1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

**Aftermarket Advice**

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Smile **Aftermarket Advice**

Hey all! I bought my GD3 (2008) with 93,813 miles on the odometer back in October.
I LOVE the car, but am curious as to the best place to purchase aftermarket modifications.

Also, the headlight lenses have yellowed (a simple enough fix with something like "Blue Magic"), but there seems to be some very slight cracking closest to the hood on the driver side.
Is it possible to replace only the lenses and have it sealed? I ask because I have the "Sport" model with the matching bezels.

Best place for LEDs or smoked lenses, on that note?

Thanks!

Get Fit!

Old 12-04-2018, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Don't get smoked lenses, Fit lights are not great to begin with, that will okay make the car less safe.

I'd just buy the entire assembly from another car at a scrapyard/craigslist/kijiji/ebay/etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Or sand them down and reseal with UV coating. A fun afternoon project if you like fixing things. Not difficult or physically hard just need to prep. I watched a chrisfix video on YouTube and now I can do anything! Jk but his video on refinishing headlights is useful.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Don't get smoked lenses, Fit lights are not great to begin with, that will okay make the car less safe.

I'd just buy the entire assembly from another car at a scrapyard/craigslist/kijiji/ebay/etc.
With all due respect, I don’t know what cars you’ve owned, but the Fit lights are pretty stellar. Maybe you could recommend places to buy LEDs online (I know some, but could always use options), as they’re much brighter, clearer, and safer.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Oh sorry you said the lens is cracked not the hood I read too fast. If actually cracked through, not just surface aging, new is best. Its one piece.. Some cars you can pull off the lens with careful heating like lexus sc300 but I have not seen that done or suggested in this car.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jonny

With all due respect, I don’t know what cars you’ve owned, but the Fit lights are pretty stellar. Maybe you could recommend places to buy LEDs online (I know some, but could always use options), as they’re much brighter, clearer, and safer.
Wow! I wish I lived in your world. My first car was an '80 Prelude and I've owned a whole bunch of Japanese, German, and US Domestic vehicles since then. The GD headlights SUCK! You probably haven't owned yours long enough to try dark rural roads yet, but they are very poor.

As was recommended above, stick with OEM housings. If you are willing to spend money towards an improvement, get on FB and find someone to do a retrofit to HID or LED projectors. We've tried about all else with poor to miserable results. Otherwise you are putting HID or LED bulbs in a halogen housing that was not designed for the different light output.

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-04-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit lights suck lol. There is an article about it somewhere. I upgraded my halogen bulbs to the Ultra Stars and it made a nice improvement.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Factory Fit lights suck... Period.

I've upgraded to PIAA Intense White bulbs in the past and was quite pleased with them. Unfortunately they're discontinued so I now run their Xtreme White bulbs which are still decent. You can try those out after refinishing the headlamp housing lens or replacing them. As mentioned as well retrofitting a projector into the headlamp housing with a LED or HID kit is also an option but many will advise against running LEDs or HIDs in the factory halogen housing.

Depending on the design of the LED bulbs, you might end up being more of hazard than anything since you'll be blinding traffic in the same manner as those who have HID kits installed in the factory halogen housing. The reason being is the halogen housing tends to scatter the light emitted from LEDs and HIDs due to their multi-angled reflector housing compared to the smoother housings of a projector kit along with the projector itself. Those key items help cast the light ahead of the car properly and help reduce excessive glare from the light emitted.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Wow! I wish I lived in your world. My first car was an '80 Prelude and I've owned a whole bunch of Japanese, German, and US Domestic vehicles since then. The GD headlights SUCK! You probably haven't owned yours long enough to try dark rural roads yet, but they are very poor.

As was recommended above, stick with OEM housings. If you are willing to spend money towards an improvement, get on FB and find someone to do a retrofit to HID or LED projectors. We've tried about all else with poor to miserable results. Otherwise you are putting HID or LED bulbs in a halogen housing that was not designed for the different light output.
I have severe damage to my right optic nerve, and I can see quite well — even with dull lenses. I'll admit I've never been crazy about the headlight design, but they're better than the projectors I had on my 92 Civic VX. OEM housings are the plan, but the LED retrofit could be a problem (see above)?

If it's absolutely impossible, perhaps I should snap up the CR-Z I found for about the same price I paid for my GD3? Biggest problem is it's hybrid, so there's battery packs to worry about. :-/ Dunno. I love the Fit so much, though. I really do. I probably came off as rather abrasive in my reply to the other person, but yeah...

Last edited by Jonny; 12-05-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
There are things to love about the Fit for sure. We have other rides, but keep our GD because of it's pureness. Maybe pure Hondaness?

CR-Z's are great also! I think it would be fun to have one as a project.

Headlights aren't everything. Look into suspension, wheel, tire, brake, and power upgrades and enjoy your new Fit. We really enjoy ours...during daylight hours.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
As a GD3 and 2016 CR-Z owner the only real benefits the Z has in my opinion is fuel economy, more low end torque thanks to being a hybrid, a bit more sound deadening and Xenon low beams on EX and higher trims. Otherwise, the CR-Z is an impractical and heavier second gen Fit with larger blind spots in my honest opinion.

Still a fun car to drive and own... just not nearly as versatile as the Fit.