2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DW1951
Hey, this is David over at HeelToe Auto. We've been working with the OP on this project. Big, big props to GE8FTW for making this a reality despite challenges along the way. We are super stoked to be a part of this.

Currently, we are just running wastegate spring pressure, which ends up being around 5psi in the current configuration. The turbo is breathing through what is essentially stock diameter exhaust. A new exhaust is in the works, and we suspect that just increasing the diameter of the exhaust will result in a slight boost increase. In the future, a boost controller and more boost. But first, a proper boost gauge and aftermarket wbo2 to monitor things. So far we have just been monitoring the stock MAP and wbo2 sensors using KTuner. Oh, and more importantly, KTuner's speed density support to be released soon i hear!!!
Hi David,
Is heeltoe auto the shop who did the install on this turbo system?

I also remember on the video, the amazing sound of the blow off valve...
is the blow off valve come standard with the Zage kit or is it an extra unit?
if it is extra unit, can't the boost adjusted on that unit?

and what will the speed density tuning do that can help tune the car?
Is your shop also the one who currently working on this new custom exhaust system?
Thanks

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by SunsetFit
Awesome thanks for detailed response! Was curious if it was exhaust restrictions. Also didn't realize he didn't have a boost gauge or wideband. No e85 nearby seems strange to me. Here in Michigan there are 3 gas stations with it in a 2 mile radius of me. My friend with a DSM said it made a large HP difference running e85 so that was why I was curious. Can't wait to get this kit myself
Yes lots of power to be made by using E85 in most forced induction applications.That's awesome that you have so much E85 so close. Send us some!! Haha Sadly, South Orange County is dryer than the Sahara when it comes to E85. Have to go to Central part of the county (Costa Mesa is closest) or North San Diego County (Oceanside). Either way, it's about 30 miles.

Originally Posted by arrow_runner
Is there a dyno chart? I'm going the Sprintex route but I'm curious if the turbo is still making power up to the redline like in BMW_Alpina's Sprintex dyno. Makes me want to upgrade the valve springs and go for higher RPMs.
There is...OP is working on getting the various plots from the tuner. When and if they get posted here, it will likely be a bit premature to make a judgement, as this current setup is not yet a good representation of what the standard kit is capable of. Once it's got a proper exhaust, boost control beyond the IWG spring, and a better ECU calibration with SD, we'll be in a better spot to make a judgement.

In the turbo game, the power output is basically whatever you want it to be, limited mostly by your bank account. I'm a big fan of the screw blowers like the Sprintex because of the linear power delivery and right-now response, but you are definitely more limited with that kit in terms of ultimate output.

Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hi David,
Is heeltoe auto the shop who did the install on this turbo system?

I also remember on the video, the amazing sound of the blow off valve...
is the blow off valve come standard with the Zage kit or is it an extra unit?
if it is extra unit, can't the boost adjusted on that unit?

and what will the speed density tuning do that can help tune the car?
Is your shop also the one who currently working on this new custom exhaust system?
Thanks
Hi!
No, OP did the install with a friend of ours, who is a technician at a local Independent.

Yes, that BOV that you are referring to was included in the kit. We have since swapped it out for an OE Evo 8 BOV which is a bit stealthier, both in terms of appearance and sound.

The SD will give the tuner a higher degree of resolution and control over the fuel and timing tables, particularly once the engine crosses over from vacuum to boost. Right now the tables are limited to vacuum only. Once the engine transitions into boost, the ECU is technically still in a vacuum load cell. Church being the resourceful, clever tuners that they are, were able to make it work, but it is far from optimized. Please understand - the tune is safe. But we had to leave a bunch of power on the table due to a lack of control. If we were to go back and re-tune today with SD and change nothing else, we could make more power simply because we could have better control over the fuel and timing across the rpm range.

HeelToe is actually a parts supplier, specializing in high performance, specialty, and Genuine Honda/Acura parts. We also support 4G63 Mitsubishi platforms a little bit too We'll be helping OP get the parts for the exhaust, and he'll be having a local fabricator take care of construction.

