2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Has anyone else seen this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I was just caught up in the moment. I get what TC is saying and there is truth in it, for example I cant mill/deck a head because I don't have the 10k in equipment to do it. But there are some things that just require creativity, I needed a drill press to properly drill the holes in the r18 manifold to fit the l15a7 bolt pattern but alas no drill press, so instead i used c clamps a vice and the level on the back of my drill, adapt and overcome.
Sounds like the idea I would have had...except the cordless drill I use doesn't have a level, so I would resort to getting out the camera tri-pod for good measure. :P

Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Not everyone has the skills and resources do absolutely everything needed to do something from scratch... Then there is the purchase price of special tools... I had over $6000 in tools just to be able to properly set up a decent bicycle and having what I had brought in customers from over 100 miles away that wanted perfectly alignment headset, bottom bracket and axle dropouts and the tools to do that alone were over $4000.... I also built custom wheels that sold for as much as $450 a piece and that was in the late 80s... A lot of what is being manufactured for high performance use is far less precision than parts made for bikes but still require expensive tools and skilled people to use them so you have to expect them to be costly... I never thought of my customers as being sissies because they lacked skills or tools and I doubt that the people I purchased parts and tools from felt that way about me... I admire anyone that is able to do more with less but at the same time I feel no animosity toward someone that is willing to pay someone else to perfect a product they can install and not worry about... I do feel kind of sorry for them if they have paid someone else to install the product and have no idea how to diagnose and fix the problem if something goes wrong....
^Quoted for truth.

"After man makes everything, everything he can...he makes money to buy from other men." - James Brown

Money or time. We whine about the lack of money...BUT, when you're bringing in the money you whine about the lack of time. Subspecialization and diversification is a fact of life...do you really milk your own cows, gin and weave your own cotton, sew the shirt on your back, chop down trees to make your own furniture?!? Of course not b/c then you wouldn't have time to make any money. Most of us will do one thing for the rest of our lives...if you're lucky you'll make a decent living at it to raise a family, save for retirement, and have enough left over to fund a hobby or two.

Last edited by blackndecker; 09-30-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Robert A. Heinlein

Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM
^LOL.

Check, check, check, check, nope, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, nope, check, check, check, check.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by blackndecker
^LOL.

Check, check, check, check, nope, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check, nope, check, check, check, check.
and one more check... your hondata prayer has been answered...

Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Unfortunately, Hondata has no plans to include the Fit in the FlashPro release

Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately, Hondata has no plans to include the Fit in the FlashPro release
I still got hope...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I still got hope...
Atta boy!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Turbo or not to Turbo? That is the question!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 AM
The question is "why haven't you done it yet?"

:P

Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
You will have to pay to play one way or the other... A Fit with boost is a great deal of fun as long as the tune is well thought out and implemented... Old post by leonine and explosive potato have proven you can get decent fuel mileage comparable to a stock Fit and still make decent power. They used the AEM F/IC to do their tunes by studying the process and making tiny changes to not destroy their engines.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
All I was waiting for was a proper manifold. I am going to start collecting my parts to build a turbo setup.

Any suggestions or links for additional things is welcomed. This is my first time building a turbo setup, so bear with me. I have always gone the s/c route in the past...

My ultimate plan is to twin charge my fit, but that is far down the road. For now, I'm just looking for a turbo setup to run 10-12lbs of boost, on stock internals.

I'm not really sure which route I want to go with tuning. I have a few friends with losts of experience with the hydra stand alone EMS, so that may come at some point. For now I will probably use a piggyback like the e-manage ultimate, which was what I have used in the past.

My plan was to wait until I had 30,000 miles to start going all out. I should have that by next summer, so my winter will be spent collecting these parts and pieces.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Schoat333
All I was waiting for was a proper manifold. I am going to start collecting my parts to build a turbo setup.

Any suggestions or links for additional things is welcomed. This is my first time building a turbo setup, so bear with me. I have always gone the s/c route in the past...

My ultimate plan is to twin charge my fit, but that is far down the road. For now, I'm just looking for a turbo setup to run 10-12lbs of boost, on stock internals.

I'm not really sure which route I want to go with tuning. I have a few friends with losts of experience with the hydra stand alone EMS, so that may come at some point. For now I will probably use a piggyback like the e-manage ultimate, which was what I have used in the past.

My plan was to wait until I had 30,000 miles to start going all out. I should have that by next summer, so my winter will be spent collecting these parts and pieces.
I'm looking forward to your build thread!

LyonKnightroad and DSM are going to be your best sources of information. I know that Lyon blew his engine so invest in some head studs and a better head gasket! Again, the calvary will arrive soon and give you much better info. Check the "Forced induction" subforum also...DSM pretty much spelled out to the T how to boost a Fit. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm looking forward to your build thread!

LyonKnightroad and DSM are going to be your best sources of information. I know that Lyon blew his engine so invest in some head studs and a better head gasket! Again, the calvary will arrive soon and give you much better info. Check the "Forced induction" subforum also...DSM pretty much spelled out to the T how to boost a Fit. Good luck!
Hopefully I can start ordering parts soon, and get the build thread kicked off.

