1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Car crank but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Car crank but no start.

Hi I've got a 2004 honda jazz thailand model of fit in other areas it's a l15a2 engine idsi automatic transmission with out immobilizer key system. When driving the car just died. And would not start. I've been looking through every system as I can. First is all the electrical components
the car has sparks all 8 of them. Then the fuel system I've replace the fuel pump . The fuel filter . The regulator in the fuel filter. All four injectors. But no luck. The car would crank and I can smell fuel but won't start. I had a friend that own the same car like mine. I've been swaping crank sensor , cam sensor and ecu. His car still starts well. Then I've been doing a compression test all 4 cylinders is above 12 bar . I've adjust the valve clearance in spec but still crank but no start. Battery test was ok. So what can it go wrong. What have I missed? To make the car start and run.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prem.lorlamai
Hi I've got a 2004 honda jazz thailand model of fit in other areas it's a l15a2 engine idsi automatic transmission with out immobilizer key system. When driving the car just died. And would not start. I've been looking through every system as I can. First is all the electrical components
the car has sparks all 8 of them. Then the fuel system I've replace the fuel pump . The fuel filter . The regulator in the fuel filter. All four injectors. But no luck. The car would crank and I can smell fuel but won't start. I had a friend that own the same car like mine. I've been swaping crank sensor , cam sensor and ecu. His car still starts well. Then I've been doing a compression test all 4 cylinders is above 12 bar . I've adjust the valve clearance in spec but still crank but no start. Battery test was ok. So what can it go wrong. What have I missed? To make the car start and run.
To run, you need fuel, air, and spark. You've checked two of the three (although you don't say what your fuel pressure is, even crappy fuel pressure should at least try to start, even it it doesn't run for long). What about air? Have you pulled the hose to the manifold and checked operation of the throttle valve?

Oh, and is the car throwing any codes?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:17 AM
I hooked up my scan tool The car doesn't throw any codes. I've test the ignition switch today and has good contact. It's like the car starts then immediatly shuts off. If you try to start again it would only crank. If you pull the key of and wait for about 15 seconds the car starts then immediatly shuts down. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge test. What I do is very dangerous. I took the fuel rail out with all 4 injectors and and turn it upwards so i can see the injetors spray the fuel and pattern. And let my friend crank it for me. And yes it had fuel. The injectors we in good condition too. So now I'm stuck I don't know what to do next.but I do have a question. Are there any thing that will shut down the ignition and fuel.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:12 PM
progress today on the car. after starting the car. It's still the same. the car starts then died immediatly. but I try reving the engine while cranking it did rev. but died immiediatly. what does this tell? . I'm ordering a new main relay and fue pumpl relay today. I'm going blind now. Don't really know what to do next.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 PM
The car has run 120k is it the timing chain issue?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 AM
I did pull the hose that goes into the top of the intake manifold. The car starts and run a few seconds longer than dies. Can a bad map sensor made this happen?

Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prem.lorlamai
I did pull the hose that goes into the top of the intake manifold. The car starts and run a few seconds longer than dies. Can a bad map sensor made this happen?
Asking again -- have you watched the operation of the throttle plate while starting / running the car? If the throttle is staying shut or shutting early on, it's going to die quickly due to lack of air.

I would expect a bad MAP sensor to throw a code. By the same token, I would expect most possible failure modes that would cause the throttle plate to close would also throw a code, but I'd try an eyeball inspection to tell me if the throttle is opening or not, and worry about causes afterwards.

Sometimes a car that has been sitting a long time will have a critter nest in the intake and clog up the air path, but that's awfully rare.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:50 AM
I have chance to look at the car today and had notice while I was reading some forums. there are 2 kinds of timing chain the first 1 is 126L and the other one is 132L. mine I Count 132. Does this make any differents? (L15a2. idsi). I'm not sure witch timing chain is the correct one for me.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 AM
The car had been sitting a few mounths now. I was not able to run it yet. Still the same . Start runs for 2-3 seconds then stalls. The only thing that made it run longer for few seconds is pulling the hose on top of the intake manifold off.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
Is your exhaust system open and not clogged up?
The fuel has to be measure with a gauge, spraying from the injectors may not tell if there is insufficient pressure.