Although we do a lot with the bigger, heavier Hondas and Acuras like the Accord and TSX, our roots are in the simpler, smaller, lightweight Hondas of the 80s and 90s. The Fit has a lot of these characteristics that made the older Hondas so much fun!!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Do they have an announcement for when SD is going to be added? Planning on boosting mine in the next year and still debating between ktuner or aem f/ic. If they don't have it added by next year I fear I'll probably want to pay the extra 300-400 for a boomslang and get the f/ic just because it sounds like I'd get more power out of that until everything can be controlled by ktuner.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Cool project, an alternative to the Sprintex supercharger kit on a built motor for more boost. Would you mind posting the torque dyno graph once you have them available? The added torque makes the car more fun to drive for a daily beater. Honda should have made a force induction version of the Honda FIT with a Si badge. A practical fast light weight affordable commuter and grocery getter would make owning a Honda very cool.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:42 AM
^ Sure, i think OP is planning on posting the graphs once available.

Originally Posted by SunsetFit
Do they have an announcement for when SD is going to be added? Planning on boosting mine in the next year and still debating between ktuner or aem f/ic. If they don't have it added by next year I fear I'll probably want to pay the extra 300-400 for a boomslang and get the f/ic just because it sounds like I'd get more power out of that until everything can be controlled by ktuner.
No official date, but we've been in touch with KTuner, and it sounds like they are very close. If i had to guess, i'd say we are looking at several days, if not a few weeks. Even if it turned out to be longer, i would still go with KTuner. The piggyback solutions like the F/IC can be a little annoying when the ECU starts fighting the piggyback and making changes on it's own.

I've driven this car in a few different configurations - Totally stock back when OP bought it new off the lot, and then with the various NA mods that its had over the years, and then i did some pulls in it 3 days ago. Honestly, the tune came out way better than expected. I did pulls in 1-4 from about 3k to redline and each one was clean and knock free. The power delivery was quite good, really. This turbo is also pretty well matched to this engine. No surge under load, and the boost comes on smooth. And this is at 100% ground zero with this kit. So much potential here!!

I am truly impressed by the Fit in each iteration. It has been a fun car since day one and i think that with good suspension, pads and tires it is a fun track day tool that will teach you to drive well because you can't fix your mistakes with power. Add in a well sorted forced induction package and this thing turns into a little devil Can't wait to see where we end up after this next round of changes.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Was leaning towards ktuner anyways. Looks like I can get it on the heeltoe website too sounds soon enough that I won't have to worry. Now my only worry is if things are still in stock next year when I get to doing this. (want to buy a third car before starting this project so I have something to drive while its being done so that's why next year)

Old 08-04-2016, 12:08 PM
I contacted zage last night and within hours they responded with a turbo kit price, pretty awesome customer service so far.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I forgot to ask,

Any turbo lag?

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 08-04-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
I just do more research on Zage Turbo kit, because I am really interested for my car...
there are some good review like where a Yaris used this turbo kit for 2 years and doing fine:
Zage Turbo Kit Install - Toyota Yaris - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

and there are an 9 year old review which is not so good:
Return Of The Taiwan GT turbos (background) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
but if Zage still stay in business after 9 years, I think they had improved in quality,...
here is a conflicting 7 years old review:
zage turbo any good? - Page 3 - NASIOC
Another thing that worry me is there are so many connections with silicone hose,
that could potentially be leak point:

and this one on CRZ forum from a Honda Fit GE HYBRID owner in Pakistan that have his engine blown... he thinks it is because poor gasoline quality in Pakistan...
but still it worry me...
Zage turbo bolt on kit for CRZ/Fit Hybrid RS/Honda L15A7 - Page 17 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

I can't argue with the bang for the buck for this Zage kit,
it actually make more torque than my slightly modified Sprintex
(restrictor removed, port/polish intake elbow and port/polish lower intake manifold)
and I am confident this Zage kit can make even more horsepower with higher boost,

something that is hard to do for Sprintex since it don't have intercooler and prone to heat soak... unless going to water/meth injection (with it's own complexity)...
on the other hand, there are at least several car in this forum who had been using Sprintex for more than 50k miles (2 years or more) and still going strong no problem...,
That is the reason why it took me so long before I buy the Sprintex because
i want to make sure I understand all the challenge and see how reliable the Sprintex
before I buy it.

If this Zage kit also can provide the same reliability after at least 50k miles,
then Zage clearly have a great product with great value for money, (at about half price of Sprintex).

When Zage is proven to be reliable, at that time,
I will be really tempted to change from Sprintex to Zage or even try to build by own turbo kit.

in the meantime,
GE8FTW really deserve the recognition as the Pioneer (the first one) with Zage turbo on USDM Honda Fit (non hybrid) at fitfreak!

