1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help please... Input shaft bearings or?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Help please... Input shaft bearings or?

First Post:

I have a 2004 Honda Jazz (Fit) 1.4 5spd Manual. There is a loud oscillating sound when i let out the clutch through the gears. When the clutch pedal is pressed down, no sound.
There seems to be mixed thoughts on this... throw out bearing vs. input shaft bearing vs. whatever else. I've ruled out wheel bearing noise because its quiet while coasting. It appears to make this noise only while accelerating, because when i let off the gas while moving, the noise dissipates. I will be fixing this myself and want to start troubleshooting in the right place... obviously.

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. I have included a video URL below to see and hear how the action and sound.

TIA... Ken

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysjaxx6v3e...Noise.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by youngmogul; 03-21-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:32 PM
I would do this to confirm since your description is not clear enough. Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing. I think you got this far already. To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad. A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing. Hope that helps.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Thanks...

Originally Posted by GQ_Style
I would do this to confirm since your description is not clear enough. Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing. I think you got this far already. To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad. A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing. Hope that helps.
Thanks for taking the time to give me some insight. I am currently in Switzerland and had to order a Jazz Manual from the UK... just got it today. Plus... I dont speak Swiss-German, so its hard to get advice here. Anyway... I'm gonna get crackin on this Sunday, see where it leads. I will report back.

I am a little confused though. I'm crystal clear on when the "loud noise" happens. It's not when in neutral, either clutch in or out. Its only when engaging the clutch in gears (seems input shaft bearing). But when the car is in neutral... either pedal down or up... i also hear a faint rotating noise. Any thoughts on that?

TIA,

Ken

Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Is the sound when releasing into gear a grinding sound? I want to make sure it's not your syncros.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by GQ_Style
Is the sound when releasing into gear a grinding sound? I want to make sure it's not your syncros.
It sounds more like a rotating harsh rubbing sound. We're you able to hear the video link I posted with the question? I think that video sound is pretty accurate.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:03 AM
New development...

Quick question:

I jacked the front end up and ran through the gears (wheels spinning). No sound... wtf? Any thoughts? Apparently, whatever is making that noise only makes it when the weight or resistance of the car is there.

Again... when driving (moving) and I put it in neutral... no sound, that's why I ruled out wheel bearings. When I Jack the car up and engage gears, no sound... what do these symptoms point to?

TIA

Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 PM
I would buy a clutch kit that has the pilot and throwout bearing included. Also, buy the input bearing and seal and do that while it's all apart.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:15 AM
New clutch still making the noise

Yo yo everyone I have a 2009 fit USA spec idk if that matters. Got 161k on it and just purchased it from a mechanic at my job. It’s solid and just had a new clutch put in and everything is sound. Except the the rough rotational noise when in neutral clutch disengaged. My guy ordered a new clutch kit but is positive it’s the throw out bearing ... will it worsen and or ruin anything else while I daily drive it until my mechanic has the time to swap it out ?

Old 02-28-2021, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Lo
Yo yo everyone I have a 2009 fit USA spec idk if that matters. Got 161k on it and just purchased it from a mechanic at my job. It’s solid and just had a new clutch put in and everything is sound. Except the the rough rotational noise when in neutral clutch disengaged. My guy ordered a new clutch kit but is positive it’s the throw out bearing ... will it worsen and or ruin anything else while I daily drive it until my mechanic has the time to swap it out ?
Just to confirm, "clutch disengaged' means "pressing down the pedal"? If so, then yes it's probably the throw out bearing, but it's very weird if the clutch was just replaced (unless they didn't do the bearing for some reason).

Otherwise it's likely the input shaft bearing that this thread was discussing.

Originally Posted by youngmogul
Quick question:

I jacked the front end up and ran through the gears (wheels spinning). No sound... wtf? Any thoughts? Apparently, whatever is making that noise only makes it when the weight or resistance of the car is there.

