1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

08 Manual Trans question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:15 PM
08 Manual Trans question(s)

I am debating hanging onto the Fit now that it is running better after the Valve adjustments. Now my question floats on the Manual trans. Ive had numerous other manual vehicles and for the most part they all "felt" the same BUT the Fit feels odd to me just the way the pedals are set up ( drive by wire fuel pedal ) feels higher than the clutch pedal so in general just awkward to me.
How far up should the pedal start engaging from all the way to the floor? Mine tends to feel like it engages the last 3/4" letting off, no slippage that I feel or know of but seems when shifting you have to go almost to the floor or it grinds ( that's where the pedals feel awkward ) it just seems you have to really reach and tip toe the pedal to get that last bit of disengagement??? so the gas pedal seems really high ( like you need a longer left leg )

Anyway, is there a way to tell if the clutch needs replacing or adjustments for the pedal or something? If this makes any sense or someone had this experience?

Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'm assuming there is no clutch dragging, that it functions normally but needs a lot of pedal travel to fully engage. I have limited knowledge of clutch mechanisms, but I seem to remember there is a adjuster/locknut on the end of the clutch cable where it enters the tranny. Fairly certain this can be adjusted so there is not quite so much pedal travel required. I'm sure folks with more experience here will chime in.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
As stated by bargainguy, Clutch pedal engagement often depends on the state of the hydraulics. Assuming engagement is fine (no judders or inconsistency), I'd first bleed the clutch hydraulics. I do ours every 3 years, same as the brakes (as Honda recommends). Old clutch/brake fluid absorbs moisture over time...

If you are still dissatisfied with the clutch engagement position after flushing, you can then adjust the 'stroke' at the pedal. If you remove the clevis pin (the piece that connects the pedal arm with the fork-like pushrod connecting to the clutch master cylinder in the engine compartment), you can then modify the engagement point by shortening or lengthening the rod.

Of course, you will probably get used to the 'feel' of the Fit's clutch over time. I wouldn't spend sleepless nights over it...