1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Special tool for fuel pump required?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
Special tool for fuel pump required?

Yesterday I had the crank but no start symptom. I was able to start the car for a few seconds spraying carb cleaner into the air intake and I was sure I couldn't hear the fuel pump on ignition II. Fuse 11 checks out fine, and after giving up in frustration trying to get the relays out, I left it overnight. Now it cranks fine and it runs fine. But I don't trust it.

So, I'm going to replace the fuel filter, pump and relays (if I can get them out). How easy is it to get the ring off without the "special tool"? Will the screw driver and hammer technique work that I have done on other vehicles or is it a plastic ring that is likely to break?

thanks.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
For anyone else coming along, I can answer that you don't need the special tool. I used a small wooden stake (nice 45 degree cut on the end) and a hammer to tap the ring around and off. Took a good 15mins before it got loose enough to be able to finish by hand. Also needed to use said stake and hammer getting it back on again.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/albu...ictureid=10102

Also, if you are doing this job, a few extra pieces of information that I didn't find mentioned in the Honda guides or anywhere else online.
1) Plan to remove the driver and passenger seat. I suppose it might be possible to do it without removing the seats, but it would make it way harder than the 20mins required to remove them. You will potentially spill gas on the seats too, when you take the pump out.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/albu...ictureid=10101

2) The handbrake is in the way of getting the pump out. Odd that it isn't mentioned as needed to be removed but I dont see how it would be possible otherwise. It's easy though, just relieve the handbrake pressure (lower the handle) and there are 2 floor bolts holding in the bracket. Take those out and move the handle out of the way.

Last edited by zQUEz; 08-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.