Again... when driving (moving) and I put it in neutral... no sound, that's why I ruled out wheel bearings. When I Jack the car up and engage gears, no sound... what do these symptoms point to?

TIA
It'd be interesting to see how this concluded, though I doubt youngmogul is sitll around if this was their last post.

My suspected input shaft bearing: pretty terrible noise in neutral, gets much better once warmed up a bit. Depressing the clutch makes the noise go away. When driving, it's much more noticeable under load. I haven't tried jacking it up but I think this is consistent with what youngmogul described above. It's a bit strange that there is no sound when in gear under no load, but I'm guessing the noise is there but it's just masked by other drivetrain noises.

I'm 99% sure it's the input shaft bearing in my case, but even if it's somehow the clutch, you have to pull the tranny out anyway which by far the biggest pain in the ass anyway. Disassembling the gearbox seems like a nice distraction in comparison.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mobby_6kl
Just to confirm, "clutch disengaged' means "pressing down the pedal"? If so, then yes it's probably the throw out bearing, but it's very weird if the clutch was just replaced (unless they didn't do the bearing for some reason).

Otherwise it's likely the input shaft bearing that this thread was discussing.

It'd be interesting to see how this concluded, though I doubt youngmogul is sitll around if this was their last post.

My suspected input shaft bearing: pretty terrible noise in neutral, gets much better once warmed up a bit. Depressing the clutch makes the noise go away. When driving, it's much more noticeable under load. I haven't tried jacking it up but I think this is consistent with what youngmogul described above. It's a bit strange that there is no sound when in gear under no load, but I'm guessing the noise is there but it's just masked by other drivetrain noises.

I'm 99% sure it's the input shaft bearing in my case, but even if it's somehow the clutch, you have to pull the tranny out anyway which by far the biggest pain in the ass anyway. Disassembling the gearbox seems like a nice distraction in comparison.
I think my throw out is defective is all. I have a new one waiting to go in tho

Old 03-19-2021, 11:59 PM
Late to the party but thought Id give a little input. Ive had exedy clutch kits installed in 3 different hondas over the years and the throwout bearing always started making noise within the first year. Not really grinding or squealing, just a whirring noise. Immediately after install on my Prelude. I put about 30k on each of them before I sold them and the noise never got any worse, just annoying. I've read on other forums of people with similar issues with the bearing exedy supplies in their kits for all sorts of different models.

My input shaft bearing is making noise under load and my clutch is starting to slip on my GD3 at 190k so I'll be buying another exedy kit but I'll spend little extra for the Honda bearing.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
If your issue is a noise when your foot is off the clutch, it's absolutely not your throwout bearing: A bad throwout bearing would only make noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. As far as I've seen, all manual Fits make a whirring sound when your foot is off the clutch. As long as it's a whirring and not a whining or groaning, you're probably ok. Post up a video and we can confirm.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:01 PM
What's whirring vs whining or groaning?

Here's mine, this is absolutely not a normal amount of noise and I'm 99% sure it's the input shaft bearing. I have the NTN replacement in my hand. Just need to get my friend to let me use his garage for a day (or two probably). The noise goes away when I push down the pedal.

https://i.imgur.com/C40o9Vp.mp4

This is with the cold engine and gearbox, it mostly goes away once warmed up but you can still hear some extra noises under load. Not sure if I'll do the clutch too, it works fine and an Exedy kit is a quarter of what I paid for the car.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Haha mobby_6kl, now that is an example of a bad sound. I thought for a second that someone was mowing a stump with a lawnmower in the background. Thank you for demonstrating. I'd be thinking input shaft on that guy.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:49 PM
Nope, that was just my gearbox spinning away at idle speed lol.I just finished replacing it, it was mostly the larger rear bearing:

https://i.imgur.com/89kPqbj.mp4

Name:  ABAX8fy.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  191.9 KB

You can get direct replacements from NTN, as you can see they made the original ones too.