1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Hatch Latch: botched repair vs. wear and tear

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Hatch Latch: botched repair vs. wear and tear

Quick backstory: I had the lock cylinder replaced on the hatchback door of my base model 2008 Honda fit at a local Honda dealership. Under a year later, I started to develop problems with not being able to unlock the hatchback door. It happened only occasionally at first, though now this has become a permanent problem. Basically, the key won't turn in the lock and the handle mechanism seems stuck in place.

I took my car back to the dealership where I had the work done - after performing a diagnosis they told me that my hatch latch needs to be replaced.

It feels awfully coincidental to have my hatch latch develop issues so soon after I had this work done on hatchback lock but I am admittedly pretty naive as to how much the two are related.

My question: Is it likely that this hatch latch issue is just a coincidence, or is this somehow related to the repair for which the dealership service center should be held accountable?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Why was the lock cylinder replaced in the first place? Maybe the dealer misdiagnosed the problem and replaced the wrong part?

Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
If the handle sticks in the 'squeezed' position and you cycle the locks, the latch won't allow the tailgate to open (on mine it was discovered using the power lock, I suppose the key lock would do the same).
If you can manually push the handle forward and that allows the key to turn, I'd say to lube everything first.

On mine the main issue was a sticking latch.

Lube the latch, lube the handle, lube the cable between the two.
I used silicone spray on ours because it was handy and it improved operation a lot, no more sticking. I had the door panel off so it was easy to spray the lube at everything.

Lube the lock cylinder where the key goes in with graphite....if it needs lube.

I have had to replace a couple outer handles because of rust causing them to bind and not release when you let go of it. The rest have worked well with some lube,

If it's an issue of the lock cylinder and key, their warranty is probably a standard 12 months type of thing, check your paperwork.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Our '07 had the rusty latch mechanism.

Latch lubrication is now on my routine maintenance list.

JMHO, but I think the dealer mis-diagnosed the original issue. (But hey, we are all human)