I have experience with tuning, wrenching, and wiring, so I know its going to be a lot of work.

What I really need right now is turbo info, because I have no idea what to go with. Once I figure that out, I can really kick this off.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Goals? Power/Torque? Preferences?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Goals? Power/Torque? Preferences?
My goal is to build a reliable turbo setup on the fit. I know its going to take time, and tuning to get to that point, but I'm willing to put in the work.

I can't really say a power/torque goal, because there seems to be no real data about what this engine can handle with stock internals. Thats why I gave a boost range of 10-12. I have experience with a corolla engine running 100% stable on 10psi with root s/c with meth injection to cool it. I'd like to keep in that range for comfort.

Preferences is a turbo that I can use for now, that will allow for growth in the future. As I said my ultimate goal is to twin charge, and I know thats asking a lot, but If I have to Sacrifice max numbers to meet that ability, thats fine.

I'm just now starting to understand turbos, trim, a/r, etc so a link to any good info would be awesome.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
For some reason I'm thinking DSM will be posting a page or 2 of info to get you started in a little while..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
There is no boost limit for a given engine.

10psi on a Rotrex C15 is different than 10psi on a 16G is different than 10psi on a GT30R is different than 10psi on my HX52.

There are more than a few folks running 200whp, several of which for years. There are three GE owners that I worked with making between 220-260whp overseas on crappy fuel in hot weather.

The trick is remember we have a high compression ratio. Run rich, low timing, and a ton of boost.

Start with a Garrett T3 and an external wastegate like a Tial 38 or MHI TD05H footprint turbine with a dumped wastegate oxygen sensor housing.

If you go T3 and need a wastegate for cheap. I would sell you one of mine if you wish.. I have an HKS style 4 bolt flange 40mm and a Turbonetics 35mm using the standard 35/38mm 2 bolt inlet and discharge. Neither of which I no longer have any use for...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...project-7.html

I would look for a turbo that is going to be >70% efficient on a 1.5L when pushing mass flow of 15-25lbs/min. What works best is somewhat subjective, but what hurts your wallet least would be an MHI or Holset turbo. Theres a few there.

You are going to want to go for the biggest IC core you can fit, as well as a an engine oil cooler and for 200whp your looking at injectors in the 310-390cc range.

Do you have an idea of what your budget will be because that will determine the rest.

If you are going to twincharge you will need a water or water/meth nozzle between stages, and likely a second nozzle at the throttle body after your MAF/MAP/IAT sensors. This is in addition to a large IC core after the second compressor.

I am leaning toward the T3 turbine for a few reasons in this case... first it is easily the most universal flange for a wide range of turbos and turbine housing sizes. Second, if you are looking to twincharge you will want the turbo to be as efficient as possible while being able to evacuate the mass flow you are pushing into the engine. This means go big the first time.

Not only will it be more efficient on pump gas with less backpressure, you will pick up more HP/psi boost.

I have a small write up somewhere on here using a small/medium frame turbo with a Rotrex S/C to twincharge an L15 motor...

Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
For some reason I'm thinking DSM will be posting a page or 2 of info to get you started in a little while..

I tried to restrain myself.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
There is no boost limit for a given engine.

10psi on a Rotrex C15 is different than 10psi on a 16G is different than 10psi on a GT30R is different than 10psi on my HX52.

There are more than a few folks running 200whp, several of which for years. There are three GE owners that I worked with making between 220-260whp overseas on crappy fuel in hot weather.

The trick is remember we have a high compression ratio. Run rich, low timing, and a ton of boost.

Start with a Garrett T3 and an external wastegate like a Tial 38 or MHI TD05H footprint turbine with a dumped wastegate oxygen sensor housing.

If you go T3 and need a wastegate for cheap. I would sell you one of mine if you wish.. I have an HKS style 4 bolt flange 40mm and a Turbonetics 35mm using the standard 35/38mm 2 bolt inlet and discharge. Neither of which I no longer have any use for...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...project-7.html

I would look for a turbo that is going to be >70% efficient on a 1.5L when pushing mass flow of 15-25lbs/min. What works best is somewhat subjective, but what hurts your wallet least would be an MHI or Holset turbo. Theres a few there.

You are going to want to go for the biggest IC core you can fit, as well as a an engine oil cooler and for 200whp your looking at injectors in the 310-390cc range.

Do you have an idea of what your budget will be because that will determine the rest.

If you are going to twincharge you will need a water or water/meth nozzle between stages, and likely a second nozzle at the throttle body after your MAF/MAP/IAT sensors. This is in addition to a large IC core after the second compressor.

I am leaning toward the T3 turbine for a few reasons in this case... first it is easily the most universal flange for a wide range of turbos and turbine housing sizes. Second, if you are looking to twincharge you will want the turbo to be as efficient as possible while being able to evacuate the mass flow you are pushing into the engine. This means go big the first time.

Not only will it be more efficient on pump gas with less backpressure, you will pick up more HP/psi boost.

I have a small write up somewhere on here using a small/medium frame turbo with a Rotrex S/C to twincharge an L15 motor...
Excellent info. Thanks!.

Do You mind if I pm you along the way?

Quick Reply: Has anyone else seen this yet?