1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Honda Fit Starter Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 AM
2007 Honda Fit Starter Bolt

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how the hell do you get the top bolt (14mm) off the starter?? 2007 Honda Fit. Thank you!!

Old 08-23-2018, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if that is the bolt that my local Pep Boys had to cut off when I purchased their re-manufactured starter?? They called and told me one of the OEM starter bolts was impossible to get off. The manager was really great about it and only charged me a modest amount of additional labor despite them having the car all day. I believe the intake manifold needs to be removed as well from what I've read.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't doubt it.

Originally Posted by BurntZ
I wonder if that is the bolt that my local Pep Boys had to cut off when I purchased their re-manufactured starter?? They called and told me one of the OEM starter bolts was impossible to get off. The manager was really great about it and only charged me a modest amount of additional labor despite them having the car all day. I believe the intake manifold needs to be removed as well from what I've read.
I've tried pretty much everything and it won't budge. It's in a bad spot to boot. Thanks for letting me know that even Pep Boys couldnt get it out.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
I understand from others that you can get to it by removing the inner fender and going through the wheel well, but it takes a LOT of patience.

Most just remove the intake and then it's accessible.

I can say that removing the intake is easy.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I understand from others that you can get to it by removing the inner fender and going through the wheel well, but it takes a LOT of patience.

Most just remove the intake and then it's accessible.

I can say that removing the intake is easy.
Thank you. I guess I'm going to have to take off the intake. I saw a post where a guy cut a wrench in half and put a pipe on it for leverage which I give a shot and was able to take a hammer to the pipe and still nothing. Thanks again, Rick

Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
It's all second hand information as I haven't had to tackle that job. Good luck!!! Please report back and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I went with the Pep Boys starter since it now is under warranty for the rest of the car's life. I think my shop went through half of their inventory trying to get the thing out to include penetrating oil and saws-all blades. As I remember, the manager said that he could get the starter out without taking the intake manifold off. Once the stuck bolt revealed itself, he called me and told me that he would now have to take it off and would need to order a new gasket. He charged me his cost for the gasket. They were very good to me and were kind of embarrassed that it took so long to change out. One of the many reasons why I give them my business. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Two weeks ago I replaced starter on 2007 CRV by unbolting and re-positioning intake plenum
On my Fit I broke it loose (for the future repairs ) using cut off box end 45 degree offset wrench, 135 degree 1/2" EMC elbow and long pipe;
in theory c-shape six-point box end wrench will work after striking it with the hammer.
On the junk yard (radiator and front clip gone, two hand force on applied to 10 inch long combo wrench was only sufficient to break the bolt loose

Old 08-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Thanks

Originally Posted by doctor J
Two weeks ago I replaced starter on 2007 CRV by unbolting and re-positioning intake plenum
On my Fit I broke it loose (for the future repairs ) using cut off box end 45 degree offset wrench, 135 degree 1/2" EMC elbow and long pipe;
in theory c-shape six-point box end wrench will work after striking it with the hammer.
On the junk yard (radiator and front clip gone, two hand force on applied to 10 inch long combo wrench was only sufficient to break the bolt loose
Actually I did see the post about cutting a 14mm wrench I half and I did just that. I didn't have a pipe but the handle from my floor jack fit over it pretty good. Still not a lot of room to work with but even beating the hell out of it with a hammer still didn't budge( tip of my pinky took one of the hits). I borrowed a butane torch from my son yesterday and going to try heating and see what happens. Thanks for the idea with cutting the wrench in half. It's a good one!