1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Replacing stock front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Replacing stock front speakers

Hi guys,

My passenger side front speaker is torn and sounds bad since it rattles when there is any bass. Please recommend where I can get replacement speakers and a suitable replacement. I've looked at crutchfeld before but they always seem to be sold out. Is it worth buying blank speaker adapters?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Hi guys,

My passenger side front speaker is torn and sounds bad since it rattles when there is any bass. Please recommend where I can get replacement speakers and a suitable replacement. I've looked at crutchfeld before but they always seem to be sold out. Is it worth buying blank speaker adapters?
Go here>>> Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers

I recommend to "heighten" the sound stage of sorts, get some cheaper 2-way speakers since you're running off the deck (Infinity is my choice for good mid-bass/highs to supplement the stock tweeters) and you'll be all set. Later buy a 2nd set for the doors and it'll sound like you added a small amp or sub. That's how good Infinity (owned by Harmon-Kardon) speakers are. It makes for a good commuter stereo. I'm running Infinity Kappa Series but of amp. The deck will have no problem pushing the Reference Series Line.

Infinity 6032si 6.5" Reference Series Shallow-Mount Speakers

If on a budget, just drop these in.
Precision Power PPI BF.653 220W 6.5" 3-Way Black Ice Coaxial Car Speakers
Anything will better than stock. Especially blown stock woofers.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Des! The product you link to says its discontinued though.

I'm a musician so I really don't mind spending a bit more to get some good quality speakers. I find the bass is entirely sufficient with the stock setup and I'm not at all interested in installing a sub so speakers that have nice tight mids and bass on par with the stock ones are perfect for me.

Do I need to buy an adapter kit to fit these speakers in my car door? Will I have to drill new holes? I'm probably gonna do a little soundproofing while I'm in there for general comfort and to avoid rattles. What is the proper size speaker I'm looking at? 6.5"?

If I'm gonna order from the net, I need a company that will ship to Canada for a reasonable fee. Many American suppliers only ship international priority which is like 50$ so it would offset any savings that could be had of ordering online in the first place