1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Misfire and O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
2007 Misfire and O2 Sensor

Hi Folks:

I have a 2007 fit with 275000km / 171000mi. I just bought it a few weeks ago. It has started giving me hesitation/misfires, mostly at high RPM's.

Yesterday I got P0133 O2 Circuit slow response and cleared it.
Today I got P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire, P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire and P0300 Random Misfire and cleared them.

It had coil packs at 226000km / 140000 mi
It had spark plugs at 209000km / 130000 mi

Any advice as to how to proceed? I will do plugs tonight as I had ordered them (I just do them out of habit when I get a new vehicle and didn't really notice they were replaced so recently). Could the 02 sensor be feeding bad information causing bad ratio and misfire? The O2 sensor is a fair bit of coin so I don't want to replace it unless necessary. Could 2 coil packs be going simultaneously, and within 50000km/31000mi?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-17-2018, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Update: When trying to change the spark plugs, one of the ignition coils split in two pieces.

One piece is stuck in the tube. I have only done coil packs in a few cars but I've never seen a "two piece" unit before. I believe this might be part of the problem, but I can't get the stupid thing out to replace the plug! Grr...

Old 05-17-2018, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to FF and Fit ownership!

Make sure to use Hitachi or Denso coils. Others have a very high failure rate. Dielectric grease will keep them from seizing to the plugs.

For plugs, use NGK or Denso iridiums. Factory spec calls for iridium plugs.

Once the plugs and coils are changed, if you still have a misfire, it needs a valve adjustment. Our '08 is about to get it's fourth adjustment. It's been fairly out of adjustment at every 50k mile check. I believe 60k miles is when the maintenance monitor gives the valve check notice on GD Fits.

In my experience, outside of brake pads and clutches, spark plugs, coils, and valve adjustments are all it takes to run a GD Fit for many, many miles.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks GAFIT.

After some choice swear words, I was able to get the second half of the coil pack out of the tube with needle nosed pliers. Then the next coil pack also split. Grr.

There were two types of coil packs. Two numbered 14016 and two 12016. I'm not sure of the brand. Both the 14016 split. Where they split, there was a spring on one side and a corroded-looking screw on the other. When I put them back together, the engine fired up.

I installed my plugs, which were actually Denso double platinums. Looking at RockAuto now, it turns out iridium would have been cheaper *face palm*. Oh well, I bet they are better than the "autolite" plugs it had in it. I ordered a set of Hitachi coils because even though the old ones only had 30K mi on them, they didn't give me a feeling of confidence! I'll have to wait a week for them but at $50 each it beats the heck out of paying $109 for Spectras from my local shop.

I suppose I should have ordered a valve cover gasket set because I foresee this in my future as well.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:59 PM
do not buy Honda dealership packs, big time coinage, go amazon if possible, the make that is suggest above is what I replace mine with. but here's the thing, I replace all sparks, all coil packs, did the valve job adjustment, even after I took it to a pro, when I got it back from them it had a shutter after start up, that came when letting the clutch out, it would stall a the next stop sign, but it would go away after a little driving. I am going to replace the trans oil very soon. I later have found I could have tested my coil packs to see if they were bad, I see you might have damaged the two that were split, but there is you-tube vids on cleaning them up and putting that right back in, these coil packs were tested with a muilti meter, they were expensive , and I haven't check them yet but , I bet they could be clean up and used again. best of luck to you! Keep us updated on your progress

Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
I managed to get by without driving too much before the coil packs arrived from RockAuto. Fortunately, the coil packs didn't split when I removed them the second time so the job only took 20 minutes. I made sure to use the dielectric grease liberally.

I put about 100km on it this morning and didn't feel any misfires or get any check engine lights. I'm thinking the cheap coil packs were the issue. The Hitachis cost me a grand total of $250 after shipping and tax, which is a cheap enough fix in my books.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Nice!

These cars are definitely picky when it comes to coils. A few on here have had luck with the cheap coils, but most end up with Denso or Hitachi's after the cheap ones fail in short time.