2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

2nd Gen (GE) Intake System Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM
xm8
Will you be at risk of hydrolock with this CAI?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 AM
the engine light is on?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
"If you live in a wet area, K&N lack of filtration is probably not an issue; if I lived in the desert or in dusty conditions, I would not use a K&N air filter on an engine that I wanted to last more than 50,000 miles."

235,000 miles on my '07 Sport. All with K&N Typhoon, all driven in the Southern Arizona desert. Engine runs as strong as ever. Just FYI.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by benlinus
235,000 miles on my '07 Sport..
When do you sleep?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Farther
When do you sleep?
Haha. 300 miles goes by pretty quick at 83mph. Mostly highway miles 5 days a week. I'm an independent courier.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lobomac
the engine light is on?
Never had a check engine light with this intake, ever! I've now got over 20k on the car, so its been installed for over 13k w/o a problem

Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Any loss in low end?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Just ordered my K&N Intake for Xmas

After reading many posts on different intakes, I decided to buy the K&N 69-1017TTKshort ram for my '09 Fit. Having an A/T Fit kind of limited the choices, but I was leaning towards the K&N anyway. The price was right on Amazon, it's a solid product without any fitment issues, and I think it's going to be perfect for the way I drive. I can't wait!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AlanZ
Any loss in low end?
I can't say I lost any low end at all but then again, its a Honda, does it even have any low end

I have over 13k on this set up w/o any problems at all, 2 cleanings of the filter and NO CEL's! This is a quality kit and it shows once its all installed, so if that's important to you, this is the intake for you.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Thumbs up

Wait till you add an exhaust to the car once you get the K&N typhoon The sounds compliment each other perfectly!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
I paid $226 on Amazon last week. Even with Super Saver shipping (free) it's only going to take 4 business days to get here! My order shipped from Virginia. It's going to be delivered tomorrow, so I know what I'm doing after work!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
The K&N shouldn't change your mileage at all.
Mileage is decided by the way you drive and the computer. It is a closed loop system.

Regarding the filtering properties I don't know enough. Some people say that K&N doesn't filter as much as the paper filters so you still get very small particles in your engine. I don't know enough.

Nice mod.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Installed my K&N and now I WANT MORE!

Came home from work knowing what would be waiting by the front door. I FORCED myself to set the package aside and head to the gym for an hour (Jim2beFit, get it? ) before installing the K&N. I took the stock air box out, had a dinner break, then installed the new intake in about 90 minutes for the whole deal, and that included taking the battery out. It was worth the extra 5 minutes since everything was right in front of me after that. I didn't have any issues.

Here's my take on the whole intake deal. I'm not gonna debate dyno numbers, or whether the gains are real or imaginary...

I drove it, and I can FEEL the difference. Yes, you can hear a huge difference, which I'm sure adds to the mental aspect. But all that matters to me is that I could feel the difference in my 10 minute test drive. The acceleration and throttle response both improved.

I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow

Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
2nd Gen (GE) Intake System Review Thread

I figured this thread would be useful for members who are interested in purchasing an intake system in future.

Please follow the template below:

Brand/Model:

Cost/Condition:

Year/Model/Engine/Transmission:

Your Impression:

Pros:

Cons:

Overall Rating: (1-5/5) 1=This is some bull$hit... 5=FTMFW!

Pictures/Videos (Optional):

Last edited by JDMxGE8; 12-16-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Brand/Model: K&N 69 Series Typhoon air intake system

Cost/Condition: $245.00 (Brand New from Performance Car Parts « Free Shipping)

Year/Model/Engine/Transmission: 2009/Sport/L15A7/Automatic

My Impression:

