1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

DIY valve adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
DIY valve adjustments

2008 Honda fit sport, 147K, I'm going to adjust my valves, I've seen the video on how to do this, by a Young Man driving a Blue Fit, You tube video extremely helpful, he said that you adjust cylinder 1 , with the cam markings at top dead center, but what he didn't cover was the position of the cam when doing the next cylinder which was number 3, adjusting cyl. 4, or 2 was also not covered, do I turn the crank 180 degrees again or a quarter turn say 90 degree

any recommendations on a place to buy a manual for my car thanks guys.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
It will make more sense when you are looking at the motor. The cam gear has the marking for top dead center, cylinder 3, cylinder 4, and then cylinder 2, in that order when you turn the crank clockwise.

If you are tall enough, you can see the cam gear while turning the crank. I'm short so I have to turn a bit and look, turn a bit and look, etc. or have the wife look while I turn.

Here's another resource..

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...nce-check.html

And here's a link to the service manual section...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oDG...dDyrW5EWb/view

Not sure where to get copies of the FSM anymore. I bought mine from eBay years ago.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Wanted to add...get a set of offset feeler gauges. I'm sure it could be done with the standard flat type, but the offset type will make your life much, much easier.

It's the only tool I can think of that the job requires that's not in a standard home tool set. These cars are pretty easy to work on.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Wanted to add...get a set of offset feeler gauges.
Yah, and be sure its a COMPLETE set.

We recently assisted a member here and his newly-acquired feeler set didn't go below .008". You need as thin as .006''.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:50 AM
I have a complete set of hard copy manuals. The main manual has been used, the two other ones, body, electrical, are still wrapped up. I'll sell them to you, but they're pretty heavy, and shipping to the US from Canada will prob be pricey. My car was totalled last week. Fantastic car. I'm looking to pay for a new car...so make me an offer I can't refuse. I bought the car a year and half ago, and bought the manuals for $200.

The valve job which I did a few months ago was by far the most complicated thing I've ever done on a car, and it was a piece of cake. Very accessible. When you're turning the crank you're viewing the edge of the gear, and you see the number of the cylinder on the edge of the gear. You need good lighting, and its much easier to have an assistant so one turns the crank and the other tells you when the number is coming in to view. I did a few of them myself with no assistant, so that's totally doable. You really have to have the bent feeler gauges, and as Mr Haines says, a full set. Learning how to use the gauges is def a skill thing, a *feel* thing. Most of us are big strong guys...the drag on the gauge is just a tiny bit of drag. Think more of a violin than a heavy bar.

I also have a compatible variable speed wiper arm that I didn't get around to installing, and a few other things.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:47 PM
My no. 1 piece of advice is to have a buddy with you. It helps a bunch.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
When you ship books, use the post office and tell them its books and you want the book rate..
Havnt done it in years but it used to work both in teh US and Canada..

Good luck.