2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Cheapest way to get more HP/Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Premium is the easies way to a more lively motor that you can feel ...
Well, I can definitely tell you I've seen this first hand this week. We are unseasonably warm this week in Phoenix, with outside air temps (OAT) in the 90's. Example: today's OAT is 92* with 15% relative humidity.

I made the mistake of running 87 octane fuel in my 2011 Fit Sport for the first time since purchasing it a month ago. With the hot OATs, lower octane fuel, and less dense intake charge, I could feel the ECU had pulled timing for sure. Performance was substantially impacted on this high-compression motor.

I decided to try some Lucas Octane Boost additive to see if I could regain some of that power back, hoping the ECU would advance timing. I can honestly tell you it made a big difference in that tank of gas. I will not use anything but premium fuel going forward. Unfortunately we only have 91 oct. available out here, which sucks.

Last edited by XJP5; 04-02-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by XJP5
Well, I can definitely tell you I've seen this first hand this week. We are unseasonably warm this week in Phoenix, with outside air temps (OAT) in the 90's. Example: today's OAT is 92* with 15% relative humidity.

I made the mistake of running 87 octane fuel in my 2011 Fit Sport for the first time since purchasing it a month ago. With the hot OATs and less dense intake charge, I could feel the ECU had pulled timing for sure. Performance was substantially impacted on this high-compression motor.

I decided to try some Lucas Octane Boost additive to see if I could regain some of that power back, hoping the ECU would advance timing. I can honestly tell you it made a big difference in that tank of gas. I will not use anything but premium fuel going forward. Unfortunately we only have 91 oct. available out here, which sucks.
Dont use too much octane boost, it will foul your plugs and cause misfires. See if you can find ethanol free premium and that should help in mpg. I think they will change the premium here too from 93 to 91. They will do it because of cost saving. So I will end up paying more for premium and getting less out of it, Just like every thing else we buy.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Dont use too much octane boost, it will foul your plugs and cause misfires. See if you can find ethanol free premium and that should help in mpg. I think they will change the premium here too from 93 to 91. They will do it because of cost saving. So I will end up paying more for premium and getting less out of it, Just like every thing else we buy.
Agreed. I definitely use it rarely, but that tank of gas was terrible for performance, combined with our usual high density altitude type conditions here in the late Spring / Summer. It was moreso for testing and to satisfy my curiosity. Learned my lesson though.

Last edited by XJP5; 04-02-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 PM
SB while that is entirely possible re: downgrading us from 93 to 91.. I don't think it will fly in this area.

With Porsche Turbo's and GT2's, F430's 599's and 360 Modena's, the occasional MB SL Blacks and assorted AMG Bi-Turbo's, Z06's and a plethora of M3/5's not too mention all the high boost high compression cars that come out on the weekends there would be a huge backlash around the northshore.

Going from 93 E0 to 91 E10/15 or higher.. that would potentially cause some real problems.

I'll be curious to see how that plays out, but you are right there are indications that we may be seeing E20 and other watered down piss fuel coming this way.

Should be interesting to see what our Summer blend is like this year.

Last year on 93 E10 as my base for the fuel cocktail I mix up for the Laser, I was getting away with timing in the mid teens and >35psi.

On my winter only 93 E0 tune I was able to run 28-29psi and 10-12* advance.

I would be really pissed if we had to use the crappy 91 you get in the south and on the west coast.

Yes it does make that much of a difference lol

Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
SB while that is entirely possible re: downgrading us from 93 to 91.. I don't think it will fly in this area.

With Porsche Turbo's and GT2's, F430's 599's and 360 Modena's, the occasional MB SL Blacks and assorted AMG Bi-Turbo's, Z06's and a plethora of M3/5's not too mention all the high boost high compression cars that come out on the weekends there would be a huge backlash around the northshore.

Going from 93 E0 to 91 E10/15 or higher.. that would potentially cause some real problems.

I'll be curious to see how that plays out, but you are right there are indications that we may be seeing E20 and other watered down piss fuel coming this way.

Should be interesting to see what our Summer blend is like this year.

Last year on 93 E10 as my base for the fuel cocktail I mix up for the Laser, I was getting away with timing in the mid teens and >35psi.

On my winter only 93 E0 tune I was able to run 28-29psi and 10-12* advance.

I would be really pissed if we had to use the crappy 91 you get in the south and on the west coast.

Yes it does make that much of a difference lol
I hope they dont and even Texas Coyote said it would not fly, but we follow California and toluene is being removed for alkylates and ethanol. I agree that alot of problems and pissed off people if it did, but that hasn't happened before . They are also going to gas to liquid technology for every thing (oil to diesel and gasolines) and that too raise the prices.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member

With Porsche Turbo's and GT2's, F430's 599's and 360 Modena's, the occasional MB SL Blacks and assorted AMG Bi-Turbo's, Z06's and a plethora of M3/5's not too mention all the high boost high compression cars that come out on the weekends there would be a huge backlash around the northshore ...
Yeah, we have a heavy dose of ultra-affluence up in the Scottsdale & Paradise Valley area. They are already pissed about having to run this crap gas in their Lambos, Ferrari's, and Aston's, especially in the summer.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm glad this has turned into an informative fuel conversation, but how about back to cheaper ways to get better acceleration/power?

