2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

DIY: 09 Honda Accord's Horn Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Yes, I have a body clip tool, been a while since I picked it up, but I believe it was a Matco.
Looks like the tool on the left.

If you don't have access to this tool use a very small flathead screw driver slide it in the side of the clip and twist it. The center of the clip should pop up, then you should be able to pull it up and you have 2 options, either pull the center of the clip out, followed by the base, or pull the whole clip out. Installation is the reverse.

Honestly I don't understand why people have such a difficult time keeping these from breaking.
yup i used to work at the dealer and had the center one myself.. if the clip is hard to remove spray it with silicone spray or wd40 itll come apart easily afterwards

Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gs3boynyc
Just installed it..those clips are a pain! But the horn sounds great! I was a little worried at first when i plugged it in and it didn't work...but when i bolted it in the horn went HONK HONK!! YAY!
Hey what's up?! Well this happened to me two the 2nd time around when I installed another accord horn! The fiRst one worked when it wanted to, sometimes the horn would fade in and out and etc!so I went back to my local dealership and they replaced it with a new one !so I installed the second and the same thing happen as u, it didn't work! I went back to make sure it was grounded off correctly , then it started working perfectly till today!! It was raining all day today and on the way to work the rain was extreme ! So on the way home , I wanTed to honk at someone , my horn didn't work !! The only thing I can think of is maybe all the water off the rain messed the contact for the ground ? Or what else can it be? Has anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Changed my horn out today. What a difference! Glad I did this, took me maybe 15 minutes total....

The horn didn't work immediately as well for me. I waited about 5-10 minutes and honked again and it has been consistent.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Ok, I did the horn upgrade today. It was fairly easy, but in no way easy on the nerves loll

I used a multi tool to pry up the clips on the first cover/panel to be removed. One very important bit of info when removing the clips: the center circle of the clip needs to be pried up and then the outer ring... Every time i heard a crack/snap i was freaking out. I ended up making a mild scratch against the metal on the hood from this ahhhh! FYI just bought this car.

When i finally got the first cover off, i had a very hard time with the second cover. Those 2 clips are definitely meant to snap off.(thankyou collegehillshonda for the extra clips, whew!) I was wrestling with the cover and started to see one the sides slowly cracking!!!

Well, i eventually figured out that a pair of pliers make things sooo much simpler. I gently wrestled each side of the cover out until the clips were protruding far enough. Once i had enough space I took a pliers and wedged it in-between the cover and the clips. with the pliers grabbing the clips I as able to simply yank it out.

The wire slack thing wasn't such a problem. There is electric tape holding a few wires together. It stretches pretty easily although i'm starting to wonder if simply removing the tape would have been easier. Once the bolt to the old horn was removed putting on the new horn is a snap.

Side note: The process for disconecting the electrical conector for the horn was never mentioned... It wasnt a big deal but that would have been helpful. I'm a bit of a newb

After placing the secondary horn cover back on with the 2 clips i put back on the 1st one. Ive noticed that the 1st cover with the 6 clips or so doesn't sit completely flush with the body. I hope that wont be a problem.

anyway, i closed the hood and tried the horn. wow, its so much better than the roadrunner version i had in their before.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I hate to say it, but if the black plastic cover isn't aligned right, you need to pull the clips and re-seat it. I've pulled the clips multiple times, and once you get the hang of it, it's very easy, without any risk of breakage. As you report, prying up the center piece first is essential.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM
crap... I was afraid of that. This time i suppose ill usee a mini screw driver instead of a multi tool.

I noticed that this upgrade does expose the wire connector to the horn. I was thinking of wrapping electric tape around it, what do you think?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Couldn't hurt...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
I'm a fan of heat shrink tubing.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by anime2k3
I ended up making a mild scratch against the metal on the hood from this ahhhh! FYI just bought this car.
What the hell were you doing that caused you to scratch the hood? Were you attempting this with the hood closed?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
hah! not the hood. my mistake. I was having trouble removing the second enclosure to get to the 12mm bolt for the horn.

I was wretsiling with the 2 clips that hold that flimsy plastic cover in place. The platic cover was starting to crack. I tried using my multi tool to pry out those little plastic pins and ended up making a small scratch in the metal area around the engine.

Heat shrink tubing is probably the best way to go. What do you guys think who have done this? have you done anything with the connector?

I removed all the push pins again and the cover still wont align perfectly flush against the edge. perhaps im not putting them on in the correct order. any ideas?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have a brand new Accord Horn 38100-STK-A02. $15 Shipped.

PM me!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone know where to get the body panel clip pullers? i just went to all my local tool/auto parts stores and couldnt find one anywhere!!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ATLfit10
Anyone know where to get the body panel clip pullers? i just went to all my local tool/auto parts stores and couldnt find one anywhere!!
I seem to recall just using a screwdriver to lift the center bit then under the outside edge. Did not break any either

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I seem to recall just using a screwdriver to lift the center bit then under the outside edge. Did not break any either

yea, thats what I always did on my accord which is probably the reason I only had like 5 left holding my bumper on lol!! I just want to get one of these tools to minimize the possibility of breaking them because I know this wont be the only time I take these clips off. maybe I am a bit clumsy

Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
THANK YOU!! More inf for 2010 horn upgrades

Followed this and now I have a '10 Accord horn in my '10 fit!

