1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2008 Sport DIY Variable Intermittent Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Question 2008 Sport DIY Variable Intermittent Wiper

I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to add a variable intermittent wiper to my 2008 Honda Fit Sport. In its absence the first setting is often too frequent for a light drizzle.

I've done some research and found several articles on others having done this (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-non-navi.html and https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...r-upgrade.html and https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nt-wipers.html and DIY Variable Intermittent Wiper install looks similar too).

None of these are for a 2008 Sport though, and I'm trying to figure out if there are any major differences. Can I use the directions from that first link myself and using the same wiper stalk? How can I find out?

I actually have the service manual so I can compare wiring diagrams if the other one is available, but I'm unsure how to find out if the directions for that first forum apply to my car or not. Does anyone know? And either way, in this or for future reference, how would I go about researching that to find out?

Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Don't know if this is false hope, but saw this in a thread.

Originally Posted by secondspassed
The wiper switch from the first gen. Insight has this feature and looks like it would match up with the Fit. Supposedly it would be plug and play since all the electronics are in the actual switch for the GD, it better be cause the switch costs like $80. I posted the part # somewhere on the GE variable intermittent wiper thread.

EDIT: My bad, I brain farted and was thinking front variable intermittent instead of rear intermittent. :P

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 PM
That is interesting, but I don't entirely believe it; other solutions would indicate that at least one wire is missing for this on the FIT and would need to be added so nothing could be plug and play by that standard.

And beyond that, my broader question is, how could I find out details like that?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Variable intermittent wiper is something I'd like to have on my 2007 Fit Sport, so I'm going to watch this thread.

I'd also like to have telescoping steering wheel, but THAT ain't gonna happen.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
the variable feature has been successfully owner-installed in several Honda models. IIRC the "controls" are all in the switch itself.

Myself, I find that I'm always playing with the speed on an intermittent anyway. So, why bother? Some people (like me) are NEVER happy...

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
the variable feature has been successfully owner-installed in several Honda models. IIRC the "controls" are all in the switch itself.
That might be true, but you still need all the wires to get from the controls to the fuse box. My understanding was the the Fit was missing one of those wires (not installed because the built in controls don't need the intermittent option) and thus it needed to be added when you installed a new control stick.

Which is fine with me; adding one additional wire is hardly problematic, I just want some verification that a new stick and doing that will work before I put in the time, effort, and money to do it. And I can't figure out where to go to get that verification! Any help?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
I did it.
I just bought a used wiper stalk from 2006 FR-V, and installed.
No another pins or wireless needed.
Plug and Play.
Name:  DSC_0075_zpsi5xaffiy.jpg
Views: 2528
Size:  90.3 KB

Old 02-02-2015, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Original Honda part number for Honda FR-V wiper stalk is: 35256-SJD-G01
Stock 2007 Fit Wiper Stalk (On Top)...
FR-V Stalk on Bottom
Name:  DSC_0073_zpsrglsqkhe.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0074_zpstgsluls2.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  75.9 KB

Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
so what p/n can we in the usa use?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
@Mapone
This is a really cool mod!! Do you happen to know what the P/N of the part you replaced is? Just trying to get an idea of how different yours is from the US models.

Originally Posted by apexanimal
so what p/n can we in the usa use?
I am going to hazard a guess that this part doesn't exist in the US parts catalog under any number. However, a quick google shows at least one place in the UK that lists it and seems willing to ship to the US. The only question then is whether the same part will fit the US Fits.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, i have lived in Czech republic, which is in the middle of Europe. But how you can see, i am a 2007 USDM Honda fit (1.5 AT Sport) owner. So i installed a European Honda part into a US market car. And it woks.
Here in Czech is not problem to go to the Original Honda dealership with a US part number and make a order... Yes, it takes for example 2 weeks, beceuse the shipping takes some time... But I can wait :-) I know it bacause i ordered a rear engine mount for my US Fit.
So maybe You in USA can make a order for European part, when you have a number...