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Here you go:

Getting back on topic

You would be surprised what you can get away with under warranty. But that will depend on what your dealership will let you get away with.

And it sounds like you are on the right track!

Some easy effective mods:
  • Lightweight, stock diameter wheels
  • Sticky, 55mm or shorter side wall, tires
  • Electronic Throttle Controller
  • Underdrive pulley (I personally wouldn't run one but that is a whole other discussion and several people have for thousands of miles without issues, some havent been so lucky)
  • 7 range plugs
  • 91 or 93 oct fuel
  • Piggyback/ECM (requires learning the basics of tuning and then get some hands on time, but certainly do able)
  • Chassis Bracing
  • Mild drop on lowering springs, like Swift Mach's
  • Weight Removal
Then start doing bolt-ons.
  • Intake
  • Header
  • Full Exhaust
After that your bigger gains are going to be more involved.
  • LSD
  • Light flywheel
  • Pucked clutch disc
  • Shorter Gearing/Final Drive
Then for the serious stuff:
  • Boost
  • Nitrous
  • Engine swap
  • All 3

That is roughly the order to do them in as well.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Here you go:

That is roughly the order to do them in as well.

Thanks again, that was the best post in this thread. Pretty set on saving up for the 16'' Enkei wheels at this point. Not sure what tires to get for them though.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Our lil girl's choice

Originally Posted by Blackbeard
How they fit...They are listed as 4 X 100, but have 4 X 114.3 stamped on them...
Holy cow you have a good computer, I can't see that. Well they're due on tuesday so they better be as noted in the description Aye? i know dealing w/ the "E" alot that the sellers use one pic that is basic to the item being sold.
But Black that's a good catch there! I have looked @ this pic maybe 20 times to see if silver or gunmetal was what I wanted. It came down to the sport wheels are silver and our 4 yr. old said "black & orange is good together Padrae " & I thought, ya that would look great! So a 4 year old pick these out. haha 4real.
Big Mike

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-02-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coppatop85
I'm glad this has turned into an informative fuel conversation, but how about back to cheaper ways to get better acceleration/power?

Gasoline is the cheapest way to power. Every thing on the list except turbo/supercharger cost a lot for a little return if any and premium gas will be required with some of it. Supercharging probably will have a little better reliably at this point. Turbos are reliable too but there is more to go wrong because it relies on the engine oil system. Honda requires a lot of oil pressure for the ivtec to work right. I am glad to see the success of homemade turbos kits with little to no problems.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 04-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
Question

Our ECU's, particularly the GE's, do try to dial back any gains you make in airflow by cutting timing or keeping the throttle from opening all the way, or changing the rate at which the throttle plate opens, or enriching the mixture to slow the burn.
...this seems my very problem on my GD. Many updates (panel filter, better spark plugs, sport header, lighter rotating masses, anti-friction treatment, sport cat) ended up worsening my mpg, even with the lightest foot!!!

In particular, mileage uses to improve immediately after ILP, but soon starts decreasing.

Given a FIC would be the definitive solution, would you advise me to unmount my sport cat xor buying a O2 fouler?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion,

Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Guys,

"BP's 93 octane does not contain ethanol" that may depend upon the area you live in and ethanol-free is rapidly disappearing around the country. It was yanked last fall in Northern New York. The boat marinas were the last to have it since ethanol sucks water.

There is a double problem with a CAI on the GE since it has a MAF in the system. When the CAI gets big enough in tubing diameter to flow nicely the MAF will toss a code unless you electronically condition the signal. Some of the AEM CAI's have an electronic widget to do that.

Make sure that you get lightweight tires to go with the lightweight wheels. There can be a big difference in tire weights from brand to brand. Since they are a bigger diameter than the wheels the weight makes a bigger difference. Tirerack has weights listed for their tires.

John

Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzista
...this seems my very problem on my GD. Many updates (panel filter, better spark plugs, sport header, lighter rotating masses, anti-friction treatment, sport cat) ended up worsening my mpg, even with the lightest foot!!!

In particular, mileage uses to improve immediately after ILP, but soon starts decreasing.

Given a FIC would be the definitive solution, would you advise me to unmount my sport cat xor buying a O2 fouler?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion,
I put in a anti friction treatment in my Fit and my mpg fell. Thats why I wont use Synthetic oils until 100000 mile if that in any of my new vehicles. I believe that its to slippery and cause blow-by and improper sealing of the rings. Honda uses plateau honed cylinder liners and ION pistons ring for proper sealing.

More air in and out require more fuel, thats the compromise to more HP. Try different octanes and brands until you find the one that works.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Racebrewer
Hi Guys,

"BP's 93 octane does not contain ethanol" that may depend upon the area you live in and ethanol-free is rapidly disappearing around the country. It was yanked last fall in Northern New York. The boat marinas were the last to have it since ethanol sucks water.

