1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

08 misfires once in while

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Installed coils

Originally Posted by doctor J
It will be interesting to know what code number is.
I installed the coil packs this morning. Took about 20 minutes. Only light snow coming down at 22F. Drove car for about 20 minutes no missing so far. Seems to be running really smooth but maybe its just my imagination that's making me think its so smooth now. Had it up on the thruway and couldn't get it to miss plus no miss at idle. Before coil packs it would miss at idle at least a few times even during short 5 mile trips at idle.

I wont get my code checker until Monday. Then I will see what codes were stored and clear them. Right now engine light is still on which came on Tuesday. No idea if engine light will go off on its own or I have to clear codes. When I had my auto transmission problem with the flashing "D" and engine light after I fixed that with the pressure switch the light went out and never came back. I never checked it to see if it ever left a code from that.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
The CEL will go out if no problem detected within 40 start up events.
If replacement coils fixed your problem, I will probably do it before waiting for 70K mark (but at this mileage I will probably trade my Fit for electrical vehicle).
My relative's 08 Fit Sport has original coils and plugs and is 78K; the steering wheel vibrates (not like miss but rather vibration I observed on many FWD cars) when stopped with transmission in D; scanner in mode $6 did not detect any vibration.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Ok checked for what code was set. it was P2a00 which I looked up as o2 sensor which makes sense because the engine was miss firing which would put raw gas down the exhaust pipe causing o2 sensor to be way off. BUT no miss fire code. I would think there would be both. Any way I have been driving the car now without any more miss fires and just cleared the code. Will see if anything resets. Hope having the engine miss fire a while didn't causes a problem with the o2 sensor. BUT car is running fine now. So it had to be the coil packs because as soon as I put coils in the miss fire stopped.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Engine light keeps coming back!!

My check engine light keeps coming back with that O2 sensor code P2a00. I clear it and it comes back in about 20 minutes of driving. Since I put the 4 coil packs in the car runs smooth as silk. Never missed once which clearly was the original problem BUT did this miss fire I had for about a week of driving damage the O2 sensor?? The car runs fine. I haven't yet checked the gas mileage but will soon. Maybe excess gas from miss fire coated the sensor and its damaged?

Plus there are TWO O2 sensors so which one is having a problem. Iam using that blue tooth code reader with the free android app Torque light program which doesn't show O2 reading. Not sure what readings it would give. I assume voltage is applied to the O2 sensor and depending on what goes through it or maybe it measure resistance in ohms to get some kind of reading. Both of the O2 sensors aren't cheap. As long as it keeps running fine and gas mileage is in normal range iam leaving it alone at least until spring. BUT I would like to at least know which O2 sensor it is plus were its located. I haven't yet tried looking but iam guessing on the exhaust manifold and maybe farther down on the exhaust pipe?

BUT iam 100 percent positive the miss fire was one of those coils I replaced.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Update

Ok my check engine light stayed on and then after a few days the car started surging. I new the engine code was for the front O2 sensor. So I bought a Denso O2 sensor put it in and now car all fixed. I believe me driving the car for a week while I waited for the coil packs caused the O2 sensor to go bad. To much excess fuel going down the exhaust for a week. Because as soon as I replaced coils the car ran smoothly no miss fire which by that time it was missing quite a bit.

So a word of warning don't keep driving the car if its miss firing. The O2 sensor from Rock Auto was reasonably priced at $135 Denso brand. I 2nd day shipped it so 150 total with shipping and stopped driving the car until I got it so I wouldn't screw up the second O2 sensor or melt the cat converter. Mixture was real rich at this point.

So the miss fire was caused by the coils, wish I over nighted them but it was too cold to change them for a week any way. It was around 0 to 5F actual temp not wind chill.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Change ignition coils and plugs and always!!! Pump 93 octane gas, never use anything else and you'll never run into this problem again. I know, changed my coil ignitions twice on my 08 Fit, third time and only pumped 93, never had a problem since, also, I did the same for my 07 Fit sport, no problems. Do this for any model or year Fit, also, I recommended using chevron fuel system cleaner every oil change.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F-it good
Change ignition coils and plugs and always!!! Pump 93 octane gas, never use anything else and you'll never run into this problem again. I know, changed my coil ignitions twice on my 08 Fit, third time and only pumped 93, never had a problem since, also, I did the same for my 07 Fit sport, no problems. Do this for any model or year Fit, also, I recommended using chevron fuel system cleaner every oil change.
Not true.

In my 07 Fit with over 145k miles, I've never used anything besides 87 octane, haven't changed the coilpacks a single time, and have never used any fuel system cleaner (most, if not all top tier fuels already come with a fuel system cleaner additive). I have adjusted the valves and changed the spark plugs at 100k as recommended, as well as other recommended maintenance.

