1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Are GD and GE coilovers interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Are GD and GE coilovers interchangeable?

TL;DR version at the bottom.

Let me start off by saying bear with me, suspension is not my forte.
So i ended up getting some wider wheels (15x8, +12 offset) for my 07 GD3 fit and I love them, but the back wheels are rubbing any time I hit a bump (yes the offset is low, yes I know “what do you expect”), and cutting the tread up. Looking a little closer, it seems the rear shocks are past their date to be replaced, and this is reinforced by the fact that the front has no issues at all. So rather than go through the effort of finding and getting new shocks for the back, I decided I’ll just save up a little and grab some coilovers. Trouble is, the ones that I like, from the brand I like (Tein) are labeled as being for GE6/GE8 model Fits. I was wondering if these would still fit on my GD3, as on the site it says they are for 2007+ fits.

TL;DR: Will the Tein Coilovers (Street Advace Z Coilover Kit) for the GE6/8 Fit fit on my GD3 properly? I know they are a good brand as I know plenty of other people who run them on various cars, and I wanted a decently priced coilover set that I can use to lower and stiffen the suspension up.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Tein isn't a good brand.
Lowering the car on DUMB size wheels isn't going to lessen your rubbing.
GE spring rates on coilovers will be way too low for a GD

Do your research, it has all been discussed.

(and before you whine about wheel sizing, I have a very aggressive wheel setup on my car, I just did my research)

Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Tein isn't a good brand.

Lowering the car on DUMB size wheels isn't going to lessen your rubbing.
GE spring rates on coilovers will be way too low for a GD

Do your research, it has all been discussed.

(and before you whine about wheel sizing, I have a very aggressive wheel setup on my car, I just did my research)
1: i’ve heard good things about them from people I know who use them, and seem to do their job fine at the price point.

2:wheel size isn’t stupid, the overall diameter difference between stock and new wheels/tires is very minimal, and are in fact smaller than OEM. Only major part is width as they poke out about an inch and a half more (roughly 50mm, I did my research as well).

3: lowering isn’t the point so much as getting coilovers with adjustable dampening to stiffen the suspension up more, lowering would just be an added bonus.

Finally, I did my research but couldn’t find anything similar enough to what I’m asking about to make me confident enough to drop money on coilovers without knowing if they will fit or not. If I hadn’t I wouldn’t be asking on here, as it seems that registering a new profile and typing everything up on a forum and waiting for a reply would be a waste of time if everything was so easily found on google. I did my digging but couldn’t find the info I needed.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
It will probably fit, simple answer. GD -> GE -> GK will fit each other with some exceptions.

It will not solve your problem as your offset is much too low. Rears for GE can do +33 max depending on your drop. +12 sounds like the fender is right over the tire.

Someone else here used a lift with stiffer springs/shocks.

Fitfreak's search function sucks. Use google and add fitfreak.net to whatever you are looking for. It will show the threads on the forum.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
It will probably fit, simple answer. GD -> GE -> GK will fit each other with some exceptions.

It will not solve your problem as your offset is much too low. Rears for GE can do +33 max depending on your drop. +12 sounds like the fender is right over the tire.

Someone else here used a lift with stiffer springs/shocks.

Fitfreak's search function sucks. Use google and add fitfreak.net to whatever you are looking for. It will show the threads on the forum.

the fender is pretty much over the tire. I was thinking that if I could get coilovers that could be stiffened or stiff springs, it would solve the issue. Try digging more when I get the chance.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
GE COILOVERS WILL NOT BE STIFFER THAN OEM GD SUSPENSION.

The spring rates on Tein coilovers for a GE are literally softer than the OEM spring rates on a GD.

And yeah no, those wheels will never fit your car.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Coilovers will definitely just make it worse. None of the kits I know of can do stock rear ride height. To make your incorrect wheel offset work, you would need to keep it stock height or raise it AND go to stiffer springs.

As stated by Mike, GE springs will also be softer than your GD springs. So that you can get an idea of just how drastic of a difference we're talking...

Those GE Teins have 2k rear springs. BC Racing coilovers for the GD have 6k rear springs. They are literally 3 times stiffer on kits made for the GD.

I would also avoid Tein in general, but that's just my opinion.