A few things - because i'm a NOOB and didn't know any better:

1. The clips that "pop out" - pop out the head part first. lol. i know this may seem "obvious" , but to me (and hopefully some other noobs), this wasn't (at first). Pop the head out, then they just come right out (duh).

2. There is NO WAY that you will be able to get the horn wire / input to face LEFT (so that the horn opening is facing up). However, you can get it so that it would be difficult for water to get in/ stay in/

3. The 2nd set of clips - just take ONE out. and you can do this WITHOUT breaking it. Just take your time - and it will come out. I did my mod w/o taking both out. One is good, and leaves sufficient space to remove / install the horn.

4. After your install, when putting the grille back - make sure that you put the Grille UNDER the lip. You can barely see it - so you have to look for it. don't be a dummy like me and pop all the clips back in and then notice that the LIP wasn't secured.

I put in a '10 Accord Horn because it didn't require much thinking, and it was only $28 from Honda.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
'09 or '10?

I have a '10 Fit sport. I was about to order the 38100-STK-A02 (I believe this is the '09 accord horn) and read the previous post about the '10 horn. Is there a change that I should be aware of before making the order?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zerogeek
I have a '10 Fit sport. I was about to order the 38100-STK-A02 (I believe this is the '09 accord horn) and read the previous post about the '10 horn. Is there a change that I should be aware of before making the order?
just order it by part number, dont worry about the year.

im not 100% if its the same, but ive installed 38100-STK-A02 and can bet with certainty that it will 'fit'

Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Order placed!

Called College Hills Honda and ordered part 38100-STK-A02. They are also sending clips (although I get the feeling that I'm paying for them).

Just wanted to let everyone know that I talked with Justin and he told me that they removed the horn from the site due to failure rate where water, grime, etc was getting into the horn either due to improper installation or whatever and they do not offer any warranty on the item, but are more than willing to sell the part.

I'm guessing this relates to the problem some have noted with mounting the opening facing up and/or problems that some have had with the horn stopping working. Anyhow, maybe don't mention that it's for a FIT if you are ordering and worried about a warranty. But honestly, it's a cheap part and I can't imagine fussing with warranty issues vs just getting another if needed

Part isn't in stock so he doesn't expect me to get it until late next week. No biggie as it gives me time to buy mesh for the A/C area! Like many others, this/these will be my first mods. Thanks everyone for all the great info! I look forward to doing a DIY CAI next

Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=zerogeek;902627]Called College Hills Honda and ordered part 38100-STK-A02. They are also sending clips (although I get the feeling that I'm paying for them).

Just wanted to let everyone know that I talked with Justin and he told me that they removed the horn from the site due to failure rate where water, grime, etc was getting into the horn either due to improper installation or whatever and they do not offer any warranty on the item, but are more than willing to sell the part.

I'm guessing this relates to the problem some have noted with mounting the opening facing up and/or problems that some have had with the horn stopping working. Anyhow, maybe don't mention that it's for a FIT if you are ordering and worried about a warranty. But honestly, it's a cheap part and I can't imagine fussing with warranty issues vs just getting another if needed

Part isn't in stock so he doesn't expect me to get it until late next week. No biggie as it gives me time to buy mesh for the A/C area! Like many others, this/these will be my first mods. Thanks everyone for all the great info! I look forward to doing a DIY CAI next [/quote
I ordered the accord 09 horn from college hills on Mon 8/23 and was told the same thing "no warranty, out of stock, probably wont receive it till late next week". I also ordered the Maplight upgrade for the base and I think I'm waiting for parts on that as well.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by shaka808
Followed this and now I have a '10 Accord horn in my '10 fit!

A few things - because i'm a NOOB and didn't know any better:

1. The clips that "pop out" - pop out the head part first. lol. i know this may seem "obvious" , but to me (and hopefully some other noobs), this wasn't (at first). Pop the head out, then they just come right out (duh).

2. There is NO WAY that you will be able to get the horn wire / input to face LEFT (so that the horn opening is facing up). However, you can get it so that it would be difficult for water to get in/ stay in/

3. The 2nd set of clips - just take ONE out. and you can do this WITHOUT breaking it. Just take your time - and it will come out. I did my mod w/o taking both out. One is good, and leaves sufficient space to remove / install the horn.

4. After your install, when putting the grille back - make sure that you put the Grille UNDER the lip. You can barely see it - so you have to look for it. don't be a dummy like me and pop all the clips back in and then notice that the LIP wasn't secured.

I put in a '10 Accord Horn because it didn't require much thinking, and it was only $28 from Honda.
Shaka, can you share the Honda Part # for the 10 Accord Horn you installed?
Is it the same Part # that Punisher and zerogeek are referencing?
thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY: 09 Honda Accord's Horn Upgrade