2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Help me choose a intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Help me choose a intake

So I have read every single thread on this forum regarding intakes, and I still can not choose one. I am torn between the HPS SRI, HPS CAI, and the Takeda.. I am mainly after the sound( to keep me from getting car sick) , but at the same time I do not want to lose low end tq and if i can gain some of the loss I felt when I put the Tanabe Medalion on when under 3k, that would rock... I am leaning towards the HPS CAI right now, im open to all suggestions. I would have been ok if the Tanabe was a little louder. Btw I usually shift the car @ 2-2500 RPM

Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
You're not really going to see any gains from an intake, just noise, so I would highly recommend going the DIY route:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-cai-sri.html

I went the DIY route and have about $100 in materials total using a K&N cone filter. I've had it on for about a year and actually just went back to the stock air box yesterday because I was kind of tired of it. It does make the Fit sound more like a racecar though. If you're planning to keep shifting around 2,500 RPM your not really going to hear that stronger engine tone though because it really doesn't get louder until you get above about 3,500 RPM. Below that it sounds pretty much like stock. I did have fun trying it out for the while though!

-Dustin

Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 AM
If you're looking for sound get a SRI, it will be louder. I am not sure if there's any huge benefit to a CAI in this car anyway. The under-hood ducting pushes cool air to that back portion of the engine bay.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM
thanks guys, I would like to go the DIY route, but Im having trouble finding a 2" MAF pipe, and really did not want to cut up a air box any one know where I can find one? I saw that air from outside gets piped to the rear of the battery, which means a SRI would probably be good, but I had some wishful thinking that the longer pipe of the CAI would preserve the low end a little better.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by SlowFit13
thanks guys, I would like to go the DIY route, but Im having trouble finding a 2" MAF pipe, and really did not want to cut up a air box any one know where I can find one? I saw that air from outside gets piped to the rear of the battery, which means a SRI would probably be good, but I had some wishful thinking that the longer pipe of the CAI would preserve the low end a little better.
Your point may be valid about the CAI... things like that are engine dependent though I wouldn't use that as a sweeping statement. Throw in some colder plugs along with the intake and exhaust, you should feel some improvement under power curve from the timing advance the plugs allow in conjunction with the I/E. There are threads and debates on this you can look for on here.

If you don't want to cut your stock box up, just get an intake. PRM is good, dyno proven as well. Although the HPS is cheap, $170 seems like a lot of money for a K&N filter and a tiny pipe lol

Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Under 3K you'll notice the car a little more sluggish, at least that's what mine feels like. Once you get above 3K/3.5K is breathes much better and on the highway at around 75MPH. Most intakes are pretty much the same +/- 1 or 2 HP maybe, which you probably won't notice.

The biggest difference between most intakes are the fitment of them.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 07-01-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SlowFit13
Bernardi Parts www.bernardiparts.com is where I got the replacement air box lid that I cut the MAF tube out of for mine. It's about $20 plus shipping. For my 2012 it's part# 17210-RB0-000. I think it would be the same part number for any 2009 - 2013 Fit, but may want to check on their website. I was able to keep my stock airbox completely intact, so it's an easy swap back to stock if you ever need or want to. Good luck!

-Dustin

Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
As far as buying an aftermarket tube, several guys have tried that, but there doesn't seem to be one available that has the correct inside diameter. If it's even off as little as 1/4" or less it seems to throw a check engine light. That's what is so nice about cutting out the stock MAF tube. It's exactly the right diameter, so unless you get oil or something on the MAF in the process, you shouldn't get a check engine light.

-Dustin

Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Bernardi Parts www.bernardiparts.com is where I got the replacement air box lid that I cut the MAF tube out of for mine. It's about $20 plus shipping. For my 2012 it's part# 17210-RB0-000. I think it would be the same part number for any 2009 - 2013 Fit, but may want to check on their website. I was able to keep my stock airbox completely intact, so it's an easy swap back to stock if you ever need or want to. Good luck!