Your experience may vary, but I can tell you for a fact that 87 octane is perfectly fine for our cars.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 PM
The Fit isn't even mapped for 93 oct, wont do you any better to run 93.

Have you determined that it is a misfire for sure? I had a similar problem ended up being a fuel cut.

I randomly would throw a bank 1 o2 code then it would self clear, then come back maybe in a couple months. Then my car started to what I thought was a misfire. Determined it was not my coil packs. Did a valve lash, as they were WAY loose. Took it for a drive, still stuttering. Finally were able to determine it was the charging system. Battery was low on water. Also, EG guys will remember that sometimes the Main Relay would go sometimes causing similar problems. Replacing the fuel pump relay is dirt cheap <10$. Id say its worth a shot, from my experience with what sounds to be the same problem.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jgpoirier
The Fit isn't even mapped for 93 oct, wont do you any better to run 93.

Have you determined that it is a misfire for sure? I had a similar problem ended up being a fuel cut.

I randomly would throw a bank 1 o2 code then it would self clear, then come back maybe in a couple months. Then my car started to what I thought was a misfire. Determined it was not my coil packs. Did a valve lash, as they were WAY loose. Took it for a drive, still stuttering. Finally were able to determine it was the charging system. Battery was low on water. Also, EG guys will remember that sometimes the Main Relay would go sometimes causing similar problems. Replacing the fuel pump relay is dirt cheap <10$. Id say its worth a shot, from my experience with what sounds to be the same problem.
Iam assuming your asking me the OP. If so Once I installed the coil packs the miss fire stopped right off. By the time I had the coils (took a week to get coils) it was miss firing ALOT while idling. So it was obvious it solved the miss fire problem BUT since I drove it for the week while it was steadily getting worse I believe I clogged up the O2 sensor. Hence the O2 sensor code after a few days of driving with the miss fire while waiting for the coils to get shipped to me. I NEVER had an engine light from the miss fire.Once the coils were installed the miss fire was gone BUT the engine light would return after clearing the code for O2 sensor in 10 minutes or so of driving. Now that I replaced O2 sensor engine light gone and does not reset, car drives like new. Even checked gas mpg which went up.

So I believe the bad coils were the miss fire and me driving the car for a week with miss fire killed the O2 sensor.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by dc9mm
Iam assuming your asking me the OP. If so Once I installed the coil packs the miss fire stopped right off. By the time I had the coils (took a week to get coils) it was miss firing ALOT while idling. So it was obvious it solved the miss fire problem BUT since I drove it for the week while it was steadily getting worse I believe I clogged up the O2 sensor. Hence the O2 sensor code after a few days of driving with the miss fire while waiting for the coils to get shipped to me. I NEVER had an engine light from the miss fire.Once the coils were installed the miss fire was gone BUT the engine light would return after clearing the code for O2 sensor in 10 minutes or so of driving. Now that I replaced O2 sensor engine light gone and does not reset, car drives like new. Even checked gas mpg which went up.

So I believe the bad coils were the miss fire and me driving the car for a week with miss fire killed the O2 sensor.

Sorry so many people responding, I must have gotten lost somewhere in the thread. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:10 AM
cheap coil packs.

Originally Posted by dc9mm
My 2008 has just started to miss fire once in a while (no check engine light yet). Mainly notice either when idling or when on thruway at 65 and car goes up slight hill but not enough for auto trans to downshift. If car downshifts and rpm goes up sounds fine. Its just when there is a little more load on the engine I feel it like stutter, feels like a misfire and some times at idle too.

Original spark plugs 71K miles on car. I have read through about the coil packs going bad. Its middle of WINTER here so way to cold for me to do anything, no garage to work in. Plus iam not sure exactly whats wrong, could be spark plug or coil pack or both?

then coil packs, I see whole set of 4 aftermarket ones for about 60 bucks were OEM ones are around that for each coil. So 4 times price difference. Are these after market ones any good? Oh do these coil packs come with a new rubber boot that goes over the sparkplug itself? Or is that a separate part?

For anyone who had similar problem can I get away with waiting for a few months till it warms up to replace plugs and ALL of the coils or iam I stuck taking it to dealer for them to check it out. No idea what the dealer would charge me to replace just the plugs plus what they would charge for a coil pack and would they just want to replace all of the coils or just one if they can even figure out which coil is going bad? Sounds like it could be a $600 dollar job I get hit with if I take it to a dealer(just guessing on cost).
Don't waste your money on cheap coil packs. Spend a little more for hitachi's.