1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Our GD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
They don't list stages, but they have 5 cams available for the L15a1 and this is the second one up. So, maybe stage 2 if you want to call it that?

Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
They don't list stages, but they have 5 cams available for the L15a1 and this is the second one up. So, maybe stage 2 if you want to call it that?
OK, so the more aggressive of these 2, nice!
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mobile/honda-l15-street-performance-camshaft-fitjazz-by-cat-cams-p1996.aspx

Old 09-20-2018, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by devmail
OK, so the more aggressive of these 2, nice!
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mob...ams-p1996.aspx
I don't believe those are available. Not sure when or why, but it seems that Cat Cams revised their offerings. Unless VAC has unique specs available?

To see the current offerings, take a look here... WELCOME | CAT CAMS performance camshafts

I contacted Cat Cams direct and VAC and asked for a cam recommendation. Both said to use the 2503002 cam.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Finished installing the steering wheel tonight. I'm definitely not a photographer, but here's some images...

I'm concerned that the bearing in the quick release may not be perfectly centered. As in, it may have been machined wrong. Won't know for sure till I take it for a drive and see if the steering wheel is still perfectly straight. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a more expensive quick release, but will if this one isn't perfectly straight.

Last edited by GAFIT; 09-26-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member

Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Got your Sonax ready?

Old 09-27-2018, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
Got your Sonax ready?
I don't! Thanks for that suggestion. Is that the best stuff for alcantara?

Trust me...I would have gone with a leather wheel if this were a daily driver.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
IMO, yes. It has pulled some nasty things out of my BMW and hasn't negatively impacted the Alcantara. Get used to bi-weekly cleanings in the summer...

Old 09-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
looks good gafit!! nice job. keep us posted on how it does through the tail of the dragon.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Used an eBay coupon and ordered the rear RSX calipers today. Woohoo!

Also ordered the front ITR calipers from Rock Auto. They came back in stock today.

All 4 calipers will be matching red PowerStop rebuilds. Not a big fan of red calipers, but I wanted them powder coated. Just would have preferred silver powder coat. At least they will match which is a pet peeve of mine. I tried the DIY G2 stuff in the past. Was ok, but not near as good as PC.

Also got my big order for miscellaneous OEM bearings and seals for the transmission for the differential install. Was painful dumping that much money into stuff that will never be seen again, but I don't want to have to take the transmission apart more than once.

Hoping to get a stock baseline dyno on the Fit in the next couple of weeks. Should be interesting.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I also got the 310cc injectors in the mail that I bought off a FB guy on TFC. Holy stench! Definitely had stale fuel in the rail and the whole package REEKED! USPS had to tape the bag...yes, the rail and injectors were mailed in a bag! USPS then put the whole thing in a plastic bag. I'm surprised it didn't trigger some sort of hazardous material flag.

Anyway, after significant soaking in penetrating fluid and substantial effort, I got the injectors out of the rail and mailed off to Fuel Injector Connection to be thoroughly rebuilt and flow tested.

Last edited by GAFIT; 09-27-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Just heard from injector place. Injectors are JUNK! They sat in stale fuel too long and can't be cleaned even with sonic cleaning. They are sending them back to me.

I ordered a set of Bosch 24lb/hr injectors with pigtails. Wanted to do this cheaper, but this isn't a good place to skimp.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:48 PM
can't wait to see this build done!

Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
The NRG steering wheel hub adapter rubs on the plastics that surround the column. Not thrilled with that.

So, I have ordered a Daikei S-319 hub adapter from Japan. Will take a bit to get. That model is listed for a GE Fit and not a GD, but the wiring looks closer to ours than the model they list for the GD. I will report back if it's the correct one. Would be nice if there is a definitive answer as to which hub adapter is perfect for our USDM GD's. Hope I have the answer soon.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Small update...

Changed the hub adapter order to a Daikei S-314 after some deliberation. Hoping I picked right.

Dyno scheduled for 1 PM today. Time for our Fit to lay the smack down. LOL Hoping for 88whp, but may be closer to 84whp.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Good luck on the dyno. Are you doing a tune as well? Bad luck with those injectors. 😥

Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Well...the dyno guy and I were pretty surprised with the results. It's the highest N/A Fit he recalls and ours is darn close to stock.

Current mod list...
HFP axle back
Denso IK22 plugs
K&N drop in filter

Here's the results:

Can see that heat soak was an issue by the third run. All were done back to back.

Run Conditions:
Run 1 - 88 degrees F, 50% humidity, 1.06 correction factor
Run 2 - 90 degrees F, 51% humidity, 1.07 correction factor
Run 3 - 91 degrees F, 51% humidity, 1.07 correction factor

Guess that it's broken in

Last edited by GAFIT; 10-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Damn,great results! You should post this in the big dyno thread. So no tuning involved?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Well, no tuning, but it's running on the Hondata "stock equivalent" tune.

Since I've flashed it in the past, I technically don't have my original tune file anymore. It's running on their "stock" tune.

I didn't try any of the other canned tunes since I just wanted a baseline that was as close to stock as possible. At it's power level, I'm not sure it would pick up much, if any, with tuning.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to install the CAI, header, downpipe, pulley, camshaft, and valve springs with the motor in the car or if I'm going to go ahead and pull the motor. Since I have the clutch and differential to do, it might be less work to just pull the whole thing and work on it outside the car. If I pull the motor, it may get pistons, rods, and a rebuild while out.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Received the Cat Cam camshaft this week. Woohoo! Decided I'm going to install the cam only and then do another baseline dyno. I want to see how the cam shifts the rpm range and what kind of power it picks up with just the camshaft before throwing more parts at it.

Partly because the rpm range will help me decide the next steps. If I see that it wants to rev to the moon, I will go with a larger turbo (2860R). If it's still a relatively low rpm motor, I'll probably go smaller (2554R) and just try for good torque and a wider torque curve.

I also want to make sure that it makes more power with the camshaft. If it's a total bust, then I'll know that also. Just don't want to throw everything at it at once and then always wonder about the cam.

So, stay tuned for more dyno results

Quick Reply: Our GD Build Thread