-Dustin
$20!?

That's even cheap enough for me.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, looks like I will be buying a stock piece and making my own. I think ill start with a traditional cold air and cut the pipe more and more and see what happens.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Bernardi Parts www.bernardiparts.com is where I got the replacement air box lid that I cut the MAF tube out of for mine. It's about $20 plus shipping. For my 2012 it's part# 17210-RB0-000.

-Dustin
Dustin,
Thanks for providing that link to Bernardi Parts. I read all 19 pages of the DIY thread but I don't recall seeing a link to where to order the stock parts. I was already searching Car-Part.com through the junkyards for a stock box for a 2015 Honda Fit. I've already ordered the stock box moments ago thanks to your link in this thread (And extra Maf sensor gasket).

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Dustin,
Thanks for providing that link to Bernardi Parts. I read all 19 pages of the DIY thread but I don't recall seeing a link to where to order the stock parts. I was already searching Car-Part.com through the junkyards for a stock box for a 2015 Honda Fit. I've already ordered the stock box moments ago thanks to your link in this thread (And extra Maf sensor gasket).
No problem. I think it's mentioned on about page 3 or 4 of the DIY thread, but it would be easy to miss. I used the factory rubber boot/gasket that seals up to the throttle body for my DIY intake. I just switched back to the factory airbox a few days ago and it was still in good shape.....just inserted it back into the stock airbox and put everything back together.

The intake was fun to play with for a while, I just kind of got tired of it. I forgot how quiet the engine is with the stock airbox!

-Dustin

Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 AM
I would like to update this.. I bought a Takeda intake from Autoanything.com, and got it for 150 shipped. The low end increase is effeminately noticeable, it takes less throttle input to keep the car at 45 mph, the car does noticeably better when being shifted at 1700-2000 RPM. As for mpg, I think its going to be a nice increase. I normally watch the little mpg readout ( the squares) like a hawk when I drive, most places where the car would be fluctuating between a bar or 2 will hold steady at 2 bars. Time will tell if this will equal more mpg in the long run or not. Most of all, the increased noise is keeping me from getting car sick on the highway!! Definitely worth the $150

Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Reading this post I was reminded about bars as gauges. OHHH how I love needle gauges. The Fujita SRI is my weapon of choice .

Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
DIY is easy and cheap

Old 09-28-2014, 01:47 AM
Just saw this post and realize I am late. Wanted to give my opinion on intakes. Had the PRM short ram intake on my GE8 2010 Honda Fit Sport Manual. It definitely makes more power you can feel and hear. 9.6 sec 5-60 MPH vs about 10.5sec with out it. Fairly quiet below 4k but above that and above 5.5k (Vtec comes on) wear ear plugs AND Earmuffs as it is deafening LOUD! Got better gas mileage with it too. Easy to install compared to others I looked at. No longer own it as it was too loud to live with. Darn shame as it shows how air starved this engine is at high RPM with out it. This intake makes a little more power and a lot more noise. It would be much better if this situation was reversed.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Ok if I was the Original poster and you granny shit your car, you wasted money buying that exhaust too. In/Ex you're going to loose low end but gain power after vtec at 5500rpm so just remove the resonator on stock intake since you only want to "sound" like you're faster than stock. See guys like me buy in/hdr/ex to make more power but to also hear the sound Hondas are known for when the engine goes into VTEC (mmmmmmBAAAAAAA). It's music to my ears. We go into VTEC any chance we get, even if it isn't all the way to redline. I'll post a vid on youtube of a guy using a go pro. You cant hear vtec until you get an intake. The L15 sounds a lot like 99'-00' Civic SI B16A.

You can REALLY hear the VTEC X-OVER in the video below. its so good I keep my radio down haha. But seriously we faithful Honda Acura owners do this for the added power up top from 5500 to 7000rpm and to hear and feel the surge of power at VTEC.

Last edited by Desmond Lamar MacRae; 09-28-2014 at 02:47 AM.