Old 02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
I read a thread on here a while back, not sure what year Fit, but the owner used a stalk from a CRV.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mapone
Yes, i have lived in Czech republic, which is in the middle of Europe. But how you can see, i am a 2007 USDM Honda fit (1.5 AT Sport) owner. So i installed a European Honda part into a US market car. And it woks.
Here in Czech is not problem to go to the Original Honda dealership with a US part number and make a order... Yes, it takes for example 2 weeks, beceuse the shipping takes some time... But I can wait :-) I know it bacause i ordered a rear engine mount for my US Fit.
So maybe You in USA can make a order for European part, when you have a number...
Well that does make it easy then! I was initially assuming your Fit was a European spec model.

I think our solution is Mapone's: order P/N 35256-SJD-G01 from a European seller. Thanks Mapone!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I read a thread on here a while back, not sure what year Fit, but the owner used a stalk from a CRV.
My 2006 CR-V has the fixed-interval intermittent wiper...

Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
I have original Vin number that FR-V from whose i used the wiper stalk. It is JHMBE57206S200144. So i called to the Honda dealership, and asked for the exact part number. They gived to me a little bit different part number. 35256-SJD-E01. I don´t know what the difference between G01/E01 is, but my wiper stalk has a E01 on the end...

Old 02-04-2015, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
Old 02-04-2015, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
$240?!

that was converting yen to usd...

Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mapone
I have original Vin number that FR-V from whose i used the wiper stalk. It is JHMBE57206S200144. So i called to the Honda dealership, and asked for the exact part number. They gived to me a little bit different part number. 35256-SJD-E01. I don´t know what the difference between G01/E01 is, but my wiper stalk has a E01 on the end...
Thanks for the update. The UK dealer I linked above also has that part. The way it is listed it seems like maybe the E01 version is a newer replacement for the G01. Sometimes new parts supersede older ones. In any case, the other thread you linked seems to prove the E01 is what we want.

Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I think this was the GE specific mod that the OP linked at the beginning of this thread. Don't think it will work on the GD.

Originally Posted by apexanimal
$240?!

that was converting yen to usd...
I see US $204.47 (including shipping to the US, converting from GBP) from the dealer I linked above. But yeah, it is going to be expensive! But considering it should be plug-n-play and it is the only part needed, maybe it is not so bad?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
I borrowed my friend RSX wiper stalk and it plug in perfectly. The INT setting doesn't work at all, other works fine. Then I compared the 2 stalks, pin 9 & 10 is missing on the GD stalk.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feifei
I borrowed my friend RSX wiper stalk and it plug in perfectly. The INT setting doesn't work at all, other works fine. Then I compared the 2 stalks, pin 9 & 10 is missing on the GD stalk.
Over the weekend I was trying to prove myself wrong in terms of there not being a US market equivalent part to the FR-V one. I was not successful, but I found this thread about similar efforts for the Element that seems to backup what feifei has found. It seems that the RSX and 2003-08 Pilot have similar wiper switches that have two more pins that don't match the Fit or the Element.

The solution for the Element was to add some wires to connect those extra pins to connections on the under-dash fuse panel (see the linked thread). I have no idea if a similar approach could be taken for the Fit. The Element people seemed to make reference to another timer or control module that is present on the Element that makes this possible. I don't know if this is true or not. After consulting with the Fit ETM, I can say there is no such additional module in the Fit's circuit. The Fit only has fuses, the switch module, and the wiper/washer motors.

Another possible line of investigation is that the Element solution resulted in intermittent settings that very based on the vehicle speed. On the Fit, there is no VSS input to the wiper switch, so it could be that the additional pins on the RSX/Pilot switches are simply related to VSS input to the timer (if the timer is in the switch).

Another factor in all of this is the location of the intermittent setting timer. On the Fit, the timer is shown as being in the switch module. The same would seem to be true of the FR-V. However, I found (based on the parts catalog) that there is some other control module in the FR-V related to the wipers, which would seem to contradict the interchangeability of the Fit and FR-V switches.

Over the weekend I was also able to snag a used FR-V wiper switch off of ebay from a German seller, so I will be trying Mapone's approach. At this point it seems safe to assume that the FR-V switch will not give intermittent settings based on the vehicle speed, but I can live with that. I will probably not install it until warmer months, but we will eventually get to the bottom of it!

Quick Reply: 2008 Sport DIY Variable Intermittent Wiper