2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Inboard Joint Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Inboard Joint Repair?

Hello All,

First time wheel bearing and hub replacement here...

Anyhow, after getting everything pressed... right before I attempt to reinstall the hub carrier... I noticed that the axle had been pulled out from the boot around the inboard joint. I tried to see if it could be pushed back in but as I have never done any repairs on the CV axle, I don't know what to look for. See attached image...

So, obviously... I can't install the hub carrier back on until this is fixed...Is this easily repaired or should I be considering replacing the right cv axle shaft?

Any help is extremely appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Inboard Joint Repair?-cvjoint.jpg  

Last edited by tekmcleod; 10-22-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:46 PM
You can wiggle it around for an hour trying to hammer the joint back in or you can cut the boot strap and align it properly then reinstall it.

Either way, its going to be a pain, especially if you want to take the boot off (be careful of the grease falling out, you don't want to lose too much).

I used to try and stick with OEM, but with CV jobs, I now always just get a new axle. Duralast Gold has one I think that has neoprene boots and stainless steep clamps for only around $90

Here is a thread on your problem:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ront-axle.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...oing-back.html
^This one has a picture where you can see the Y shape of the joint

Last edited by TheFitBit; 10-24-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add links
Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
How I got it back in...

I did try wiggling it around for about an hour... but, I couldn't imagine what I was actually doing until I gave in, cut the boot band and bought the Haynes online manual for the Fit...
Manual suggested to use a drift and a hammer to knock the cv axle off the half-axle joint. I tried it and it worked pretty smoothly. And, then it was easy to see what the problem was...
I read on another post with someone saying how surprised they were that it should be so difficult to slide the joint in considering how simple of a design it is... I would have to agree... even after getting it down, removing the grease and trying to understand how it works... it took a huge amount of patience to slide the bearing wheels into their path
Anyhow, after piling new grease back into the boot and the joint cover(?) the cv axle clicked into place with moderate force and I called it a day
Have to say, though, I was extremely close to buying a new axle and would have had I not been so strapped for cash... true what they say... sometimes necessity chooses our course
anyhow, thanks for the reply fitbit... hope I can pass on the help if anybody else finds themselves in the same mess.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:38 PM
That sounds like a huge pain, but I am glad to hear you got it done! If you have any pictures, you should post em here.