load ratings.)
Thanks for this information

Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Physics Rules

None of the above. It's ft.lb using the standard mathematical term for multiply: '.'

Or, if you're evolving out of the Middle Ages into the 19th Century, N.m

Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Lb/Ft are when you turn the torque wrench to the right. Ft/Lb are when you turn it to the left.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by GC617289
None of the above. It's ft.lb using the standard mathematical term for multiply: '.'

Or, if you're evolving out of the Middle Ages into the 19th Century, N.m
If you want to be ultra-uber-precise, you should use a raised dot '·' rather than a period '.' for multiplication.

With metric units, the multiplication is often not shown explicitly, so Nm would also be correct. This should not be written as nm (which properly denotes nanometers), nor as mN (millinewtons).

All this is probably way more information than Letsclique bargained for.