There is a double problem with a CAI on the GE since it has a MAF in the system. When the CAI gets big enough in tubing diameter to flow nicely the MAF will toss a code unless you electronically condition the signal. Some of the AEM CAI's have an electronic widget to do that.

Make sure that you get lightweight tires to go with the lightweight wheels. There can be a big difference in tire weights from brand to brand. Since they are a bigger diameter than the wheels the weight makes a bigger difference. Tirerack has weights listed for their tires.

John
Bp 93 is different in power compared to E10 premiums, Ive seen it on the ultra gauge and feel it in acceleration. E10 has a little more torques at low rpms but revs and goes no where. Bp gives great power all the way through the rpm with acceleration you can feel and see on the speedometer. I believe Bp uses Butanol which has more BTUS compare to ethanol.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Question

I put in a anti friction treatment in my Fit and my mpg fell. Thats why I wont use Synthetic oils until 100000 mile if that in any of my new vehicles. I believe that its to slippery and cause blow-by and improper sealing of the rings. Honda uses plateau honed cylinder liners and ION pistons ring for proper sealing.

More air in and out require more fuel, thats the compromise to more HP. Try different octanes and brands until you find the one that works.
Thank you, my previous experience with anti friction on a diesel engine with way less than 100000 km was on the contrary nothing short exciting, with a great reduction of consumption and improvement of engine smoothness.

I can recognize the smoothness in the Honda too. Soon after an ILP the fuel computer showed a great improvement, but after a while it's as if the ECU decided to add more fuel anyway, so mpg (Km/l in my case) decreased. As far as I have read, this is a typical ECU decision inducted by O2 measures reporting too lean values at the exhaust.

That's why I think that it's an O2 inducted ECU behavior given the sport cat. I think the non-fouler might avoid the O2 sense too less oxygen.

Does this make sense?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzista
Thank you, my previous experience with anti friction on a diesel engine with way less than 100000 km was on the contrary nothing short exciting, with a great reduction of consumption and improvement of engine smoothness.

I can recognize the smoothness in the Honda too. Soon after an ILP the fuel computer showed a great improvement, but after a while it's as if the ECU decided to add more fuel anyway, so mpg (Km/l in my case) decreased. As far as I have read, this is a typical ECU decision inducted by O2 measures reporting too lean values at the exhaust.

That's why I think that it's an O2 inducted ECU behavior given the sport cat. I think the non-fouler might avoid the O2 sense too less oxygen.

Does this make sense?

The friction modifier I used was made for heavy duty trucks and made the Fit run really good but soon after the mpg dropped. Some of the mpg drop depends on the season and how its made. Lots of ethanol and butanes equal bad mpg in cold weather and toluene adds to better mpg in the summer. Its not really the o2 that causes bad mpg, its the knock sensor and intake temps that adds to to fuel trims and poor mpg. There is a correction for intake temps and engine temps along with knock retard. Ive dynoed the stock Fit and it ran in close loop 14.2 trough the rpm range with premium. It should have ran richer at loads higher than 70 percent and in open loop.

You could check the oxygen with this Innovate Motorsports Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Tuning but I think every thing is OK for what you are describing.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
With my previous car (Skoda, a poor man VW brand) PD170, the anti-friction (HBN, for who cares) led to some of the lowest fuel consumption I've ever seen on my highway commuting (like 4.5 lt/100Km, 52.27mpg, on an Octavia Wagon: much larger and heavier car than a Fit) and it was consistent. It seems the ECU is now used to it and add fuel anyway. And I can't figure out why.

Ok, it seems I have to buy an IAT probe and try to move away from the engine. But my airbox is stock, so can't see why intake temps should be an issue... (and the knock sensor is there from the very beginning). And the IAT was used anyway as soon as anti friction was poured and I did the ILP.

In other words: my ECU seems set to burn a lot more fuel than it would if. It seems the feedback from some sensor is used from the ECU to run way richer than needed.

About gas, I always use premium (and sometimes also 100 octanes available in a few pump stations). The small engine isn't burning any oil, so I'm reluctant to think of compression issues/bad sealing...

Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
@ jazzista ... I have been looking for a hypermiler thread where they were discussing that an exhaust leak that altered the O2 reading and more fuel was being added to the A/F ratio.. What I read was either on a Civic or Honda Tech Forum and I believe it had to do with a change from stock to an after market axle back pipe... I think if you can find a way to trick the O2 sensor to give a correct signal your fuel consumption would improve.. If I can find anything about how this can be done I'll let Let you know.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Gasoline is the cheapest way to power.
Well, for one tank, yes. Over time if you only use 91/93/95 octane fuel, you'll end up spending a lot more. If I only used 93 for a year, I probably could have bought a cold air intake and/or exhaust with the money I would have saved using 87, and those mods are permanent.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to get more HP/Acceleration?