2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Torque Dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Torque Dampers?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has seen a torque damper for the GE8's yet. If so please post it up! All I can find is stuff for the GD and would have thought that after a year of the car being out we would be able to buy such a piece. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Evan

Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
try contacting one of the companies to see if they are even thinking about making one. ingalls im sure would make one

Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I messaged them about producing one for the GE's. Hopefully I'll get a response shortly.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
try looking for a spoon one.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Club RSX.com: Ingalls Torque Dampner

It says that it fits both the GD and GE- 07-present.

Do these things actually help? or is it really just another piece of engine bay eye candy?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't seen the Spoon engine torque damper yet, but if anything, I'll just get it and make a custom bracket.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 PM
To revisit an old thread, Ingalls now makes a GE-specific torque damper. Two issues: one, this isn't really an engine mod, and two, these are a complete waste of money. They turn your car into a vibrator, and offer MINIMAL performance gains- save your $ (and sanity) for something else! Mark W.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
To revisit an old thread, Ingalls now makes a GE-specific torque damper. Two issues: one, this isn't really an engine mod, and two, these are a complete waste of money. They turn your car into a vibrator, and offer MINIMAL performance gains- save your $ (and sanity) for something else! Mark W.

Well depends on what you do with the car. I wouldn't say they are a waste of money. And as far as shaking your car... it depends on a few things, like where and how the damper is mounted on the engine, where it is mounted on the chassis, the actual K-rate of the damper, the condition or style of motor mounts in the car, etc.

For people who drive hard it will help cut down on wheel hop and help put more of what little torque you have to the ground, as less is wasted on twisting about in the engine bay.

With that said.. Would I put one in a DD that never sees WOT, engine braking or hard shifts in general? Probably not.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Did a search in Ingalls website, seems like they only have one for the GD3.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
With that said.. Would I put one in a DD that never sees WOT, engine braking or hard shifts in general? Probably not.
Over the last few days I've started to wonder just how hard I drive my car every day, or rather, all of the cars I've ever had, compared to a lot of "enthusiasts."

I don't feel I stress the car (sans tires), due to technique, but let's just say, I could use one of these - there is hardly a doubt in my mind. Back in "the day" we didn't really have these gizmos, to my knowledge, just stiffer mounts. This makes more sense to me as a DD solution. DSM, you know how much I'm into response. Do a bunch of little things to improve that aspect (intake, TC, damper), and the combo might be pretty noticeable. In traffic, I can't tell you how many times a quick downshift and punch of the gas puts me into a position better than most cars on the road (which are automatics and heavy.) Critical tenths of a second = car length.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Ingalls

I had a torque dampner on my RSX. It helped the driving feel of the car and worked well with passing on two lane roads, mountain runs, and auto cross. I would like to get one for my Fit. In the RSX, it did add some vibration at idle, but nothing really bad.
After seeing this thread about the Ingalls Torque Dampner for the GE Fit (mine is a 2010 5 spd) I called Ingalls.

Phone: 303-665-7800

I talked to David, very nice guy, and he said the GE Fit is on his list. He has a Torque Dampner for the GD already and took the time to discuss the installation in that car. David said that he has not seen a GE 2009-2011 Fit and does not know if the Generation 1 Fit torque dampner will work with it, or what modifications are required to make it work, or if he has to make a completely different mount. Unfortuately I do not live near their shop:

Ingalls Engineering Co., Inc.
2011 Cherry Street, Suite 104
Louisville, CO 80027

David said that if someone brings him a GE Fit he will see what is will take to install a torque dampner and get one for us. If you live near their address, give David a call at the above number. He told me it would be good for a Fit driver to call him and plan something so he can see the car.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for doing that. Great to hear! Someone get a GE up there!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I have one on my legend,

I will agree with RacerRSX as it is very nice for those moments when you need to pass. I never did a dyno with it but those who had were gaining close to 5% of their power back robbed by the power train.

Unfortunately our legends weren't the youngest to have this done so some brackets broke and firewalls dented.

Small mod for the price and you will forever be explaining what it is at meets and shows. but that wouldnt stop me from buying one

Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Make the bracket yourself. That's what I plan to do. One of the GD3 ones I have seen seems to just bolt to the engine mount. Seems like it would defeat the purpose, considering the mounts flex also. Would add more rigidity and bracing if you mounted it to a part of the frame, kind of like how the Spoon one for the GD3 mounts to the strut tower part of the frame.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
It wouldn't turn your car into a vibrator as bad as solid mounts would. In my opinion, this would yield better results on a daily driven application, and would actually gain almost the same benefits as solid mounts.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 AM
What about filling the stock one with polyurethane for less than 30$????