1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2008 Honda Fit Sport IAC location?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
2008 Honda Fit Sport IAC location?!

I searched the forums and found no pics so I thought I would ask for some help.
My 2008 Honda Fit Sport is having an issue where if I am stopped, at idle and with AC on the idle will drop to the point where it feels like it will simply stall but kicks back up every time.
It's usually when the compressor kicks on and happens every 15-20secs depending on how hot the ambient temp is. With AC off, the idle never does this...

I searched and it seems that initial shade tree wrenching states cleaning the TB and IAC should help. I got the plumbing all pulled off and thoroughly cleaned the TB and the stall is still there so now I go to clan the IAC and I can't find what the images are showing for my car? It makes no sense, seems like it would have to be attached the the TB but I can't fin this part.
Anybody got a pic of where there's is located to help me out? If and when I find, pull and clean this part and it still does this I will pull the alternator and have it tested.

Thanks in advance.
Dean

Old 07-30-2018, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Fit has no IAC valve (it's "drive by wire")
such problems can be caused by bad spark plugs/coils, (if it jerks/labors then recovers) leaking EGR if idle slowly sinking down, then recovers, out of adjustment valves.
Rent or borrow the OBD2 scanner that can show live date and look for MAP reading (idle in park, idle in gear, a/c on in park, a/c on in gear) and post your reading in here

Old 07-30-2018, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Well, that would explain the why I don’t see an IAC... thank you for that.
MAP Readings:
Idle(parked) = 7.7-8.0
Idle(Automatic(Drive)) = 10.0-10.6
Idle(parked+AC) = 11.2-11.5
Idle(Drive+AC) = 14.4-14.8

Car never did the stall thing during the 5mins I was out there. Had just gotten back from an errand so car was at full operating temps.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Your readings are normal (reading in kPa):
Ac off

Park 27-26

D 33-34

A/C on park 38

A/C on in drive 48
Compared to mine
A/C OFF

MAP readings with ECT at 91 C (a/c off)

Idle in park 26kPa

Idle in drive 33kPa

(STFT 1.6 LTFT 0.8)

A/C on:

MAP reading (with ECT at 82 degrees C):

Idle: 38 kPa

D+brake 49 to 50 kPa (blower at 2nd speed)

STFT -.8 LTFT-1.6

Try idle re-learn procedure and see if it helps.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have done the idle relearn procedure. Twice now actually. It definitely helped make it feel like it had more pep but it has done this again. So I programmed my scanner to display the voltage(at ECM), MAP and idle speeds during my last drive. The MAP seemed to stay consistent during my drives, the RPMs at idle are ~850 but what I did notice that makes me wonder was that the voltage was dropping to 12.20-12.25v with the a/c, lights, radio(factory), fan on full and my foot on the brakes at the stop light. At idle with nothing running it sits around 13.4-13.7. No clue if this is normal but again, the car hasn’t done the surge since the other day which is kind of annoying. Got any doc or input on what the voltage should read during the car at idle, idle with everything running, car at full speed, etc?
Thanks for the help.
Dean

Last edited by Dean; 07-31-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Got any doc or input on what the voltage should read during the car at idle, idle with everything running, car at full speed, etc?
Anywhere from mid-11v area to mid 14v area, it all depends on what the PCM decides it wants to run the charging system at. Research Hondas ELD controlled charging system for more info.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
IIRC, the with A/C or lights on the voltage should be above 13.5; without electrical load it can be 12 v in drive

Old 11-25-2018, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
So as an update... I am still experiencing this and only because the Defrost turns the A/C on automatically.
Does anybody have a clue what may be causing this Idle drop during stops at lights? It never throws a code, voltage seems normal.
Car is completely stock. ~135k miles on the odometer, all maintenance up to date and no other issues.
It's not every time I stop either? It's just one of those things where I fear the car will eventually die sitting at a stop light and I would rather not have to push it to the side.
The only good thing would be I would finally have something to sort out.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dean
So as an update... I am still experiencing this and only because the Defrost turns the A/C on automatically.
Does anybody have a clue what may be causing this Idle drop during stops at lights?
It bogs down only when the compressor cycles on? Maybe the AC is overcharged.
Exactly how low does it drop-- according to your scanner data?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting thing.
Few times over past 3 years, I've noticed that car idles at speeds lower than typical (at 550 to 600 rpms). It typically happens in stop and go traffic with engine warm and random. If I momentary cycle the headligts (on and off) the idle gets where it suppose to be (700 rpms in D); the idle is stable around 800 rpms with lights on. During the "abnormal behavior" the scanner indicates higher STFT + 6 to + 8% than typical (as opposed to +1.6...2.3%%) Otherwise it looks to me like a "gear backlash" in throttle body drive, but I am sure I wrong on this one. Or can it be biased A/F sensor (reads lean when mixture is actually normal) so an extra fuel causes RPMs to drop ?? . (On 97 Camry (A/F sensor and MAP type EFI) there were no noticeable idle change, however the car failed smog for CO and set P0171 code.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting thing.
Few times over past 3 years, I've noticed that car idles at speeds lower than typical (at 550 to 600 rpms). It typically happens in stop and go traffic with engine warm and random. If I momentary cycle the headligts (on and off) the idle gets where it suppose to be (700 rpms in D); the idle is stable around 800 rpms with lights on. During the "abnormal behavior" the scanner indicates higher STFT + 6 to + 8% than typical (as opposed to +1.6...2.3%%) Otherwise it looks to me like a "gear backlash" in throttle body drive, but I am sure I wrong on this one. Or can it be biased A/F sensor (reads lean when mixture is actually normal) so an extra fuel causes RPMs to drop ?? . (On 97 Camry (A/F sensor and MAP type EFI) there were no noticeable idle change, however the car failed smog for CO and set P0171 code.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Does anybody have a clue what may be causing this Idle drop during stops at lights? It never throws a code, voltage seems normal.
Car is completely stock. ~135k miles on the odometer, all maintenance up to date and no other issues.
It's not every time I stop either? It's just one of those things where I fear the car will eventually die sitting at a stop light and I would rather not have to push it to the side.
Turn the lights on and see if it helps

Old 11-29-2018, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member

Defrost automatically turns the AC on if AC is otherwise turned off? I haven't noticed this, I don't think that happens with my 08. just curious. Best of Luck on the issue.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
the first step is to find out
a) if idle speed control is reacting fast enough to the engine operation condition changes (throttle angle correction)
b) what causes such changes
The European Jazz users reporting broken wire in the bundle for throttle control circuit (but it sets a code)