1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Any recommendations of new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
There is a lot of science and technology that goes into tires design, chemical makeup and that is definitely an advantage to a good company that has been in the game a long time
I don't know.
When you really start going to individual tire manufacturers websites, and you start reading the "marketing and advertising" claims? My "Snake Oil" Alarm starts to go off. You get so many claims. Hydro Grip Technology, Eterna-Wear Tred Compound, Lullaby Baby Quiet Design...etc, etc, etc....

I've bought enough tires in my lifetime, I don't deny there are differences in quality, and returnable characteristics and results.

But I also think you have to take tire "advertising" claims with a grain of salt.
There is definitely a "This Elixir Will Solve All Your Problems" aspect to the marketing.

And IMO...no tire is really going to make a non-sound insulated, loud vehicle- quiet.
No tire is going to turn a gas guzzler into a economy car.
No tread or rubber compound is going to last forever.
And while tires do affect feel and handling characteristics, no tire is really going to turn a "slug" into a sports car.
IMO, for a modern product, everyone that drives eventually needs, sold in 2018, there is a lot of turn of the century "Snake Oil" salesmanship to the marketing.

I "bought" it when I was younger. But maybe with age my cynical pendulum is swinging the other way. Now I've kind of reached a point where I say, just sell me a good, SAFE tire, that will give me a reasonable lifespan for the money invested.
But don't tell me how it's going to significantly change the vehicle I'm driving.

Again, they (Tire Manufacturers) are constantly selling "next"...with the idea and advertising claims that their latest tire is some type of "Rubber Meets Road" evolution or scientific breakthrough.
But basically, steel belted radials excepted, there really hasn't been a whole lot of advancement since we went from "Steel Belted Wooden Wagon Wheels to Inflated Rubber Tires".

It's this thinking that "might" lead me to take a gamble on a cheaper, non-nationally branded tire.
If they fail in 6 months?
Then I can go back to reading all the big name brands claims, and paying more again.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA70
My Fit has General ALTIMAX RT43 I had installed a few weeks ago. I ordered them from Tirerack The original owner had Tiger Paw tires on it, they were loud, and felt squirrelly. The Altimax tires are night and day, quiet, corner great, excellent in rain, hopefully good in snow as they claim. My Kia Sedona has Kumho Crugen HT51 tires on it and they are amazing... So don't leave the Kumho tires out of it. Kumho are great tires. If you want garbage tires, get Perelli, or low end Goodyears, Firestone. Every Firestone tire I have owned has been terrible. The Fireturd Affinity's that were on my 2015 Civic, worst tires I have ever ridden on, complete garbage.
We also have the General Altimax RT43, but not on our daughter Fit. It is on the family Toyota Sienna Minivan. We have them for a year now and they are GREAT tire for the price. They are very QUIET on the road and track nicely at speed up to 75 mph (No I haven't driven the minivan over the 75 mph limit). We bought them for the great reviews on Tirerack, but purchase and had them install at a Walmart Superstore. They did an excellent job of balancing them and I purchase the lifetime balance service along with the road hazard warranty.