1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

And all at once it all went crazy....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 AM
And all at once it all went crazy....

My 2008 Fit was driving fine until about a month ago and it did a weird sputter. I took it in to get an oil change and he problem seemingly went away. About three days ago while driving out of nowhere the car died. I checked the battery connection and it was fine so I drove it again with no issue but it felt sluggish. Yesterday on the way home from work the car died on me on the highway 3 times, it had trouble accelerating, and felt really jumpy. I just checked the error codes and I am getting the following:
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0718 - Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0339 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P1555 - Electronic Variable Orifice Output

Am I totally screwed? I know nothing about cars for the most part and am more of a motorcycle guy as far as repairs go. I didn't know if this was a spark plug / electrical / battery issue that is making things go haywire and look worse than it is, or if the engine or transmission is literally dying.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
I can be wrong but but I will check the electrical connectors around the engine. one under air filter element box is the one!

Old 03-02-2018, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
To cause those codes, it sounds like a global problem affecting different electronic systems. If it turns out the electrical connections all appear OK, my guess is a bad ECM.

These are notoriously difficult to diagnose, but one fairly simple test is to remove it and see if you get a whiff of burnt circuits. Sometimes they can be repaired, but that typically involves sending one away for awhile, so some folks just choose to replace it.

You didn't mention how many miles on the vehicle. Plugs should be replaced at 100K and coilpacks soon thereafter. Coilpack failure doesn't always throw codes, and they usually don't all fail at once. I doubt this is your current problem, just mentioning it in case your vehicle has more than 100K mi. and plugs/coilpacks haven't been replaced yet. If you need new plugs, go with the OEM Denso or NGK iridiums, don't cheap out and get something else. If you need new coilpacks, go with the OEM Hitachis, part number ends 0053. Don't cheap out on those either, aftermarket coilpacks don't last anywhere near 100K.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
I think the hunt will center around the CKP and/or the ISS and their associated circuits.

There is no P1555 code for this car....could it be U0155?

I know if a failing transmission shaft speed sensor shorts the PCMs 5 volt line it can 'take down' the PCM until such time as the short goes away or the sensor is unplugged, and a compromised sensor winding can be greatly affected by temperatures (gets hot=short circuit, cools off=short goes away).
If you can get the car to die and stay dead long enough to get this input shaft speed sensor unplugged, and make sure that leaving it unplugged allows the engine to run again, you're really on to something important. I'd want to make sure the same test can be repeated a few times to be positive.

CKP is powered by one of the main relays and shares that power feed with several other items, so I kinda doubt a problem with that section,
CKP is grounded at G101, which is a set of ground wires bolted to the end of the cylinder head by the air filter housing....and that is the main ground for the PCM and many of the engine controls.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
totally screwed? Hardly. Let's start with the simple things. As was suggested by our esteemed colleague, when did you put in new iridium spark plugs? When did you put in new Hitachi ignition coils? When did you last do a valve adjustment? These are the three things that have to be done to this car. If the answer is never to any one of them, start with fixing that before worrying about anything big.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Talking Trouble shooting

Originally Posted by Nydhog
My 2008 Fit was driving fine until about a month ago and it did a weird sputter. I took it in to get an oil change and he problem seemingly went away. About three days ago while driving out of nowhere the car died. I checked the battery connection and it was fine so I drove it again with no issue but it felt sluggish. Yesterday on the way home from work the car died on me on the highway 3 times, it had trouble accelerating, and felt really jumpy. I just checked the error codes and I am getting the following:
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0718 - Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0339 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P1555 - Electronic Variable Orifice Output

Am I totally screwed? I know nothing about cars for the most part and am more of a motorcycle guy as far as repairs go. I didn't know if this was a spark plug / electrical / battery issue that is making things go haywire and look worse than it is, or if the engine or transmission is literally dying.
Check the coils

Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
OP had never responded

Old 12-17-2018, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
1 post ... and gone. we have a pandemic around here ... I wish there were a way to prevent 1 post count folk from creating new threads

Old 12-17-2018, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
1 post ... and gone. we have a pandemic around here ... I wish there were a way to prevent 1 post count folk from creating new threads
You cant prevent this unfortunately ..

Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
Just had all new members, problem solved. Lol