2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

OEM Intake inquiries

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
OEM Intake inquiries

Looking into intakes for the Ge8, seems they run round $300 for an aftermarket one. Considering my brother in law pickoneed up for is '16 ZR1 Silverado for $195 for a K&N, whereas it's $300 for my Ge8.... right.

But, that being said, the stock intake looks modible.

So questions are, it seems the stock air box has multiple chambers. One for the filter obviously, but it has 2 other main ones. I was wondering what those do?

It seems that the crank case vent goes into one, so perhaps that's an oil catch? Idk about the others.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Honda has always been big on harmonically balancing their intakes.
The s2000 was their big success, the stock intake was credited significantly with the success of the engine. Used to work at a dyno shop where the biggest joke was tuning aftermarket intakes on them. Don't know that we ever got a aftermarket one to truly run better than the stock one. Some made better top end, some made better bottom end but never found one that was worth the cubic dollars the owners paid for them.
We heard numbers like > 12MIL in finite analysis went in to the airflow design.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
I do recall reading that somewhere. I think MCM tested it too. It's more just a sound thing for me, more then performance of course. Especially running N/A. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, but I love that mechanical Honda growl.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SeEnCreaTive
Looking into intakes for the Ge8, seems they run round $300 for an aftermarket one. Considering my brother in law pickoneed up for is '16 ZR1 Silverado for $195 for a K&N, whereas it's $300 for my Ge8.... right.

But, that being said, the stock intake looks modible.

So questions are, it seems the stock air box has multiple chambers. One for the filter obviously, but it has 2 other main ones. I was wondering what those do?

It seems that the crank case vent goes into one, so perhaps that's an oil catch? Idk about the others.
I had tried 6 combination of intakes:
1. Stock Airbox, Stock Air Filter
2. Stock Airbox, K&N Drop In Filter
3. K&N Typhoon Intake Kit (CARB Legal)
4. Honda CR-Z Stock AirBox with Stock CR-Z Air Filter
5. Honda CR-Z Stock AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter
6. Mugen CR-Z AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter

The best of all is of course The Mugen CR-Z AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter and utilizing stock CR-Z Scoop for a true cold air intake system with twice the filtration area of the CR-Z or Honda Fit AirBox and still sound quiet unlike the crazy loud K&N Typhoon.

BUT The best bang for buck is the CR-Z Stock AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter...since it have that CR-Z scoop that collect incoming cold air right behind the front grill, you can buy the parts from Honda Dealer (I bought the CR-Z airbox used from one of the member here but you can find it at low price at Bernardi Honda), its OEM Honda quality!
Here is picture of CR-Z Stock AirBox (cover open) with K&N Drop In Filter (take note on the scoop)

Attached Thumbnails OEM Intake inquiries-1-80-1824_my_jdm_cr_z_mugen_airbox_80_dsc09227_zpsialn3gub_5833ea3d5fb1dfec01a160b0c25f5b6bc5450.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
I had tried 6 combination of intakes:
1. Stock Airbox, Stock Air Filter
2. Stock Airbox, K&N Drop In Filter
3. K&N Typhoon Intake Kit (CARB Legal)
4. Honda CR-Z Stock AirBox with Stock CR-Z Air Filter
5. Honda CR-Z Stock AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter
6. Mugen CR-Z AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter

The best of all is of course The Mugen CR-Z AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter and utilizing stock CR-Z Scoop for a true cold air intake system with twice the filtration area of the CR-Z or Honda Fit AirBox and still sound quiet unlike the crazy loud K&N Typhoon.

BUT The best bang for buck is the CR-Z Stock AirBox with K&N Drop In Filter...since it have that CR-Z scoop that collect incoming cold air right behind the front grill, you can buy the parts from Honda Dealer (I bought the CR-Z airbox used from one of the member here but you can find it at low price at Bernardi Honda), its OEM Honda quality!
Here is picture of CR-Z Stock AirBox (cover open) with K&N Drop In Filter (take note on the scoop)

Ah, never considered a CRZ intake, I was just assuming it was identical. I see it has 2 large chambers, do you know what they do? One is for filter obviously, not sure what the other is for

Also I like loud intakes, not exhausts xD

Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Harmonic wave control in the intake, makes it quieter(Sound is lost horsepower.... ), and increases flow. Keeps th intake pulses from beating the air filter up and help draw vapor from the CCV system.