1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

My Fit was drowned in a flood...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
My Fit was drowned in a flood...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

I saw it towed away still leaking water....We live in Houston and both my husband's 4Runner and my little Fit were under 4 feet of water for 12 days as Buffalo Bayou ran through our house, garage, yard, etc....

Insurance paid me $7500 for it...it only had 53,000 miles....So sad to let it go, but perhaps it will live on as parts transplants for other Fit Freaks....

I am not going to get another Fit....Need more size and substance and a few comforts this time....So I guess this is a slow goodbye....I had made some friends here sharing our love of these nifty little cars...

Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
So sad!

We had a smaller storm here that knocked out our power all of last week and did some damage, but our Fit was safe in the garage. Other cars were outside and had to deal with it.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Hope you find something else that gives you as many years of joy as your Fit did.

If you are OK with the same size, but considerably more substance, test drive a VW Golf. We picked one up a few weeks ago and are very happy with the substantial feel and performance in a small package.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
I, too, am sorry for your loss. Maybe this will be an opportunity for you to get a vehicle that you really want. Let us know how it works out. I'm sure many here would be interested to know your next vehicle and how you like it.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
So sad!

We had a smaller storm here that knocked out our power all of last week and did some damage, but our Fit was safe in the garage. Other cars were outside and had to deal with it.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Hope you find something else that gives you as many years of joy as your Fit did.

If you are OK with the same size, but considerably more substance, test drive a VW Golf. We picked one up a few weeks ago and are very happy with the substantial feel and performance in a small package.
Thanks for the sympathy. I am going to go up a bit in size, looking at Toyota Rav4 or Highlander. I would prefer to get an older Rav with the full-sized spare on the back, but getting one with low miles would be a difficult quest and I am pressed for time (we currently have -0- cars, are renting a Ford 150). While I loved my Fit, I didn't like it on the highway for long drives and I never got the great gas mileage from it that some did. I still love the color though! Oh well, nothing I can do now...

Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Thanks for the sympathy. I am going to go up a bit in size, looking at Toyota Rav4 or Highlander. I would prefer to get an older Rav with the full-sized spare on the back, but getting one with low miles would be a difficult quest and I am pressed for time (we currently have -0- cars, are renting a Ford 150). While I loved my Fit, I didn't like it on the highway for long drives and I never got the great gas mileage from it that some did. I still love the color though! Oh well, nothing I can do now...
Best of luck with the hunt, we'll miss you around here. You've been on here since the early days

Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I will miss this forum. The High Roller days where we ran our approval points up to ridiculous levels....I do miss being able to give people points...especially the newbies. Ah well, every good thing must come to its end...

Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I, too, am sorry for your loss. Maybe this will be an opportunity for you to get a vehicle that you really want. Let us know how it works out. I'm sure many here would be interested to know your next vehicle and how you like it.
I really wanted my Fit...even bought out of state which was a new experience for me.

Since we are under a time crunch I can't be as fussy as I would like to be, and will be buying this next vehicle as only that and not an extension of my personality as I felt with the Fit. We used to be a Toyota only family and that is where I am going for the next vehiclle. The main flaw I have seen with Honda in general is their exterior noise in the cabin. I suppose you have to upgrade to Acura if you want less road noise.

Anyway I will post photos when I get the "new" vehicle (it will be used).

Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
When my '08 Sport got totaled by a red light runner back in Jan. '16, I found myself in somewhat the same situation as you. Smack dab in the middle of a Wisconsin winter. Not a fun time to go car shopping.

In the end, I got a '16 LX Fit (3rd gen). It's quite an improvement over the 1st gen. In particular, the CVT is much smoother than the standard automatic on the 2nd gen. It's quieter too. My understanding is that Honda beefed up the insulation in the A-pillars, as that can be a major source of transmitted noise to the cabin. I wouldn't exactly call it a luxury car, but the difference in noise and transmitted vibration was noticeable.

I test drove the Honda HR-V, kind of a Fit on steroids, same Magic Seat. Reason I didn't get it - $4-5K more, and it was underpowered compared to the Fit. Exact numbers escape me, but I think it was 144 hp for 500+ lb. more weight vs. the Fit's 130 hp. for 500 lb. less weight.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
When my '08 Sport got totaled by a red light runner back in Jan. '16, I found myself in somewhat the same situation as you. Smack dab in the middle of a Wisconsin winter. Not a fun time to go car shopping.

In the end, I got a '16 LX Fit (3rd gen). It's quite an improvement over the 1st gen. In particular, the CVT is much smoother than the standard automatic on the 2nd gen. It's quieter too. My understanding is that Honda beefed up the insulation in the A-pillars, as that can be a major source of transmitted noise to the cabin. I wouldn't exactly call it a luxury car, but the difference in noise and transmitted vibration was noticeable.

I test drove the Honda HR-V, kind of a Fit on steroids, same Magic Seat. Reason I didn't get it - $4-5K more, and it was underpowered compared to the Fit. Exact numbers escape me, but I think it was 144 hp for 500+ lb. more weight vs. the Fit's 130 hp. for 500 lb. less weight.
I will miss the Magic Seats! and how amazed people were at what I could load in my back cargo area! LOL Got a big Hon 2-drawer lateral filing cabinet in there with room to spare!

But around here, if you don't have at least a "small" SUV, you are at a serious disadvantage in traffic. Leaving aside the question of flooded streets....I have wanted a bigger more comfortable car for a couple of years now, but I knew we didn't have the cash handy to buy one. We still don't, but since my car died an unexpected death, no choice.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Very sorry to hear about your loss!...nothing out there quite like our beloved Fits. If you want something a little more substantial, I'd look into the Kia Soul or the Subaru Outback, since a low miles used RAV of the vintage you like is going to be hard to find in a short time.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure of your budget, but my favorite for a small used SUV is the Ford Escape with the 2.0 EB.

The power and refinement are quite a bit above what Toyota or Honda offer at similar prices and they drive/handle better. They are expensive new, but a year or two old one makes for a great buy.

2017 Ford Escape Titanium EcoBoost 2.0 ? Simply the Best

Old 09-20-2017, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Back in 1995 my 79 Supra got flooded as well (but into about 1 foot deep dirty water for 30 minutes) After water drained, the motor started right up and there were no damage under hood (starting motor right after flood was not a good idea, I know). It took, however almost 2 days to take care of interior (disassembly, clean-up, drying out, re-assembly). I've changed motor oil and manual transmission oil next day (but not the differential oil) Not so pleasant experience!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnalogDog
Very sorry to hear about your loss!...nothing out there quite like our beloved Fits. If you want something a little more substantial, I'd look into the Kia Soul or the Subaru Outback, since a low miles used RAV of the vintage you like is going to be hard to find in a short time.
I don't like the Soul and I'm wary of Subys in general. But yeah, I will either have to settle for the newer Rav4 or some other car.

I've had the best little car I ever drove, faults and all, so this next one is just going to be an engine and 4 wheels to get around in. Sigh....

Old 09-20-2017, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
Back in 1995 my 79 Supra got flooded as well (but into about 1 foot deep dirty water for 30 minutes) After water drained, the motor started right up and there were no damage under hood (starting motor right after flood was not a good idea, I know). It took, however almost 2 days to take care of interior (disassembly, clean-up, drying out, re-assembly). I've changed motor oil and manual transmission oil next day (but not the differential oil) Not so pleasant experience!
If someone here gets a BBP '08 Sport part, it might just be my Fit living on through a transplant....waaaaaaahhhhhhhhh....