Attached Thumbnails Going turbo-1-80-5201_going_turbo_80_img_2372_63df96022b302ccb04cf726eb42c5880d3c3eee6_bb7b58183f0a72895a6c8.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Bmw, i too think its a lot of couplers on there. Id imagine you'd just be able to weld the ones that seem necessary.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:27 PM
I posted a reply here earlier today. Just waiting for a mod to approve. Not sure why that's needed....maybe because i was going to embed some pics from a photo storage site?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Hello,
it had been a while,
any updates so far?
and do you have the dyno graph from Church tuning yet?
Thanks

Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 AM
Hey!
No graphs yet...

Yeah, i made an update on 8/4 about 1pm....still waiting for mods to approve it.

I spent 45 minutes on that post. I replied to your posts, and a few others. I also added a detailed list of notes regarding the kit. There were two pics i tried to embed to go along with the notes.

I reached out to one of the admins to see what gives. Never heard back. I'd like to figure out what is going on there before i do that again.

Last edited by DW1951; 08-19-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Uh, mods? This is reeeally good info us GE8 owners would like to hear!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Amen brother. Where the heck are these guys????

Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Still waiting for approval ? I want update!

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Pulled the trigger on the Zage turbokit.. 13 Sport 5AT . Should be interesting. Have been talking with GE8FTW and I'm hoping I should be ready for install in a month or less~

Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Very interested in this kit. Zage said shipped to my door is $1389 for the kit.

What are you guys looking at total installed and driving down the street with it?

RDX injectors: $?
Fuel pump: $?
Installation: $?
Tune : $500? ( based off the price of my STI tune)

Am I missing anything?

Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by frogz
Still waiting for approval ? I want update!
Yes. Haven't been able to get an answer why my post a)required approval b)wasn't posted. Once i figure that out, hopefully we can post it, or i will re-write it.

Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Very interested in this kit. Zage said shipped to my door is $1389 for the kit.

What are you guys looking at total installed and driving down the street with it?

RDX injectors: $?
Fuel pump: $?
Installation: $?
Tune : $500? ( based off the price of my STI tune)

Am I missing anything?
Total price: Our numbers are skewed. OP got his kit secondhand...for like $800 shipped. It was about 90% complete...he had to buy some misc ancillary items that were missing i.e. oil feed line, banjo fittings, etc

Injectors: We sell em for like $200 ish. They are available all over the place. You'll need jumper harnesses because the RDX injectors use different connectors. We sell the Rywire ones, i think it's about $65 for all 4.

Fuel Pump: This build we are using a used Evo X fuel pump. Prices vary, but usually you can find one for $40-$80 via your local classifieds or FB/forums.

Installation: Your shop rate x 6-8 hours is my guess....if you can do any of the work yourself beforehand, it would be you your advantage. I.E. mount the intercooler, run the charge piping etc.

Tune: Will depend on the EMS you are using, but for say, KTuner, then $500 should be in the right ballpark. Some tuners have a higher rate than others though...one tuner down here quoted us at $8-900.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:41 PM
Hello,

congrats on your setup -- awesome!

I am serious now about a turbo project of my own. Please -- I need some input here...

Earlier kylerwho said --

Originally Posted by kylerwho
You can safely run cylinder pressure that will support 200wtq before you will have a rod coming out to say hello.

With a 15g this means 9psi will be your limit looking at the compressor map.
My plan is to run an electronically controlled boost setup using megasquirt. I'm not using a pre-fab kit -- I'm going to make the pipes myself with a TIG welder.

I'm looking for comment on these ideas:

-- probably use an OEM turbo, say from a Nissan 200sx (which has a compact builtin waistgate setup). Is this turbo too big? -- it's for a 2.0L of course.
-- I want to run 14lbs-22lbs of boost: does this mean I need forged pistons? What kind of rods? Any links? (Does not seem to be easy to find Honda aftermarket upgrades)
-- custom megasquirt piggyback board: to intercept into the ECU connector so I don't have to cut up the harness. Am I wasting my time here? -- will GE8FTW's tuning methods work with a lot more boost?
-- I would think I should go a grade or two thicker on the oil
-- aftermarket fuel pump, pressure regulator, and return line
-- bigger injectors
-- Now I want to pass emissions. The exhaust will be way too small for this kind of power --- so how does one make a custom exhaust that also passes emissions? Is this not possible?
-- Clutch -- at what torque will clutch slip? Boost? Any other drive-train problems?

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Going turbo