The install took about 20 minutes. The instructions were pretty straight forward. Just like Bob AKA 09 Fit, I did the coolant hose bypass modification. After I installed the intake system, I went out for a test drive. Before I started driving, I checked to see if there was a CEL. There wasn't a CEL so everything was all good. I let the engine warm up for a couple of minutes because I also changed the oil. While the engine was idling, I noticed that you wouldn't be able to tell that I had installed an intake. Standing in front of the engine and inside the the car, there is no indication of the intake. Once I started driving, I immediately noticed the increase in throttle response. I also noticed the sound of the intake. It makes the engine sound deep and mean despite being a cute 1.5L. To be honest, it put a smile on my face. Last night I got on a freeway entrance ramp and put my foot down. I didn't floor it, but just good enough to get up to speed. I was in "D" while I was accelerating. The intake sound kept getting deeper and louder, which was satisfying. It wasn't until I hit close to 6,000 RPM when I noticed that i-VTEC just kicked in yo! I've redlined my GE8 before, but I never noticed the i-VTEC that clearly before. It kind of reminded me of my DB8 when I'd pass 6,000 RPM when the secondaries would kick in. Last night's experience gave me another reason why I love my GE8 and why I love Honda. Back in September, I dyno'd my GE8 when it was bone stock and ended up making 80WHP and 75lb-ft of torque. I am planning to put the GE8 back on the dyno to see what kind of numbers she's putting down with the K&N intake system some time next week. I'll will post the baseline and the new graph with the K&N intake system installed. Thanks.

Pros:
Excellent quality
Heat shield

Cons:
Little pricey
Not CARB legal

Overall Rating: 4/5

Pictures/Videos (Optional):

Blue Graph: K&N drop-in air filter
Red Graph: K&N 69 Series Typhoon air intake kit

YouTube - GE8 (AT) Dyno w/ K&N 69 Series Typhoon Air Intake Kit

Last edited by JDMxGE8; 12-24-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Brand/Model: Injen SRI/CAI Intake

Cost/Condition: Bought this last year when it first came out so I paid $315 including CA tax and commission from where I bought it Total rip off IMO but I didn't know any better. About $250 online if you look

Year/Model/Engine/Transmission: 2009 Sport GE A/T

Your Impression: Install was a pain because we did it at night LOL. And that was the first time me and my friends worked on the Fit. Actually install took a while because we hooked up the HID fogs too. Back to the intake, CAI is wonderful when you're hitting VTEC. The sound is really prominent at 5.5k. Power is there but not as noticeable as the SRI. It took me a year to actually feel the difference between the two! The SRI, you can feel the power from 3k to 4.5k which you will never feel from the CAI. It does lack the sound the CAI projects at 5.5k or when VTEC hits, but acceleration is much quicker. To each his own sound or acceleration. After the install, I raced my friend's M/T GD and the GE held its own! Killed my gas to say the least after the install. Deep sounds sure does make one mash on the gas.

Pros: Switchable from CAI to SRI depending on your mood. I can do the switch all by myself now which takes about 25 minutes. The hardest part is putting the bumper back on -_-. Comes with a dry flow intake (always a plus) Also the place that I bought this from told me that the CAI gives 8hp...I'm a little dubious now but I was just before. Research before you buy! Oh and this is CARB Legal xD

Cons: None that I can think of right now

Overall Rating: (1-5/5) 1=This is some bull$hit... 5=FTMFW! Give this a hard four!

No pics because I'm too lazy...and when I change it, it's usually at night after work and raining

Shitty pic as you can tell but you can make out the C.A.R.B. sticker (I hope)

Last edited by j1nNju1c3; 12-27-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
sorry to bring this back from the dead butttttt, im curious, how does this intake deal with the mafs? it seems from the picture that there is no place for it?!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
sorry to bring this back from the dead butttttt, im curious, how does this intake deal with the mafs? it seems from the picture that there is no place for it?!
Hope with this link will clear your doubt..
³ô¼°²ñ¼Ò¥°¥ë¡¼¥×¡¦¥¨¥à GruppeM Inc. - À½Éʸ¡º÷·ë²Ì

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lechaq
Thanks so much! That definitely helped!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
So has it been figured out what us Manual guys have to do with the bracket in order to install this correctly. I'm very interested in ordering this K&N SRI (Short Ram Intake, because obviously, its not CAI lol) soon so I want to make sure there have been Manual Fit with successful installs.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen (GE) Intake System Review Thread