1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Valves adjusted

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:38 PM
Valves adjusted

Hey guys, since it was in the 60's today I got out and bit the bullet today. Tore down the Fit and adjusted the valves. Now as I mentioned before I started to change plugs but the damn coil pack bolt snapped so I didn't go any further as I had to drill that one out to fix it. WELL, I ended up having to drill every one of the damn things out tonight, a little oversized and used new bolts with nuts to hold the coil packs on, works great. Anyways back to the valves, some were super tight and others super loose. So all are set Intakes at .006 and the exhaust .010 I took her out for a spin afterward and it is like a new car I cant believe the power I was losing because of this, the tel tale sign that this was the issue I had with it dying will be when the weather gets cold again, but I have noticed a nice study rpm now when coasting instead of the drop and bounce up. The inside of the motor was extremely clean which amazrf me for a 2008 with 186K on the clock. Spark plugs were shot, and replaced with NGK which were recommended and were also in the car that I pulled. I did find one sensor from the back of the air box that wasn't put back in, and was dangling so that could have been an issue as well, but it is back in place now and running like a champ, thank to everyone here and the youtube videos as well. Battery is 2013 and has a little swell, and coil packs are odd n ends so they still work for now and I may replace them this spring or summer. Damn those spark plugs are $13 a pop lol

Old 01-26-2018, 11:39 PM
couldn't post pics, says a security code is missing in order to process picture?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you had good results! Hope you enjoy many trouble free miles.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! Bounce or (hard downshifts) on deceleration is probably more related to the bad plugs unable to ignite fuel when fuel injection resumed after deceleration fuel cut (at least on older Japanese cars with EFI)

Old 01-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by doctor J
Thanks for the info! Bounce or (hard downshifts) on deceleration is probably more related to the bad plugs unable to ignite fuel when fuel injection resumed after deceleration fuel cut (at least on older Japanese cars with EFI)
This is in reference to coming to a stop on a side street 25mph or under, clutched, thrown in neutral and coasting to the light or sign, The rpm will just drop to 0 and die or drop to 0 and struggle back to around 700-1000rmp....
It got near freezing last night and the car has sat since I did the valves and pulled out to the street the night before, Took my normal route to the highway and cut her loose, didn't drop once nor any hesitation at all and on the highway it flew like a bat out of hell.
I have noticed lately the fuel consumption was getting pretty bad, just running to the store an back used quite a bit, this time I don't think the needle moved at all...lol
On the 2nd I will be running out to get my son, a 70mile round trip so I will see how the fuel consumption is then which should be a lot better than Ive been getting lately. My service light came on about a week ago for an oil change (15% life left ) so I will get that done as well. I am amazed at how clean the motor was inside, no carbon, oil was brown and transparent not black, no metal shavings or "glitter" pooled anywhere.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Regular valve lash adjustments are the key to a long-running Honda.

We recently helped bikerdrumr do his Fit's, and he reports the same better driveability and power.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Regular valve lash adjustments are the key to a long-running Honda.

We recently helped bikerdrumr do his Fit's, and he reports the same better driveability and power.
I just did a 70 mile round trip but was low on gas so I will get the oil changed next weekend and fill up, set the odometer and see what I get out of a tank compared to what I was getting. Was freezing this morning , upon starting it was a little noisy then as it warmed up it got super quiet, so I guess that normal ( yes I did adjust the valves on a cold motor that sat overnight ) so from what Ive read I done everything right....... I hope....lol

Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 AM
Holy crap Batman..... Since adjusting the valves this thing has power !!!!!
Getting on the highway and moving with traffic is a breeze now, wow what a wake up call. Anyways, I drove the 70 mile round trip to get my son with some side street running in town to a few stores and another 70 mile round trip to take him back to momma, and here at 156 miles Ive barely broke the 1/4 tank mark....just wow ! Great power, Great MPG's again, it really woke this sleeping badger up. I am impressed with the fit for once... Also, it doesn't die anymore, today it was below freezing 7 degrees, fired right up, drove my normal route to the highway not a single stall, stutter, die, ran like a top. I have noticed better RPM readings as well and it doesn't drop like it did before and die, idles down smoothly and takes off like a bat out of hell.