1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Tore my CV boot.... Are Left-right outer boots the same?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:34 AM
kwb
5 Year Member
Tore my CV boot.... Are Left-right outer boots the same?

Ok.... A little background, '07 fit with 230k miles, we are now it Italy, courtesy of uncle sam and my wife's Navy career.

So I broke a lug stud rotating the tires, long string of profanity, and found another stud in the bucket of parts at the hobby shop (Most bases have a garage where you rent the bays by the hour. They have a bucket of bolts, nuts, etc). It matched the dimensions, so I tried to install it. It was being stubborn, so I tried to encourage it with a hammer and must have hit my CV Boot, which is now torn. The bolt never got in.

I've since ordered new bearings, lugs and nuts (I'm changing them all out, this is #3 to break over the years... usually after new tires), and axle nut. Anyways, found the tear when starting this, so project is on hold to buy new boots.

I can not find a right-CV boot. All the aftermarket parts I can find are universal or list just the left outer boot as compatible. I can't see there being a difference, but I also can't find dimensions of the OEM boots... so I'm at a loss. I also don't speak italian yet, so going to the dealer isn't overly effective....

So, are the Right and Left outer boots interchangeable??

The Honda part numbers are: Right 44018-SAB-N02 and Left 44018-SAB-N21

Grazie

Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Factory boots NO, aftermarket - yes. Don't know the difference.
It looks more cost effective to replace entire axle with good used one, because disassembly of the axle is needed to replace the outer joint boot.
For the person who never done it it will be a can of worms.
If tear is less then 1/2 inch long Hondabond may glue it
On Accord and Civic the stud can be inserted without dismantling the hub if one side of its head (or flange ) is grounded down.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
If tear is less then 1/2 inch long Hondabond may glue it

This. ^^^

The boot is not worn, it's just damaged. I've fixed CV boots like that (with RTV) and they have been fine for years.

The key is to get it done before all the CV grease sprays out! Make sure you clean it before sealing, and try to work the sealer into the cut a little.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Also, Toyota seal packing (black slow setting RTV) works even better on neoprene and Buna-N rubber